• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"[QUOTE]["All they care about is pleasing there stockholders."

Lady Dragon

First Post
seein as how it was my quote that started all this I thought i would comment further on what I meant.

Any company wants to make a profit,it fact I would like to see WoTC make a profit as well especially the D&D department because if its making a profit it means its doing things right. But unfortunatly thats not the way things go when it comes to pleasing shareholders. In this case all they care about are those quarterly reports that go out.So if the latest toy is quite selling to expectations they have to make the money up elsewhere and the things they don't care about so much are usually the fall guys.

The real problem right now with WoTC is that the upper level management doesn't know q thing about the product they sell.They are buisiness men and they would sell toasters exactly the same way they sell RPG's. They try to aim for a general audience of mainstream consumers when they arfe actually only serving a small niche. The feel they have to make a big profit or the product was not worth producing.

A D20 company in most cases will be happy if a book they produces sells enough to recoup all expenses,pay employees and pay the morgage etc of the companies owner.

But WoTC/hasbro would look at a book that did nothing more than recoup expenses plus a tiny profit(meaning less than $5000) as a dismal failure after all they are not there just to keep these people employed and produce gaming material for a tiny niche they are there to make mass profits,and to get that stock price up.Which is hard enough for a luxury items company like Hasbro in a recessed market.

Which is ultimately why D&D would be far better off in the hands of a much smaller company run by gamers that are innovative are care about the product.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Yuan-Ti said:
Capitalism is great, but greed is a market irregularity. It corrupts the system and gives us our Enrons.

Only one problem: greed is the theory behind two things: Capitalism and the U.S. Constitution.

Capitalism works not only because All Babies Must Eat, but because all babies want a little better than gruel for their supper.

Self-interest and greed often get lumped together, because on the surface they act the same way. All humans will be self-interested; to a certain extent, all humans will be greedy. It is human nature that must be prepared for, and it is the equation where many economic and social theories fail.

Greed is not irregular; it is the norm, and any system that is to work must take it into account and work with it. Our economic system works, and surprisingly well. If it did not, Enron/Worldcom would be a regular sight, and not make so big a splash as it did.

Lady Dragon

First Post
Well Peter Atkinsen or White Wolf might have the money and both would be interested and both would do right by it.My fear is that another corporate giant would buy it just for the rights to the name or on a whim(say the CEO used to play)that would be the worst.

Let's just hope it all works out. Especially since I think that its not a matter of if they sell D&D but when.

Ysgarran

Henry said:

Only one problem: greed is the theory behind two things: Capitalism and the U.S. Constitution.
<SNIP>
Greed is not irregular; it is the norm, and any system that is to work must take it into account and work with it. Our economic system works, and surprisingly well. If it did not, Enron/Worldcom would be a regular sight, and not make so big a splash as it did.

There is a great deal of truth in this statement. The US government is build on a system of check and balances. It is the idea that you do not put too much power into any one branch of government because, basically, you can not put too much trust into human nature.

The real question is looking at what keeps the corporate system in check. What are the checks and balances for the WorldComs and Enrons of the world? You can make the argument that what is happening in the markets at this moment is the system of checks and balances at work.

I happen to believe that the system of checks and balances for our economic system does work for most things. The one area that I think it fails is taking into account the environmental impact of their actions. Environmental impacts are long term, choices made now may not be felt for 20 years. It is hard to justify to your stockholders (who are concerned with what happens in the next six months) that you need to pay the costs of something that will happen in the next 20 years.

I also believe that many corporate executives (NOT all but definately a certain percentage) do their best to get around the checks and balances that are built into the system.

A quote by Upton Sinclair comes to mind:
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when
his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

later,
Ysgarran.

smetzger

Explorer
I don't think it would be bad it WOTC sold D&D. I do think it would be bad it WOTC decided to do very little for pen & paper D&D and put all resources into computer games and TV shows. I think that is the danger.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Vaxalon said:
I think more gamers than one might expect on the face of it. Yes, lots of us are teenager geeks with barely enough spare cash to buy the product, but lots of us are twentysomething and thirtysomething professionals with hopes that our retirement will be comfortable.

To tell you the truth, I'm looking forward to retirement; I think our little hobby will REALLY take off when lots of us have money, maturity, AND spare time!

And don't forget us fortysomething professionals. The only thing that doesn't suck about getting older is that you have more money.

And I agree about D&D in retirement. I look forward to the idea of having enough time to play once a week instead of once a month. I envision playing in a few games and DMing at least one. Sounds like bliss to me.:)

apsuman

First Post
Argh!

I don't know where to start...

Companies are always trying to satisfy their owners. That is their function. Shareholders are owners. In business it really is that simple.

Sure there are some shareholders that are waiting for that next quarterly statement, but I would venture that most shareholders (i.e. mutual funds) are interrested in the stability and long term growth potential of thei companies.

Lady Dragon is correct in that if Hasbro is going to place it's capital at risk and only break even, or make less than $5000 then it might not be in their best interest to continue to risk that amount of capital for that (small) return.

If Hasbro thinks it is in their best interest, they will sell DnD. If they think there is more money in the long term, they will keep it.

g!

Sir Falke

First Post
Greetings!

Lady Dragon said:
Well Peter Atkinsen or White Wolf might have the money and both would be interested and both would do right by it.

If White Wolf were to own D&D, we should then expect to see a new edition/revision every two years or so...:rolleyes:

For the time being, it seems Wizards holds D&D dear and they are getting rid of "peripheral" lines, like Chainmail. Although the selling of the periodicals is not a good sign to me...

MtG is seing now its popularity dwindling, while D&D has a constant (although not-so-great) fan base. Lets keep the hope...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads