Questions that need answering???

sylvyr

First Post
I have +7 from Dex, +3 From Wis, +3 from Int, +1 From dodge, and a set of bracers of defense +8. 32 not 33.

---Sylvyr Angel

BeauNiddle

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
TWF and fighting with a two-handed weapon is very roughly equivalent. If you are very strong it tips toward two-handed.

My problem with this situation is that you need 3-4 feat to master TWF and none for two-handed.

Obviously for balance purpose TWF should be a little better than using a two-handed weapon. Not 2nd edition better, just a little better.

And don't tell me TWF is for rogue. Spending 4 feats to use a two-bladed sword efficiently is clearly a fighter schtick.

Actually a double bladed weapon IS superior since you can use it double handed (for extra str damage) when you only get a single attack (i.e. have moved) but can freely switch to lots of extra attacks if necessary.

TWF with two seperate weapons is strongly debatable but probably slightly behind a two handed weapon (low AC enemies and strongly magical weapons make it slightly better but not much).

If your using two independent weapons then you want them to be the same so you can get weapon focus, wep spec and imp crit without to much hassle - however this limits you too light weapons (unless you want extra to-hit penalties). Double bladed weapons are superior to this on account of the fact that you only need one set of feats but you get damage as if for two normal weapons with only the penalties for light :)

Ranger's get the inferior version for free, if you spend the feats you get the decent version.

Hmm. For me the interesting fact is that dual wielding means (typically) losing your shield... That isn`t a really good idea, I think.
Well, my Ranger/Fighter uses a spiked shield as an offhand weapon and it has the shield expert feat, so this is not an issue. But actually I never was able to use this option (okay, I only played him once), I preferred using the Spiked Chain - it gave me some useful tactitcal advantage...

Troll

First Post
An double weapon is probably the superior choice. All the weapon specific feats apply to both ends, and you can use it as a two handed, or as a double weapon, depending on the situation.

Generally, two katanas is not an optimal choice because it's not a light weapon, so even with all the feats, you have a -4 to all attacks. That being said, When converting a second edition character, we just accepted the penalties and did it anyways. Turns out by level 12 or so, he didn't miss the -4 too much and was still a deadly fighter. If something was too hard to hit, he just put one sword away and used the other two handed.

Troll

Henry@home

First Post
Sylvyr, am I correct in surmising that your character has
STR 18
DEX 24
CON 10
INT 16
WIS 16
CHA -?

And has at least one level of monk and duelist?

If you are interested in getting full advantage out of those katanas, I suggest you convince your DM to let you take levels in Master Samurai from Sword and Fist. It would really fit your character concept well, I think.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
sylvyr said:
Another question,

Could I take a level as a ranger, then take imp two-weapon fighting? As long as I'm not wearing armor (Which I'm not and I have an AC of 33) I should be okay? That would leave open feets to be used for weapon spcialization and the like.

---Sylvyr Angel

Definitely don't bother.

You already have a Monk level, which lets you do a flurry of blows with twin Kama - extra attack at the price of -2 on all your attacks - and get your full STR bonus to damage on BOTH of these, without the need for any additional feats. Neat eh?

- admittedly not so much use if you are definitely a sword fighter though :(

zorlag

First Post
------

Well, for that tactic I'd use butterfly swords (dualwielded).

Butterfly Sword (1d6, 19-20/x2, slashing)

This weapon is from Oriental Adventures and is a legimate monk weapon. Just use flurry with these to gain the benefits of dualwielding (whatever they might be).

Z.:cool:

Remove ads