D&D 1E Random Wilderness Encounters (Stonewater to, um... Carse) (Updated)

ilgatto

How inconvenient
¡Hola!

L’histoire se répète, as we say in my neck of the woods ever since it fell out of fashion to quote… never mind.

So I decided to substitute the gremlins in F’Chelrak’s Tomb for a crypt thing that would “teleport PCs to the end of the world”, on a roll of “00” on percentile dice just to be on the safe side – I mean, seriously?

Yup.

Now faced with the monumental task of providing the PCs with a complete – and lengthy – wilderness adventure, I decided to turn to the Wilderlands to see what’s what, for I seemed to recall that the various publications in that setting did exactly that. Incredible, what the folks at Judges Guild did back in the day – vast maps, with every hex accounted for by rolling dice on tables they probably made themselves. A true treasure of the olden days, the likes of which, as far as I know, have not been seen since (at least not on this scale and on paper).

Still some work to do though, for what about—wrings hands in gleeful anticipation—the RANDOM WILDERNESS ENCOUNTERS? The lethalest thing known to man and PC alike?

So here’s my attempt (attachment) to provide myself with a mostly complete guide to “outdoor random monster encounters in temperate and sub-tropical & tropical and near-tropical conditions” (the PCs have to travel from the Land of Beasts in the Elphand Lands back to Carse, which I accidentally brutally placed in that small bay on the coast of the Ebony Coast). Needless to say, the project involved rolling many, many (a lot of) dice on the various tables in the DMG, MM, and then some – and on some I concocted from data in said publications.

Made it, so may as well share it.

Please note that the DMORMEG-TAST&TANTC (this probably needs some work) was made in a bit of rush, wherefore, inevitably, idiosyncrasies and mistakes will have happened. Please feel free to point them out and/or otherwise provide, preferably constructive, critiques, always considering that the word “encounterable” was used on purpose and that all encounters are the result of rolling dice on tables in publications from a bygone age (and nothing else).

Enjoy, and may your dice never indicate an encounter with 49 berserkers,

ilgatto

EDIT: Replaced previous version with updated version, which has THACO's, some more monsters, and other features added. Some mistakes have been removed and new ones added.

Attachments

• DMORMEG-2.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Remove ads