• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Questions (3.5ed)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Ah ha! I finally figured out this whole pun-pun thing and why I have never heard of it being attempted. It assumes that your DM allows you to play a kobold, that you are using Forgotten Realms or it's creatures, that Assume Supernatural Traits is an allowed feat (where does that come from anyway?), and that your DM and your party will let you spend a month of in game time doing this.

I have yet to meet a DM who would allow this "perfect storm" to exist. Heck, I have yet to find a DM that lets people play kobolds, not that I want to be one.

The most broken part of the Pun Pun combo is actually the creature you turn into to fuel the trick. The Sarruhk or whatever it's called is probably the dumbest idea for a monster. EVER. I don't know how the assume supernatural trait feat works and if there's any limits on it, but that's probably the second most broken item in the combo.

But yeah, I have to wonder why the OP even cares about the how or why of this stuff. No one should ever actually try to do it in a real game, even the creators of these exploits usually say as much! There's a term used for these things..."Theoretical Optimization." It's basically just a form of mental masturbation, because anything as game breaking as Pun Pun or the Candle of Invocation trick would never be allowed by any experienced DM and would completely wreck a game it was allowed in. It's nice to point out gross negligence and hidden loopholes in rules text to encourage better proofreading and editting in future books, but there's no real practical use for any of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads