• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger (Hunter) is a Martial and Primal Controller

Drakhar

First Post
Also note that Scout is a Martial/Primal Striker who focuses on two weapons. Looking forward to seeing just what it is.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Hmm will only Hunter and Scout be Martial and Primal character? Or is it a sign that WotC will update PHB ranger into Martial and Primal class?

thewok

First Post
I knew we wouldn't see a complete change in power source as some had speculated, but after seeing the Essentialized Assassin, I figured they'd do a hybrid power source for the ranger.

I have a player that may enjoy using this in a campaign. She has a thing for rangers, and I'm not sure if she's really fond of the purely martial Lord of the Rings-esque Ranger we have now.

I'm anxious to see if the scout keeps the Hunter's Quarry feature or ditches for something else altogether. And I'm curious to see if Hunter's Quarry and Warlock's Curse get some sort of update to make them as consistently usable as Sneak Attack is now.

Shin Okada

Explorer
The original classes will not be changed.

Why not? PHB materials have been continually updated, even before the release of essentials line.

Fighter and Rogue utility powers were convertible with pre-essential utility powers. If so, the new book may contain new Ranger utility powers with Primal keyword. I am interested in if non-essential rangers can take them.

Updating the original class, in this case, is quite easy. Change PHB Ranger's "Power Source" into "Martial and Primal".

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Because the powers would not support the Primal designation. And they are probably not going to go back and retro-fit all the old classes. They already said that folks can play core and essential PCs side by side...

My two coppers,

Tony Vargas

Legend
As one of those who had long been dissapointed by the lack of a Martial Controller, well, I'm still dissapointed. Tacking primal onto it spoils it as a Martial Controller in my book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads