D&D 5E Racial Trait Values or, A Hodge Podge of Points

Jediking

Explorer
@Charlaquin

This is something I have picked away at over the last couple of years, and adjusted as new released came out and updated with the relevant info that WotC hides around in their UA and splatbooks.
I love to homebrew and DM, and enjoy giving my players freedom to customise their characters to their liking.

I let any player pick 6 points to build their character's race, and add in ribbons after based on what makes sense and to help flesh out their concept or background.

Below is the point values for each racial trait - I only count the PHB, EE, SCAG, and VGtM (non-monstrous) races only. In Volo's. WotC specifically says that the monstrous races are not balanced, so they are out.
I presume ALL races are balanced equally, so they all add up to the same 6 point total

*Remember that DnD is balanced around combat - this is explained in the PHB and DMG and can be seen in calculating any creature's CR.
**Giving one character every single ribbon available won't unbalance anything. Yes, objectively it makes them better than not having it, but it really isn't a big deal when you actually play.

Worth 1 point
  • ASI +1 (any, max +2 per ability)
  • Skill prof (any)
  • Cantrip (any)
  • 1st lvl spell/LR
  • Innate magic (1st lvl spell @ 3rd, 2nd lvl spell @ 5th)
  • Damage Resistance (any 1 common)
    • Damage Resistance (any 2 uncommon, only example of this is Aasimar from Volo's)
  • Medium Armour proficiency
  • Weapon Training (pick any 4)
  • Mask of the Wild + 5ft speed
  • Relentless Endurance
  • Savage Attacker
  • Nimbleness
  • Camouflage (choose 1 terrain)
  • Feline Agility
  • Hidden Step
  • Earth Walk
  • Unending Breath (no need to breathe at all)
  • Naturally Stealthy
  • Healing Hands
  • Necrotic Shroud/Radiant Soul/Radiant Consumption
Worth 2 points
  • 2nd lvl spell)/LR
  • Heavy Armour proficiency
  • Breath Weapon
  • Lucky
  • Stone’s Endurance
  • Toughness
  • Flight (30 ft) (yep. Check SCAG - Tiefling Variants)
  • Natural Armour (17) +Shell Defense
Worth 3 points
  • Feat
  • Flight (50 ft)
  • Gnome Cunning (tricky little buggers have the best trait!)
Worth -1 point. (WotC realllly hates Kobold characters. No wonder they have to Grovel, Cower, and Beg)
  • Small (25 ft)* (movespeed is the key here) Combat includes movement on a grid in the base game. Look at how the the DMG balances the Orc Aggressive trait or other movement abilities that are included in CR)
  • Sunlight Sensitivity + Superior Darkvision (these are always together, except for... Kobolds [which are a monstrous race so not included anyways])
Ribbons (worth 0, does not affect game balance)
  • Darkvision
  • Language
  • Tool Proficiency
  • Hold Breath (still affected by poison and gasses per DMG)
  • Advantage on skill checks
    • Eg: Stonecunning, Artificer’s Lore
  • Trance
  • Fey Ancestry
  • Brave
  • Speak with [any creatures]
  • Powerful Build
  • Cunning Artisan
  • Improved unarmed weapons
    • Eg: Claws, Talons, Bite
  • Hot or Cold environmental adaption

So, yeah. That's the list so far, until they release more books. Hopefully this helps you homebrew your own races or allow you to mix and match to make a cosmopolitan character.

Don't believe it works? Well first off - do the math yourself and break it down. Or try to build any broken character you can, using 6 points max. I haven't had any issues, but any holes in the math or logic are appreciated to be pointed out.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is awesome, thank you for sharing it! I’ll definitely be analyzing my homebrew races through this lens.

Iry

Hero
Sage Crab
+2 Int, +2 Wis.
AC 17 Shell.
Hold Breath, Advantage on Nature Checks.
crab_wizard_by_orangegabumon_daon87j-fullview.jpg

Remove ads