• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger Familiar?

Forgember

Explorer
Is there any way to get a familiar with a Ranger besides multiclassing?
Maybe theres an archetype out there where you drop Wild Empathy and
Hunter's Bond for it? Feats, traits whatever, let me know if ya got anything.

Squire James

First Post
There's no existing archetype that does this. However...

Ultimate Combat has a Falconer archetype, which is basically a ranger that concentrates on a bird of prey. He basically trades away his Wild Empathy in exchange for a bird companion at 1st level (and druid progression for it rather than ranger progression) and the fact it has half normal HP until the ranger gains the normal Hunter's Bond ability.

I could see a variation of this to gain a familiar instead of an animal companion - the two concepts are balanced. Perhaps give up Wild Empathy in exchange for a familiar, but he'll have to wait until level 4 to get the familiar-specific ability (i.e. the thing you get for choosing a cat, frog, etc.).

Forgember

Explorer
Yeah Falconer seemed cool till I got to where you give up your 6th level bonus feat which wouldn't be a big deal except I plan on going with a heavy crossbow at that point.

I already proposed swaping out Wild Empathy and Hunter's Bond in order to gain a familiar at 4th level (would work like ranger spells as a familiar of 3 levels lower than ranger level) to my DM and he basically gave me a angry face.

Was hoping there might be some actual rules for it somewhere sense it seems like a good fit for a ranger who prefers a less combat oriented companion.

Oh well, thanks for your input though. :)

Remove ads