Quick Spell Feedback: Improved Fly

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Improved Fly
Transumtation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5

As fly, except you have a speed of 180 instead of a speed of 90.

Well? What do you think? Later!

karyant

First Post

Improved Fly
Transumtation

As fly, except you have a speed of 180 instead of a speed of 90.

If my memory is correct, Fly is a spell Level 3. So in my oppinion Improved Fly should be Sor/Wiz 4. :)

Crothian

First Post
What type of manuverbility does fly give? I think it would be more interesting to have different speeds at different types of Manuverabilites. So, 90 would be at perfect, but 360 would be clumsy.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Fly is good manueverability. I had planned to leave this spell the same, just with double the speed. I guess I could reduce it to 4th level, thoughts?

Various manueverability classes for different speeds would be interesting, but how would I do that? Just say what your move was your last action is your manueverability for your next move? It would be hard to vary it during the spell, but maybe being able to "pick" a fly speed/manueverability pair would be more interesting/useful?

Crothian

First Post
Here's how I'd do it. It would be as the fly spell except as follows.

Speed of 60 or less would be perfect manuverability
Speed of 61-100 would be good manuverability
Speed of 101-150 would be Average
Speed of 151-250 would be poor
And speeds of 251-400 would be clumbsy.

Each round you choose how fast you will go and that determines your manuverability.

As a fifth level spell it should allow for great speeds, which I think 400 is.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Abbreviating: manueverability with man

How about an easier "stepping?" Say, start out at 60 with perfect man then for every additional 60 feet of speed, reduce one man category.

So it would look like this:
60 feet - perfect
120 feet - good
180 - avg
240 - poor
300 - clumsy

A much simpler approach IMO. I'm still not sure about how to factor in man while being able to change speed...the system does not take changing man categories into account. The character using the spell can just pick what category he wants....

Any better?

Crothian

First Post
That's fine, I was just throwing numbers out there. Your right the system does not handle changing man mid flight. However, I'd just use the current man and apply it that round. I like it becasue it gives a person options and is more versatile. It's your spell, so the important thing is that you like it. ;)

Cloudgatherer

First Post
How does this look?

Improved Fly
Transumtation
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Similar to fly, except you pick which movement speed and maneuverability you would like to have from the following:

Fly speed Maneuverability
60 feet Perfect
120 feet Good
180 feet Average
240 feet Poor
300 feet Clumsy

Each round, you may change your fly speed and maneuverability category by one step. For example, during a round a wizard flying with a speed of 120 feet with a Good maneuverability can change his rating to Perfect or Average (with the associated speeds), but not to Poor or Clumsy.

Jens

First Post
There's a psionic power called Improved Fly or something like that. It's 6th level and grants double the speed of the 3rd level . Otherwise I think it's the same as the base power. It seems like the increased speed was deemed to be worth quite a bit (3 levels).

Edit: The meaning probably wasn't clear there. What I mean to say is that the proposed spell is *magnitudes* better than the existing power (duration, speed, level). While spells are often better than similar powers, I think this spell is a little too good. Maybe just copy the power and lower it to 5th level? Well... isn't that the original suggestion? :)

Last edited:

Zack2216

First Post
there is a feat in MotW that lets you improve your flying abilities. That means you could fly at 300 with only poor maneuverability.

Remove ads