• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rapid Shot/Many shot, SA, and weapon enhancement

PrinceZane

First Post
Alrighty...

Another night, another conversation, another session of brainstorming, thus meaning another list of questions from me to you (yes, I know, I'm sweet, I shouldn't have... just take it because I'm a nice guy and not NE irl :p)...

1.) I believe I remember reading this once before but I can't find the thread I read it in. I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying you "can't" but: Can many shot and rapid shot be used together? I don't have my books with me atm, but I'm wanting to say one is standard, and one is full round. If someone could back me up maybe?

2.) According to RAW (reguarding a rogue and sneak attack) "If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Basically, the rogue's attack deals extra damage any time her taget would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target"... does this mean that if a rogue is granted multiple attacks due to a high enough BAB (6/1 for example) and were flanking, would it be granted a sneak attack on both hits?

3.) When dealing with weapon enhancements, can you upgrade from (element) to (element burst) *such as Shock to Shocking Burst*? If so, how do you determine the difference in cost? (Currently have a +1 shocking adamantite rapier, looking to go to a s-burst due I'm about to take the Imp Crit (rapier) next chance I get making a 15-20 crit I believe...)

4.) Also, what is the best way to get around undead/golem-constructs as a halfling rogue? I've a wand of grave strike for undead so I think I got that covered, but not sure what to do about golems... stupid ugle bast'iches...

5.) And something about Power Attack coming soon maybe... Our fighter is doing some crazy massive damage with power attack + greatsword, and according to everything I see it's "legal" but something is scratching my brain that it seems kinda nuts, when I get his stats and such I'll post.

glass

(he, him)
PrinceZane said:
1.) I believe I remember reading this once before but I can't find the thread I read it in. I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying you "can't" but: Can many shot and rapid shot be used together? I don't have my books with me atm, but I'm wanting to say one is standard, and one is full round. If someone could back me up maybe?

Correct. Manyshot requires a manyshot action, which as you say is a standard action. Rapid Shot requires a Full Attack action, which as you say is a full round action.

does this mean that if a rogue is granted multiple attacks due to a high enough BAB (6/1 for example) and were flanking, would it be granted a sneak attack on both hits.

Yes. Sneak attack works on every attack that qualifies.

3.) When dealing with weapon enhancements, can you upgrade from (element) to (element burst) *such as Shock to Shocking Burst*? If so, how do you determine the difference in cost?

Yes. Price the weapon with shocking. Price it again with shocking burst. Pay the difference.

(Currently have a +1 shocking adamantite rapier, looking to go to a s-burst due I'm about to take the Imp Crit (rapier) next chance I get making a 15-20 crit I believe...)

Yes.

4.) Also, what is the best way to get around undead/golem-constructs as a halfling rogue? I've a wand of grave strike for undead so I think I got that covered, but not sure what to do about golems... stupid ugle bast'iches...

Well, you already have an adamantine rapier -that'll help againt some kinds of golems. Not sure what else you can do, really.

5.) And something about Power Attack coming soon maybe... Our fighter is doing some crazy massive damage with power attack + greatsword, and according to everything I see it's "legal" but something is scratching my brain that it seems kinda nuts, when I get his stats and such I'll post.

Fighters with greatswords do lots of damage. It's there job! :D

glass.

glass

(he, him)
glass said:
Yes. Price the weapon with shocking. Price it again with shocking burst. Pay the difference.

PrinceZane said:
(Currently have a +1 shocking adamantite rapier, looking to go to a s-burst due I'm about to take the Imp Crit (rapier) next chance I get making a 15-20 crit I believe...)

In this case (assuming no other enhancements you haven't mentioned):

+1 shocking (+2 equiv) costs 2 * 2 * 2000 = 8000 gp

+1 shocking bust (+3 equiv) costs 3 * 3 * 2000 = 18000 gp

you pay 18000 - 8000 = 10000 gp.

glass.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
It's probably worth mentioning that the burst enhancements are really weak, and if you are looking for power you could find better things to spend your 10000 gp on.

OTOH, I like burst enhancements because I tend to roll all of my 20s when fighting undead and contructs... :heh:

glass.

PrinceZane

First Post
Woo, I'm getting better at this "pretend like you know what your doing" thing...

Just a curiosity question: which do you think is better, getting keen on a weapon, or using the Imp. Crit feat? Currently a lvl 13 pure rogue...

And why does a lvl 14 rogue not get any bonuses :(

And P.S. Glass - For some.... weird.... reason... I really like your name. It's random, but... neat. :)

PrinceZane

First Post
Well, I'm really not set in stone about the burst, I had actually thought of gettin cold/fire added instead of the other burst. Not really sure what I want to do. I can post my char if you want...

Len

Prodigal Member
PrinceZane said:
Golembane scarab, 2500 gp.

glass

(he, him)
PrinceZane said:
Just a curiosity question: which do you think is better, getting keen on a weapon, or using the Imp. Crit feat? Currently a lvl 13 pure rogue...

Well, getting keen on your existing rapier will cost you 10000 gp, just like adding the burst. Getting keen and the burst will cost you 24000, which is a lot of cash. OTOH, getting imp crit will cost you a feat slot, and rogues don't have many of those.

Honestly for pure rogue, I wouldn't take either. You'll be most effective when you are sneak attacking, and when you are getting a crit won't make all that much difference to your total damage (assuming mean rolls & 16 Str):

no crit: rapier 1d6+1 (3.5) + Str 2 (2) + shocking 1d6 (3.5) + SA 7d6 (24.5) = 34.5

crit: rapier 2d6+2 (7) + Str 4 (4) + shocking 1d6 (3.5) + SA 7d6 (24.5) = 39

If my assumptions are correct, you only get an extra 4.5 points of damage on a crit. You probably have a couple of other bonusses in their, but it still unlikely to be significant next to the sneak attack damage.

I'd say you're probably better spending your resources on making yourself more likely to hit (so when you do get your opportunity to SA, you make sure you hit), or making yourself more durable.

And P.S. Glass - For some.... weird.... reason... I really like your name. It's random, but... neat. :)

Thanks! I like it too. It's a (tenuous) reference three or four different things related to me.

glass.

Infiniti2000

First Post
glass said:
Honestly for pure rogue, I wouldn't take either. You'll be most effective when you are sneak attacking, and when you are getting a crit won't make all that much difference to your total damage (assuming mean rolls & 16 Str):
I agree with this. Don't worry about improved critical, keen, or burst weapons as a rogue unless you desire them for flavor. They are not really good min/max options. A simple +1 enhancement would be better, or perhaps a golem bane enhancement if you fight a lot of them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads