D&D 5E Ranger Halfling

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
So if an Ranger used a Animal Companion as a mount since there a halfling, could they verbally command it to take the help action while riding it, since they are in control of it regardless? Sorry if this sounds like rules lawyering.

ccs

41st lv DM
Sure.

Although I'm sure a ruleslawyer will be along to point out any # of reasons the answers likely "No".

RAW? Only if you use your action to command it to take the help action.

It doesn't take an action unless your command it to... You can use your action to verbally command it to take the...Help action.

It makes no difference if you are riding your companion or not.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
First, change the action to a bonus action for the Ranger. It is much more reasonable and a house-rule I've seen a lot of tables use.

As for using the help action, as @Paul Farquhar says, it won't matter if you're riding it or not.

I am trying to bend rules to get get something out of it.
Sure, you get advantage on the first attack roll or (if appropriate) advantage on your ability check. No rules lawyering involved. :)

GreenTengu

Adventurer
If your animal companion is medium size, then a small sized character should be able to use it as a mount.
But-- lets be honest, those who made D&D 5E intentionally made wolfs the only actual possible real choice as an animal companion as anythlng else would be comparatively worthless and a disadvantage.

So by all means ride your wolf companion as it was the only animal you were meant to choose.

Olrox17

Hero
If your animal companion is medium size, then a small sized character should be able to use it as a mount.
But-- lets be honest, those who made D&D 5E intentionally made wolfs the only actual possible real choice as an animal companion as anythlng else would be comparatively worthless and a disadvantage.

So by all means ride your wolf companion as it was the only animal you were meant to choose.

I remember pteranodon being an excellent choice for small sized beast masters.

The intent, as indicated by interviews, it that Beastmasters are not confined to Monster Manual beasts. They where deliberately designed weak to allow for stronger beasts to be added by the DM.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The intent, as indicated by interviews, it that Beastmasters are not confined to Monster Manual beasts. They where deliberately designed weak to allow for stronger beasts to be added by the DM.
This is such an interesting point. Hmmm...

If I create a beast, so long as it is CR 1/4, it works.

Okay...the DMG uses HP as a part of the CR calculation. If you essentially "dump" health (since it is going to naturally increase), you can come up with a very strong and interesting beast, even if it kinda already exists.

A giant hawk (still medium), for instance, can have completely different stats than a regular hawk. Give it dex saves and decent AC and damage while knocking down its health to basically 1-6HP since it will be raised anyways.

Remove ads