Question on Spellpool (Mage of the Arcane Order Prc)

Faskill

First Post
Hello,

I have a very simple question with Spellpool that I haven't found the answer to right now by looking into the forums, so maybe the answer is obvious.

Does this ability allow you to cast a spell that you haven't learnt?

Thanks in advance for your help

N'raac

First Post
MotAO said:
Calling a Spell: Calling a spell from the Spellpool can be done at any distance but requires the caster to have an open, unused spell slot of the appropriate level. Wizards preparing spells for the day decide at that time whether to leave some spell slots open. A spellcaster can call only for a spell of a level that he could normally cast. He can call a number of spells per day whose total levels are equal to or less than half his caster level (round down, minimum one). For example, Turial Edemont, a 5th-level wizard/4th-level mage of the Arcane Order can call one 4th-level spell per day, two 2nd-level spells per day, or any other combination of spells whose levels do not exceed four, assuming he has slots available and his Spellpool debt isn’t too high (see below). When a caster calls a spell, he takes a full-round action to concentrate on his focus (which provokes attacks of opportunity). The spell appears in the caster’s mind at the beginning of his next turn and can be used immediately. However, if he does not cast the called spell within a number of minutes equal to his caster level, it fades from his mind as though cast. A wizard cannot learn a called spell, despite its temporary presence in his consciousness, though of course he could later attempt to learn the spell through standard means.

Emphasis added. Up to there, I think it suggests he may call a spell he does not already know. However, the final statement, which basically says you can't call it and then add it to your spellbook, would be meaningless if he could only call spells he already knows, so he must be able to call spells he does not know.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Hello,

I have a very simple question with Spellpool that I haven't found the answer to right now by looking into the forums, so maybe the answer is obvious.

Does this ability allow you to cast a spell that you haven't learnt?

Thanks in advance for your help
I'll be honest, I've never heard of anyone thinking that it wouldn't do that. It seems like the point of the ability!

That's why it's such a common recommendation for Sorcerers as a PrC, to get them access to spells they can't normally learn.

Faskill

First Post
Thanks a lot for your answers, I didnt understand why people thought it was powerful for a wizard. Now I do ;)

Its especially useful in my campaign since we can't use the spell compendium before level 3, and so I won't learn any 1st lvl spell from this book, which is quite a handicap

Last edited:

Remove ads