Pathfinder 1E Questions about the use of wands

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
1. Can a wand contain a spell of personal range? I'm thinking Shield for this set of questions, specifically.

2. Is there a verbal component, command word, or the like to activate a wand? Do they work in the area of a Silence spell?

3. Is there a somatic component to activate a wand, or some gesture equivalent? How does that work with a personal spell?

4. Does a sorcerer wearing armour have an arcane failure percent while activating a wand?

5. For a wand with a personal spell, there are no targeting decisions to make. If the wand is in a pocket or holster and pointed generally near yourself, can you grasp the handle and activate it without drawing it out?

Thanks in advance! :) -blarg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
1. Can a wand contain a spell of personal range? I'm thinking Shield for this set of questions, specifically.

I would allow it and can't find anything in the RAW that state you can't.

2. Is there a verbal component, command word, or the like to activate a wand? Do they work in the area of a Silence spell?

Not for a specific-purpose wand like a Wand of Fear, Wand of Polymorph, etc. A wand as an arcane focus only replaces material components, but named wands are not foci. You are not casting the spell yourself. The wand casts the spell. The reason that wands are created is that they provide a convenient way for spells to be cast without components or spell slots and, in some cases, allow non-spellcasters to use them. Since some wands can be used by non-spellcasters, it would not make sense for verbal and somatic components to be required, because a non-spellcaster would not know them.

Therefore, I would rule that they *WOULD* work within the area of a silence spell. Another reason to make a wand.

3. Is there a somatic component to activate a wand, or some gesture equivalent? How does that work with a personal spell?

No. For the same reason there is no verbal component.

4. Does a sorcerer wearing armour have an arcane failure percent while activating a wand?

No, because he is using a magic item, not casting a spell. The WAND is casting the spell.

5. For a wand with a personal spell, there are no targeting decisions to make. If the wand is in a pocket or holster and pointed generally near yourself, can you grasp the handle and activate it without drawing it out?

Thanks in advance! :) -blarg

Maybe. I believe all Wand descriptions specify "while holding it." I read this as meaning that you have to have or maintain the wand in your grasp. I would rule that you have pull it out of a holster or pocket to be holding it. BUT I would meet players halfway. If you want to "hold" your wand in your pocket (double entendre alert) and use it, or otherwise use the wand beneath your clothing to hide the fact that you are using it, I would allow it with a successful Dexterity (Sleight of Hands) check.

Wands are spell trigger items, and spell trigger items are activated thus:

Spell Trigger: Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it's even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Spell trigger items can be used by anyone whose class can cast the corresponding spell. This is the case even for a character who can't actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin. The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Arcane Spells and Armor
Source PRPG Core Rulebook pg. 83
Armor restricts the complicated gestures required while casting any spell that has a somatic component. The armor and shield descriptions list the arcane spell failure chance for different armors and shields.

If a spell doesn’t have a somatic component, an arcane spellcaster can cast it with no arcane spell failure chance while wearing armor. Such spells can also be cast even if the caster’s hands are bound or he is grappling (although concentration checks still apply normally). The metamagic feat Still Spell allows a spellcaster to prepare or cast a spell without the somatic component at one spell level higher than normal. This also provides a way to cast a spell while wearing armor without risking arcane spell failure.

Bolded the relevant sections.

Based on that, the answers to your questions (for me) would be.

1. Yes (target is the wand user)
2a. Yes. There is a command word, so 2b. No. You cannot use it in an area of silence
3. No. There is no somatic component.
4. No. There is no arcane spell failure chance.
5. Up to the individual DM but to me... No. You would have to draw (wield) the wand to use it.

Greenfield

Adventurer

Yes, but it can't be used on anyone other than the wand wielder. The fact that it's in a wand or on a scroll doesn't change the fact that it's "Personal".

Yes. Spell trigger items are command activated.

Remembering the 'Swish and Flick" thing, eh? :) Cool. The answer is no, though most do require that you point the wand at the desired target. So in that sense, using a wand while Grappled would be a problem, even if it's in hand at the time.

No. There being no somatic component, in the formal sense, means that it can't be interfered with by armor.

Questionable. "Range" is sort of a misleading term here, since "Personal" spells have no range. Or, to be more specific, the range is "Touch". If the wand isn't touching the target, it doesn't work. Now, does the grasping of the wand count as "Touch"? That's up to your DM. To me, the answer would be no, particularly if you view a wand as having "handle". If there's a specific grip end then there's a specific business end, and I'd say that it's the business end that has to touch the target. And no, being in the holster/sleeve doesn't count, at least not in my games. YMMV, of course.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Just realized I posted an answer to a Pathfinder thread. Couldn't find where y'all were getting your quotes from. Just living up to my user name. Anyway, ignore my earlier post and carry on.

Remove ads