Questions on space combat

Taralan

Explorer
I just read the NEW Space PDF plus the Future Core and have a few questions.

Although the rules mention CPU cycles and cyber warfare there does not seem to be any explanation of the following :

1- How is cyberwarfare conducted ?
2- What is the effect of losing CPU cycles after a cyber attack or ion torpedo ? How do we determine what systems need to shutdown for lack of CPU ? Can we repair the computer ?
3- how does power management work ? Do we need to allocate power to the different ship systems and if so how is that done ? How is the power/fuel replenished ?
4- Is it possible to target another ships specific systems with our weapons ?

I am sure I will have other questions but that all that comes to mind at the moment.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this as I am about to try a star-trek type campaign with the system soon.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In order!

1. Page 38 lists various actions, including LOG vs. E-DEFENSE as an electronic attack.
2. In the basic starship combat rules, reducing the computer to zero CPU shuts the ship down. It can be repaired as noted on the same page(LOG check to repair 2 CPU). Shutting down individual systems from lack of CPU is a bit more advanced - you'll need to know what the CPU requirement of each component is, which isn't included in the rules in that book.
3. No, you don't allocate power. However some exploits (such as Reinforce Shield) allow you to divert extra power to certain subsystems. Fuel is replenished by buying it - that's on page 22 (typically 10xr per unit).
4. Yes, using exploits like Target Engines.

Last edited:

Taralan

Explorer
Thanks Morrus.

I see I had neglected the exploits for the targeting and reinforce shield. For electronic warfare I don't see anything on page 38 but I see some brief description on page 3:26 which must be what you mean unless I am missing something. There is a long description of the various scanning options on p. 39 but nothing of the sort for e-warfare on 38.

At any rate I now see that a successful e-attack reduce the CPU by 1d6. You mention the basic combat rules. Are there advance rules ? I also have the starship const. Manual. Would that allow to determine what systems should be shutdown as the CPU is depleted ?

Finally I noticed the system override exploit which seems interesting. Does that require some opposed rolls ? If not it seems very powerful.

I hope I am not annoying you with too many questions but I am looking forward to testing the system.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks Morrus.

I see I had neglected the exploits for the targeting and reinforce shield. For electronic warfare I don't see anything on page 38 but I see some brief description on page 3:26 which must be what you mean unless I am missing something. There is a long description of the various scanning options on p. 39 but nothing of the sort for e-warfare on 38.

Sorry, page 28, not 38. My mistake!

At any rate I now see that a successful e-attack reduce the CPU by 1d6.

Awesome - you found it. :)

You mention the basic combat rules. Are there advance rules ? I also have the starship const. Manual. Would that allow to determine what systems should be shutdown as the CPU is depleted ?

So when you build a ship with that book, you have a CPU requirement for each component. As your ship's CPU capacity is reduced, you have to choose which systems to take offline to remain within the current total.

Finally I noticed the system override exploit which seems interesting. Does that require some opposed rolls ? If not it seems very powerful.

It requires a LOG vs e-DEFENSE attack, as described in the exploit. :)

I hope I am not annoying you with too many questions.

Not at all!

Taralan

Explorer
Sorry, page 28, not 38. My mistake!

I see it on page. 26. Strange ��

So when you build a ship with that book, you have a CPU requirement for each component. As your ship's CPU capacity is reduced, you have to choose which systems to take offline to remain within the current total.

Got it ! Do you plan on having some more detailed pre made ships or even an adventure to help see how we can use the various mechanics such as countdowns or e-warfare to best effect ?

It requires a LOG vs e-DEFENSE attack, as described in the exploit. :)

As I did not see any reference to a test in the description of the exploit, this made me realize I still had the beta version of the carreer PDF which has been updated. Now that I have the right file I see it !

Thanks.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Got it ! Do you plan on having some more detailed pre made ships or even an adventure to help see how we can use the various mechanics such as countdowns or e-warfare to best effect ?

Yup! A whole book full of them! :)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I understand, there's no reason that flying cars cannot use hex based combat rules, nor is there a reason for flying cars for combat not to be used with WOIN space. My objects are just map symbols and not for any particular game system, thus totally usable in WOIN.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I understand, there's no reason that flying cars cannot use hex based combat rules, nor is there a reason for flying cars for combat not to be used with WOIN space. My objects are just map symbols and not for any particular game system, thus totally usable in WOIN.

Although [WOIN] Space deals with large Star Trek/Star Wars navy-style starships with lots of crew and hexes of 1km across, in a number of months [WOIN] Redline will be a supplement about vehicles (both contemporary and futuristic), including flying cars. Perhaps keep an eye out for threads on that when it comes out? Sounds like it will be a perfect fit for your product!

Last edited:

Remove ads