Question about SOAK

I'm playing in a standard medieval style game using the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. rules and there's some confusing about multiple SOAK values. If you have multiple SOAK values (like from your armour plus a tradition exploit) do they stack or does only the highest one apply? The GM is going with the highest one for now but this is confusing as exploits granting SOAK do not make sense if you already have high armour SOAK since they would only apply if something happened to your armour.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Generally, the highest applies unless specified otherwise. Sometimes, yes, wearing a lot of armor can rather render any natural SOAK irrelevant. Which exploits were you using?

Generally, the highest applies unless specified otherwise. Sometimes, yes, wearing a lot of armor can rather render any natural SOAK irrelevant. Which exploits were you using?

The ones we were discussing at the time were the Brawler exploit that grants SOAK 5 (blunt) as the character was wearing Studded Leather which grants SOAK 5 in general so it defeated the point of it and along those same lines the same issue with the Berserker who gains SOAK 5 while enraged but if you already have SOAK 5 then you get nothing. From there it developed more into a general discussion about the benefits of anything that grants you SOAK since the highest SOAK granted is usual 5 and most decent armour equals or outdoes this.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Actually I was wrong. I double checked.

SOAKs of different types stack. The common types are armor and natural (there's also magical). SOAKs of the same type use the highest.

The playtest document is kinda old; the SOAK types will be more clearly delineated in the final.

Actually I was wrong. I double checked.

SOAKs of different types stack. The common types are armor and natural (there's also magical). SOAKs of the same type use the highest.

The playtest document is kinda old; the SOAK types will be more clearly delineated in the final.

Awesome! Thanks, I'll show the group this post :)

So this is unrelated to my original question but still related to SOAK so I figured I'd ask it here. Do the size categories still provide bonuses and penalties to a creature's SOAK value the same way that they do to DEFENCE? And if they do, what are those penalties/bonuses as I can't find them on the website or in the latest playtest.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So this is unrelated to my original question but still related to SOAK so I figured I'd ask it here. Do the size categories still provide bonuses and penalties to a creature's SOAK value the same way that they do to DEFENCE? And if they do, what are those penalties/bonuses as I can't find them on the website or in the latest playtest.

For monster design, you mean? Yup. It's on the website!

http://www.woinrpg.com/creating-monsters/

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah, you probably recall Ogres having a note about 5 SOAK from size? Yeah, that's gone (the website version of the ogre is the latest).

Ah, you probably recall Ogres having a note about 5 SOAK from size? Yeah, that's gone (the website version of the ogre is the latest).

I was actually thinking about the section on rolling your height &weight and how it could change your size category. That's good to know about the Ogres though.

Remove ads