Races from Malazan Books of the Fallen

Banshee16

First Post
Has anyone seen the races from the Malazan Books of the Fallen statted out anywhere?

I've been curious what the Tiste Andii and Tiste Edur might look like.

Banshee

the Jester

Legend
Has anyone seen the races from the Malazan Books of the Fallen statted out anywhere?

I've been curious what the Tiste Andii and Tiste Edur might look like.

Banshee

In Gardens of the Moon, at least, the Andii read a lot like reflavored Drow from 1e, pre-Unearthed Arcana. (Or rather, they do to me.)

I'm not sure I have a good analogy for the Tiste Edur, but the Jaghut look like classic 1e orcs in my mental picture of them (even though they aren't much like them otherwise!).

The Toblakai/Theloman/Teblor read to me like some kind of smaller giant with the attitudes and intellect of fire giants but the general stats of stone giants.

GREAT books.

Simrion

First Post
No Stats regrettably but a great article by the man himself...and AD&D appears to have been the initial "seed" from which the stories sprang!

The World of the Malazan Empire and Role-Playing Games | Steven Erikson

I love this section

In our own gaming, we took from AD&D the most basic tenets of gaming: we created characters, assigned values to their basic attributes, physical and mental; we selected from a list of talents and skills and put ‘points’ into them to shape our character’s abilities. We invented stories and plotlines involving contests and goals, and to gauge success we rolled the damned die. This sounds basic, but it is fundamental. Where we deviated was in the details, in creating a viable world with cultures and histories that made sense to us. We then spiced it with other stuff, be it inspired by war literature, tragedies, films, and so on.

This all became the grounding of the fictional world we then created, and those who have gamed well see the basic gaming elements at work in our tales. To be specific: the Malazan Empire was founded in a tavern called Smiley’s in an island city: its core of players were a balanced party of sorcerers, fighters, assassins, thieves and priests. The events in the city of Darujhistan leading up to the night of fete were all gamed, and again we had balanced groups (Kruppe, Coll, Murillio and Rallick; Whiskeyjack, Mallet, Fiddler, Hedge, Quick Ben and Kalam; and so on). The squad finale of The Crippled God, the tenth and final novel of the series, was gamed.

So, I can rail at the clichés established by AD&D, but man, they’re in my :):):):)ing blood, like it or not. I use them. All. The. Time. And lo, it’s not a problem. In fact, I depend on them: as my readers know, in the Malazan series there’s scant else for them to connect with at first glance. And even as readers get a handle on them, I mess them up.

Remove ads