WotBS Quicken effect in Castle Korstull

Mrpereira

Explorer
In my campaign we are getting close to entering the upper level of Castle Korstull.

First when I read the paragraph about the quicken effect I interpreted it as a state that happened automatically, however, after reading the description under Griiat it states that he knows about the quicken effect and uses it.

My question is the following: Will the players automatically learn about the effect when they cast their first spell and find that they have only used a quicken action, or will they have to find out somehow and make a conscious effort to take advantage of that environmental state?

I'd say that spellcasters feel some odd sense of magic always being on the tip of their tongue as they enter the area, and if they try to understand what it is allow a Knowledge (arcana) check (DC 25) to realize that they can cast all their spells quickened. And when they realize the place has subjective directional gravity, a Knowledge (the planes) check (DC 20) would be enough to figure out this is the Astral Plane, and that spells can be quickened here.

And, if you're feeling generous and are worried the party will be killed, you could just let it automatically happen the first time they cast a spell, but if they did not previously figure out how the area worked then they're too surprised to take advantage of it, basically skipping their standard action and just getting the swift spell.

Mrpereira

Explorer
I am actually more worried if the monsters will have a fighting chance if the players know about the effect :)

Last session the players were extremely focused on the elevator; planning to skip the rest of the first floor to go to the top, and thereby never learning how to control the elevator. I decided to let Pilus be nice and give them a premonition of how it would go (they do not know yet it was from him) and because it would be nice to see the elevator trap in effect. I had to turn up the deadliness of the trap, and by the 7th floor I finally managed to drop one of the Pc's below zero, the others were basically fit for fight (they did use a lot of potions). The challenge for me is that they have a Priest with Persist spell and an Incantatrix, så they have basically 10-15 persisted spells active (Not all of them affect all players).

Anyway thanks for the feedback, it is great that you still take the time so many years later to actively respond to questions and threads about this campaign.

Mrpereira

Explorer
I agree.

We never have used it before - ever, which is quite impressive considering the amount of 3.5 characters we have had. It will most likely also be the last time it happens :)

I think I will be doing the following: When they reach the top floor, they wil have a strange feeling in their guts due to the directional gravity - and a secret knowledge planes roll of a high DC (30-35 or so). If they make it, they will be given the information and that will be that. If they fail that row, they will not know anything before the fight starts. The first person to throw a spell will lose his bonus action due to the surprise of it - the others will then be able to react on that knowledge and take advantage of it.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
When I ran it, I had a knowledge planes check to learn about it, but the party would've found out quick anyway. I changed it so that spells that can be quickened HAD to be quickened -- no choice in the matter. Spellcasters are already overpowered w/o giving them 2 spells per round for free. Of course, both the astral contruct-creating psion and summoning druid in the party had spells/powers to use that couldn't be quickened, so they still had some fun...
It actually still works well for Griiat, too. He can spend pretty much every turn casting as a swift and dispelling w/ a rebuke undead usage as a standard.

I'd say the most annoying thing about the fights there was actually the gravity and keeping track of who was on the ceiling or the floor and so forth. Also, if I could do it over, I'd try to modify the floor plan and expand it. The way it's written, you aren't going to get an exciting room to room battle. You get a big cluster*&^% in the dance hall...if the enemies are smart enough to wait and let the party enter it and not attack as soon as they step in. Otherwise any sensible party will try to fall back to the narrow hallway and chokepoint the hordes of foes (Griiat can spoil those plans, but if you decide to introduce his forces, then the party's basically fighting nearly all of the floor's enemies at once and it'll be....bad).

Mrpereira

Explorer
Indeed, I have thought about the lay out of the fight. Fair enough to make an ambush and pick on them through the arrowslits, but no party will be pushed/forced into an open room, specially since they are the stronger part and will dictate where to go.

I made a trap for them on the ground floor, and will do the same here. They will enter the room, and be focusing on the dragon - I have an elf from Ycelgled Phurrst WHO will recognice the name, and while they are focusing there the eneymy will move into position, entering from all doors, and Thus not spoiling the fight/surprise - or the fact that spells can be quickened :)

Remove ads