question about mul

Edwin_Su

First Post
Tireless: You need to sleep 6 hours in a 72-hour period(instead of a 24-hour period) to gain the benefit ofan extended rest.

isen't it a dis advantage to only be able to gain benefit of extended rest only once evry 72 hours instead of once evry 24 hours ?

or am i seeing this wrong

party rests ( including mul character)
adventure al day
set up camp at the end of the day and rest
al characters ready to go next morning exept the mul
who wants to stay camped another 2 days so he can regain surges and daylies too

???

Stormtalon

First Post
No, what it means is the following:

Day 1: Party rests, everyone except the Mul sleeps, everyone gets benefit. Mul sits around, alert and on guard, but still technically resting.
Day 2: Same as above.
Day 3: NOW the Mul needs to catch 6 hours of shuteye or he's boned.

Alternately, Mul sleeps for 2hrs per night each of the three days, and is just as rested as everybody else.

jbear

First Post
No.

I understood it this way.

You can only take an extended rest every so often. I don't remember off the top of my head, but let's say once every 24 hours. As long as the mul has rested 6 hours within the last 72 hour period when the 24 hour time ticks over and you can legally rest again the mul immeadiately receives the benefits of an extended rest without any rest at all. He gets his dailies back and all his healing surges, hp back to full, AP and all.

He can get away with this twice in a 48 hour period. the next 24 hours after that he will have to rest at least 6 hours to benefit from an extended rest. Then he can go for another 48 hours without rest and benefit once each 24 hours as though he had rested. He's one tough mo' fo'!

Edwin_Su

First Post
No, what it means is the following:

Day 1: Party rests, everyone except the Mul sleeps, everyone gets benefit. Mul sits around, alert and on guard, but still technically resting.
Day 2: Same as above.
Day 3: NOW the Mul needs to catch 6 hours of shuteye or he's boned.

Alternately, Mul sleeps for 2hrs per night each of the three days, and is just as rested as everybody else.

so the other players het to use al their daily powers 3 times in the 72 hour period and the mul only once

jbear

First Post
No, he gets them 3 times as does everybody else. But he only needs to sleep 6 hours within that time period.

While he was, let's say, on guard, while the rest of his party slept he would regain his dailies, his surges, his hps and his AP, just as the rest of his party that were sleeping does. He can get away with this twice with absolutely no sleep. The next time the party rests, he will need to sleep 6 hours as well.

As I said before.

Edwin_Su

First Post
No.

You can only take an extended rest every so often. I don't remember off the top of my head, but let's say once every 24 hours. As long as the mul has rested 6 hours within the last 72 hour period when the 24 hour time ticks over and you can legally rest again the mul immeadiately receives the benefits of an extended rest without any rest at all. He gets his dailies back and all his healing surges, hp back to full, AP and all.

He can get away with this twice in a 48 hour period. the next 24 hours after that he will have to rest at least 6 hours to benefit from an extended rest. Then he can go for another 48 hours without rest and benefit once each 24 hours as though he had rested. He's one tough mo' fo'!

nowhere can i foind somthing about this
when the 24 hour time ticks over and you can legally rest again the mul immeadiately receives the benefits of an extended rest without any rest at all.
all other races regain dailies and healing surgues at the end of their rest
no rest means no regaining powers
So when it ticks over the other party members can go rest but the mul can't as he can only rest once evry 72 hours instead of once evry 24 hours

MarkB

Legend
No.

So, what's the timing here? Can he instantly re-summon his surges and daily powers at any two points in the 72-hour period? If not, does he need to wait 12 hours after his last rest or reset (the minimum interval before a normal character can begin another extended rest)? Or would it be 18 hours (the minimum interval between completing extended rests for normal characters)? Requiring him to wait a full 24 hours may put him behind the curve if the rest of the party rests earlier than that.

If he can instantly re-set everything, under what circumstances can he do so (assuming he meets the above timing prerequisites, if any)? Could he do so in the middle of combat?

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Tireless: You need to sleep 6 hours in a 72-hour period(instead of a 24-hour period) to gain the benefit ofan extended rest.

isen't it a dis advantage to only be able to gain benefit of extended rest only once evry 72 hours instead of once evry 24 hours ?

I had the same question when I read this too.

This will be an interesting thread to follow.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Basically what they are saying is that the mul's physiology, brain patterns, and circadian rhythm is still kind of set to the 24 hour clock, and surges/powers renew as they would for a normal character once every 24 hours (say in the morning) pretty much at the same time you would normally give the characters the benefits from and extended rest (assuming a normal character had their rest).

This is kind of arbitrary, but there it is, and the DM will have to determine when it happens. Assuming they are not trudging and battling for several days straight without any rest, this should still be doable.

If they happen to having a really long night storming the castle you can just say that it became available during that hallway at 3:00 in the morning when the party was walking, but was not available until the appropriate time (before of after combat.

There is definite room for some wonkiness. I mean this is Dark Sun where they very sand is out to get you, and the characters could be on the run for several days straight, DM fiat will prevail as to when it arbitrarily kicks in, preferably to the players favor.

Just a few thoughts from the top of my head. =O

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Wasn't there a rule somewhere that said if you did not rest in a 24 hour period you did not getthe benefits of an extended rest? I think that is what this is talking about. The Mul can go for three days without resting (and covering a lot of ground while not getting dailies or surges back) and then rest 6 hours and get the normal benefits of an extended rest.

This is how I intend to run it. I am certainly not handing out extended rest benefits without an extended rest being done.

Though with all the meditation and torpor around in DS, it will be a wonder if anyone needs to actually sleep to rest.

Remove ads