Level Up (A5E) Question on Wildborn, Ecclesiarch, and other 1/3 casters.

xiphumor

Legend
The Wildborn archetype specifies that their cantrips count as ranger spells, but not their leveled-spells, which continue to be counted as druid spells. The Ecclesiarch (from MoAR:L&D) does the same thing with marshal cantrips and cleric spells respectively. Notably, the O5e Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knight do not bother with making either cantrips or leveled spells rogue or fighter specific, instead leaving everything as wizard spells.

Is there something I'm missing in the mechanics that makes this necessary? And if so, why does this only apply to cantrips and not to leveled spells?

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
The way that I've always intended for it to work on tertiary casters I write (such as the Ecclesiarch and Sacred Agent) is that the spells that you cast count as spells for the class that is casting them (for the character with the tertiary caster archetype). So for example, the spells picked out for a Sacred Agent count as rogue spells for them, but not for every rogue in the setting.

When I refer to a class's spell list, it's more just a convenient set of prepackaged spells to pull from, though you don't have to pull from a full caster's list any more (I didn't with Sacred Agent, for example). That's one of the more importantly useful things about having non-classical schools of spells in A5E as well, IMHO.

I can't speak to the design of others, though.

Gnome Rager

Villager
The way that I've always intended for it to work on tertiary casters I write (such as the Ecclesiarch and Sacred Agent) is that the spells that you cast count as spells for the class that is casting them (for the character with the tertiary caster archetype). So for example, the spells picked out for a Sacred Agent count as rogue spells for them, but not for every rogue in the setting.

When I refer to a class's spell list, it's more just a convenient set of prepackaged spells to pull from, though you don't have to pull from a full caster's list any more (I didn't with Sacred Agent, for example). That's one of the more importantly useful things about having non-classical schools of spells in A5E as well, IMHO.

I can't speak to the design of others, though.
I liked this as an approach. I thought it looked relatively future proof and couldn't see any obvious immediate issues either.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
The non-classical spell lists are intentionally there as a design hook. I do remember that from the designer discussions while we were working on the system. So I figured I'd start hanging stuff on them. :)

Remove ads