Racism in RPGs, especially related to fantastic races

Is it ok to portray a fantasy race in a negatce way? And how varied are your gaming groups?

• Yes, that's fine with me.

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • Describing a whole race as evil, stupid etc is not ok

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I've played with people of different ethnic background most of the time

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I've played with people of different ethnic background some of the time

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • I've played with people of different ethnic background only rarely

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I've played with people of predominately caucasian background

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • I've played with people of predominately non-Caucasian background

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I usually play online and so wouldn't know most of the time.

Votes: 2 2.8%

Janx

Hero
I don't see that at all. The modern "Japanese" and "barbarian" archetypes/stereotypes are kind of mutually exclusive. Sure, Klingons are about honor, but they are also about barely restrained anger, rather than personal discipline. Worf, specifically, may be like a Samurai, but not the rest of the Klingons.

Not in Hollywoodland. Picture this, what if we make the Klingons all honor focussed and stuff, like the Japanese, and get this, we twist that stereotype by making them be barbaric as well!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not in Hollywoodland. Picture this, what if we make the Klingons all honor focussed and stuff, like the Japanese, and get this, we twist that stereotype by making them be barbaric as well!

I don't buy that interpretation. There is only one who is really focused - Worf. This, in fact, is pretty constantly used as a specific contrast between him and his fellow Klingons. It sets him apart - which means the rest of the race doesn't fit the stereotype.

Derren

Hero
I don't buy that interpretation. There is only one who is really focused - Worf. This, in fact, is pretty constantly used as a specific contrast between him and his fellow Klingons. It sets him apart - which means the rest of the race doesn't fit the stereotype.

From the lore Janx is right. Klingon = Samurai.
That in the movies and TV they are displayed as barbarians and total pushovers is a different matter.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
From the lore Janx is right. Klingon = Samurai.
That in the movies and TV they are displayed as barbarians and total pushovers is a different matter.

What "lore" do you mean? Because the novels which lean this interpretation (like The Final Reflection - in which they are more like master tacticians than samurai) are non-canon, and haven't been read by many.

I don't give a hoot about lore that the general public doesn't even know about - what matters is what's on screen.

Derren

Hero
I don't give a hoot about lore that the general public doesn't even know about - what matters is what's on screen.

Even on screen Klingons are always referred to as honorable warriors and a lot of their rituals would fit with a Samurai society.
The Klingons shown on the other hand are displayed as barbarians incompetent fighters.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I either read r heard an interview abut this with someone. Was it Michael Dorn on Nerdist? I honestly can't remember, but whoever it was discussed at length the process of designing the new Klingons for TNG (and I recall the word "Samurai" being used a lot). I can't remember what they said, though, or who it was, or where I heard it, or if I heard or read it. Maybe I dreamed it.

MJS

First Post
I don't see that at all. The modern "Japanese" and "barbarian" archetypes/stereotypes are kind of mutually exclusive. Sure, Klingons are about honor, but they are also about barely restrained anger, rather than personal discipline. Worf, specifically, may be like a Samurai, but not the rest of the Klingons.

The Klingons? No. The Romulans are much closer to the Soviets. Klingons are far too open, while the Romulans have the whole secret-thing going for them.
Oh thats right, it was Rommies who were Commies. Right down to the grey uniforms. Although, I think TOS dealt more with Communism with alt human societies than with alien. But "Balance of Terror" is probably Romulans as Russia.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Really? The klingons are so japanese/barbarian rip-off they poop sushi. Bear in mind, we're talking TNG/DS9 era klingons.

It is very hard for me to compare the Klingons to the politely smiling Japanese... All they have in common in some way is a strict code of honor.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
The Romulans are much closer to the Soviets. Klingons are far too open, while the Romulans have the whole secret-thing going for them.

Wow Rommies and Soviets... my Romulan fanclub would cringe at that hehe.

Klingons are, as I have been told (not much knowledge of that era) very much like Czar-era Russians. Romulans we actually compare to historic Japanese with their own strict code of honor and seeing themselves as the superior race. I don't think anyone has compared them to Soviets. Th classic era ones got compered to Romans, because of their names and all.

Ace

Adventurer
1st off,my face to face groups have been quite diverse (White, Black, Hispanic, Mixed Race, Asian) but as we are all geeks it rarely matters. We are the people of the D20 as it were

2nd Its not necessary to make D&D a political activity or for it to be politically correct.Many gamers are quite conservative for one and second,. we do this for fun and no other reason. Make it political sucks away the fun.

3rd The past wasn't that diverse in what we call diversity anyway. Yes there were people of different ethnicities in Europe(and not as invaders) even cities were homogeneous in ways that might shock people now. It was kind of diverse at the village level but its was normal for even adventurous people to go their whole life and see only people who looked at to a degree acted like them.If its what you group wants, thats perfectly OK .If you want something more akin to modernity thats fine too.

Last As long as no one is bothered anything thats fun is OK, your group. Your rules.

Remove ads