• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racial characteristics most likely to be played at your tables?

as per the message below: racial roleplaying

• Humans

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Half-elves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elves

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Half-orcs

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Gnomes

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Halflings

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Something I may have missed or is worth noting anyway

Votes: 2 4.5%

Driddle

First Post
Which of the 3rd edition core PHB races have been roleplayed by gamers at your tables most often via some stereotypical personality quirk or cultural references? This can include, but should not be limited to, dwarven gruffness, half-orc anger/thick-headedness, gnomish jokes, voice inflections or speech patterns, etc. Please include a brief note of explanation. (I'm particularly interested in how anyone portrays elves at the table, but that's not the purpose behind this poll.)

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This is hard to answer...dwarves are leading in the early running: they have a pretty straight forward schtick, and are pretty popular.

As for elves, like I said in the other thread, play them as humans, but better.

Driddle

First Post
At this point, I see that someone has marked at least once each for humans and halflings. Any details to share on how those races were portrayed?

Humans' most notable traits are that they are ambitious and will breed with anything that moves, right?

I think my gaming group in grad school had that one pretty much covered.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Brother MacLaren said:
Humans' most notable traits are that they are ambitious and will breed with anything that moves, right?
Throw in "greedy" and you've described Dragons, too.

Cheers, -- N

Oryan77

Adventurer
I've never seen a player roleplay a race before. Usually when someone says he's roleplaying in my group, he's not really roleplaying. All he's doing is playing himself and then saying he's playing in character.

For example, if the player plays D&D by hack-n-slashing and does very little roleplaying, then he always says, "this is the 'kick down the door & ask questions later' type of character". So he uses that excuse to make it seem like he's roleplaying.

So the only time a player in my group is supposedly roleplaying a race is when he's the above player and he decides to go with a race that he can get away with being mindless (dwarf, half-orc, half-giant, ect ect). Other than that, anyone who roleplays in my group is just playing a character and not really playing off of racial traits.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads