• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions about Delay and Durations

Zsig

Explorer
I got a couple questions that came up while playing. Even though the rules points me one way, it just doesn't feel right, so I'm gonna ask for the people here:

1) While playing that Dwarf Swordmage on a local event, we had an initiative order that looked like this: Ranger, Swordmage, "Enemy 1", "Enemies 2", rest of the party.

Enemy 1, blinded me. DM told me I'd remain blind till the end of "Enemy 1"s turn. Ok, party went on, stabbed the creature and the thing vanished.
On my turn (since I went before it) I was still blind, then I told the DM I'd Delay my action. Next thing, it's "Enemy 1" again, DM states that the creature is dead, and (at the end of its supposed turn) I'm no longer blinded, I say "Ok, in this case, I'll act right now".

Now my question: Is it legal? Is it fair? Is it right?
I didn't complain there (DM didn't seem to care either), but I can see lots of ways of abusing this.

2) Similar question, different scenario.

I'm down to "negative" HPs, I already rolled N death saving throws, and already failed 2. I'm one step away from death...

On my turn I realize that my friend is pretty close to me and that he could save me this turn.

According to the RAW (or at least the way I understood them) I could Delay my turn (as Delay is not an action), so that my friend could come to me and get me healed (with Heal, or whatever), and then i take my turn after his, and I'm ok!

Is it legal? Is it fair? Is it right?

3) This is more some sort of playing experience tip question than a rules question, but anyway.

So far I've played in at least 5 groups, both as DM and as a player. Each group has different sorts of player, different mentality, age, maturity, etc.

One common trend though, among all groups everyone ALWAYS forgets to roll their saves at the end of their turns!!! EVERY TIME!! (well there are 2 exceptions: stun and unconsciousness, as there's no way you can forget to roll when you got these).

We (I'm saying we, because even me as DM or as player forget them too) always remember to roll only when the character's next turn starts (in the case of ongoing damage), or on someone else's turn.

My question: Is this a general trend? If not, what do you do to make them remember? It's quite easy to remember the player in question to compute his HP loss due to ongoing damage at the start of the turn, but not to roll for save in the end, maybe it would be easier if they both acted together?

Last edited:

Arksorn

First Post
1) I think you did it right.
2) You cannot delay if you cannot take actions (phb 288)
3) we have cards for ongoing conditions, that seems to help, but still not perfect

Arksorn

First Post
1) I am not sure if the designers intended the "End Harmful Effects after You Act" (phb 288) to cover this. The way it is written it does not, so if they intended it to, maybe that will be in a future update.

Kordeth

First Post
1) I am not sure if the designers intended the "End Harmful Effects after You Act" (phb 288) to cover this. The way it is written it does not, so if they intended it to, maybe that will be in a future update.

In this case, the PC was blinded until the end of the enemy's turn, not his own, so Delaying doesn't affect the duration.

Remove ads