• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick doubts - Versatile weapon and Deft Strike

Dr_Sage

First Post
Hello fellows!

Quick doubts that need confirmation:

a) The +1 bonus damage for versatile is counted only once even if the power is a [3W] type? I think so.

b) If a rogue can use a wall to break LOS and hide, can he:

- Use Deft Strike to come back to LOS (2 squares movement part);
- Attack normaly with combat advantage (he was hidden from enemies and he is attacking with the same action as he came from behind the wall);
- Move 2 squares back to behind the wall (using his move action normaly);
- Repeat.

I think its all ok. I would like to confirm if he needs some feat, power, etc. to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Mort_Q

First Post
a) Yes.

b) Yes. Remember however, that this is a plain move, therefore if you leave a threatened square, you provoke.

DracoSuave

First Post
The thing to remember with using Deft Strike like that. The attack will break his Stealth, so he'll have to reroll when he returns to his total cover.

This usually isn't a problem, but sometimes it does matter.

Dr_Sage

First Post
Thank you both.

Yes, I remmember that Draco.

The rogue in my campaign have a high self-preservation instinct, and he uses that maneuver when walls are avaiable.;)

Tai

First Post
Remember that deft strike works at range, so you can throw a knife, still get your sneak attack damage, and avoid provoking an AoO.

DasachTra

First Post
The rogue in my game uses Deft Strike this way as well. I house-ruled to allow this.

Many think this is RAI for Deft Strike to be used in this fashion.

I must warn you, though, that after running our game for the last month, the rogue is outclassing the whole group damage-wise by getting CA every round. His CA die are a D6 (hand crossbow) + 2d8.

After careful consideration, I will be making a new house rule to limit how Deft Strike will work in conjunction w/ earning CA.

Keep in mind, the RAW (& biggest argument about this power) is that it CANT be used this way. The RAW states when using a power/attack you must have a target 1st. You can't target 1st, if you move 2 squares w/ Deft Strike, then attack.

There is another power, a level 7 power, called 'From the Shadows' which does very close to what many are allowing (including me) Deft Strike to be used as.

Check it out.

DracoSuave

First Post
Keep in mind, the RAW (& biggest argument about this power) is that it CANT be used this way. The RAW states when using a power/attack you must have a target 1st. You can't target 1st, if you move 2 squares w/ Deft Strike, then attack.

The power has a Special clause, which tells you to move before the attack, so you move, then resolve the attack. Declaring targets is a part of resolving the attack, and the movement happens before that. Had it said 'Effect:' then it'd be a -part- of resolving the attack.

It does work as they say.

And if your rogue is outdamaging in your party, he's doin' it right.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I must warn you, though, that after running our game for the last month, the rogue is outclassing the whole group damage-wise by getting CA every round. His CA die are a D6 (hand crossbow) + 2d8.

What are the rest of the group? I might consider this an issue if the entire group is maximised strikers, but if that were the case, d6+2d8+dex would be the bottom of the barrel.

Bear in mind that without combat advantage, a ranger should be doing 3d8 + 2xweapon bonus and a damage-oriented warlock is either doing 3d6+2 x mods OR is stopping foes from being where they want to be/attacking who they want to attack.

Strikers do more damage. That's what they do.

Remove ads