Rappan Athuk: Ravage of The Unusual Heroes!

Ziona

First Post
Drowning Your Sorrows

A giant, creepy graveyard.
Eerie silence.
Masterson Family headstones.
Deafening silence.
Entrance leading underground.

A Dung Monster.
Interesting, yet yucky smell.
Wererats.
Smelly crypts and fungus.
Ogres!?
“Beware the Purple Worms! Spiegel The Arch Mage.”
Rumbles.
Tremors.
Purple Worms and sharp teeth.
Screaming. Loud screaming.
Pain and terror.
Blood…lots of blood.

A funeral for a friend.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So, that’s my friend Dent over there,” said the Lox sadly. “I think he blames himself.”

“Blames himself for what?” asked the plain looking man with windswept hair.

“Have you not been listening to the poor halfling’s story,” said the half-elf with grey skin. “It is heart wrenching.”

“Ah, the stories you come up with, Roundy,” the masked man chuckled.

“Hey, can I talk to your dragon some more? He was very interesting,” said Lox halfheartedly.

“Perhaps a bit later,” said the half-elf. “Tell me more about your friend and his grief.”

“Well, like I said, Dent is a ranger and we got these wishes, and Dent wished for revenge, but Lord Korvish gave him a map instead. You know, I thought a wish meant that you just POOF! got a wish, but it doesn’t always mean that. For instance, I wished that I would be part of the most famous adventuring party ever, but they didn’t POOF! and make it happen. They said I had to work for it. Some wish…”

“You were saying about your friend Dent,” smiled the woman patiently.

“Oh, yeah! So we followed the map, like I said, to Rappan Athuk…it was real scary and Dent got really upset because he found his Mom and Dad’s graves. And next to their headstone was a headstone for Dent and the hole was already dug and everything! Dent was so angry…” Lox took a deep breath and frowned. “Then we entered the big creepy Rappan Athuk and everything was so bad. It smelled and it was dark, and normally that’s not so bad…but…but when we came to…to the Purple Worms…I…”

Lox took out a handkerchief and wiped his eyes.

“It was awful! He’s gone…poor ol’ Nuttin was swallowed up...then we thought we could help him…but…” his voice trailed off. “Do you think he’s with his wife now, Miss Ziona?”

Ziona Half-Drow smiled and gently took Lox’s hand.

“I’m sure of it, Lox. But right now you should take care of your friend, Dent. Go see to him and make sure he is well.”

“Okay, but can I see your dragon again after that?”

“If Rossal is awake you may see him again,” she smiled.

Lox tottered off towards the other side of the bar where Dent sat surrounded by empty mugs. Venus sat with him, trying to get him to eat something, but Dent refused. He sat like a sullen boy, eyes red from the drink and tears.

Ziona watched as the halfling sat with his friends, then she turned to Drexel Doomhand and Doc Midnight. Her psudodragon Rossal slept in her backpack, curled up on some small gems.

“Drexel, what do you think of the halfling’s story?”

“I think that they were foolish to enter Rappan Athuk. If the legends are true, it is a very formidable dungeon.”

“Ah, old Roundy is just pulling your chain,” said Doc with a sparkling smile. “He tells the best tales.”

Ziona looked at Drexel with confusion about ‘Roundy,’ but Drexel just shrugged.

“If we mean to go into Rappan Athuk,” began Drexel, “perhaps we should try to contact Varr.”

“He will not return so soon,” said Ziona, her gaze distant. “His axe would prove most helpful, but you know his task within Icewind Dale is his top priority.”

“Indeed,” said Drexel, scanning the room. “What are your thoughts?”

“Well, it seems that they have suffered a great loss,” began Ziona, “and I can’t imagine the ranger entering a dungeon in his current state.”

“Yes,” agreed Doc. “Ale is not an adventurer’s ally. It makes you sloppy. That’s why I drink milk!”

“But you think we should enter Rappan Athuk,” said Drexel, knowing the answer.

“There is a great deal of danger involved, but a greater good will come of it’s destruction,” said Ziona.

“I must agree,” said Drexel. “We should ready ourselves and set off tomorrow.”

“To Rappan Athuk!” said Doc, somewhat loudly, as he slammed his empty mug of milk down.

This caught the attention of the tavern, who cheered for heroics of the well known adventurers. This also caught Dent’s attention, who got up from his spot from behind the empty mugs and staggered towards the group.

“Did you say Rappan Athuk?”

“Indeed, good fellow,” said Doc cheerfully.

At that moment, Lox and Venus approached the group as well.

“This is Dent Masterson and Venus Xzyx, and you know I’m Lox Lumley,” he said excitedly.

“Greetings,” said Venus, eyeing Ziona.

“Well met,” she said. “I am Ziona Half-Drow, Priestess of Eilistraee. This is Drexel and Doc Midnight.”

“Oooh, and your dragon,” said Lox with a smile.

“You’re awful quick to admit you’re a drow,” said Dent bluntly.

“I am a half-drow, Dent Masterson, just as you are a half-elf. Would you be ashamed to speak of your heritage?”

Dent’s face burned red. “I meant no offense, it’s just…”

“I understand,” she said.

“We knew another drow not so long ago,” began Lox.

“Not now Lox,” said Venus. “We heard you proclaim you are headed to Rappan Athuk.”

“That we are, my friends,” said Doc, “That we are.”

“We have seen the horrors within,” said Dent. “Are you sure you’re prepared to face them?”

“Your halfling friend has told us of your plight, and we are sorry to hear about your loss,” said Ziona comfortingly.

“We will accompany you,” said Venus triumphantly.

“That will not be necessary,” said Drexel. “We would not want to put such pressures on you after such a tragedy.”

“You don’t fully understand,” said Dent. “But you will…”

With that, Dent began to pass out. Venus was quick to catch him before he fell, and Doc helped get him to his room. Ziona, Drexel and Lox were right behind them. Once they had Dent in his cot, Ziona cast Neutralize Poison on him, which relieved him of his drunkenness.

“Eilistraee watch over your sleep,” she prayed.

“We shall see you at sunrise, then?” asked Venus.

Ziona looked to Drexel and Doc.

“Very well,” said Drexel. “I just hope your friend is in better shape at dawn.”

“Miss Ziona, can I talk to Rossal now?”

“Get some rest, Lox,” she said sweetly. “There will be plenty of time for talk on the way to Rappan Athuk.”

The Adventure Continues…

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
The only thing better than reading Ziona's Lox Lumley dialogue is being there when Doug plays him. Excellent, Ziona! No one could write Lox like you do... sniffle... great great great.

Doc's back in da hiz-ouse.

madriel

First Post
Ziona, your writing just gets better and better.

Do you need a tissue, Doc?

I must admit I thought the Doctor would drink something with a little more playa-flava than milk. Unless it's a new ploy to mack on Ziona. Trying to temper his bad boy vibe with a little take him home to momma wholesomeness?;)

Breakstone

First Post
Say, Ziona, all in one sitting I read the whole "Unusual Heroes Reborn" story hour, and now I'm onto this!

Great writing!

I love the characters, too. That drow was awesome, and Lox is fun, although he sort of reminds me of a rather curious wizard... (cough, Jamison, cough)

Anyway, nice going Ziona on the writing, and nice going Xaltar on the DM'ing!

Dartan

First Post
I love it........I must say Ziona the writing keeps getting better and better top notch.....now you must write more....

Xaltar

First Post
It's so much fun to relive the past, it inspires me to make the future of the heroes even more exciting!

There are a lot more interesting turn of events to come...

Ziona

First Post
Thank you very much! I appreciate all of you taking the time to read the story.

As for Doc's milk drinking, that was a direct quote from his character. Every now and then someone will say something so crazy, that everyone at the table will just stop for a second and laugh for a mintue or two. That was one of those times. Then I make sure to jot down the quote and everyone forgets that it was said until it reappears here. (Usually the crazy phrases come from Lox...)

I'm looking forward to writing about Rappan Athuk. Alot of crazy and sad things have happened so far, so the next update will be on the way soon! Thanks again! :D

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Glass.GIF

Hammerhead

Explorer
LOL, this story just keeps getting better, with the banners, the introduction of Dr. Midnight and Drexel (my two favorite characters from Unusual Heroes)

Still, Rappan Athuk will kill a great many, I fear.

Remove ads