Rate Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God (DVD Release Status: In Flux)

So how was it? Be honest!

• 1. Wretched. That was worse than the first one!

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 2. Very Bad. Oh man, the pain! (Burn the DVDs.)

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • 3. Bad. I think I'm going to be ill.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 4. Not good. About what I had expected.

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • 5. Average. Hey, that didn't suck, too much.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • 6. Okay. Hey, that didn't suck.

Votes: 53 24.1%
  • 7. Good. I'm surprised it wass that good.

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • 8. Very Good. I'll definitely watch that again.

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • 9. Excellent. Oh man, the joy! (I want the DVD.)

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • 10. Supreme. That should have been on the big screen!

Votes: 2 0.9%

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Rel said:
It probably won't ever happen, but I think that the ideal medium for filmed D&D entertainment would be a weekly, 1-hour TV series that follows a starting party of 1st level characters as they rise through the levels to attain greater power, wealth and importance. It would (hopefully) solve a major weakness in the films, which is that I feel no connection or empathy for the characters. It could be liberally sprinkled with D&Disms and they could also make a companion "Adventure Path" of books to release to let DM's and players try their hand at some of the adventures the characters on the show partake in.

That attempt was tried on several fronts, a irish/scottish based hero...during the times of the Druids. Which lasted two seasons. And there another one, which lasted four or six showings. Theme was a Aurthur-like time. Name for both escape me for the moment.

Fast Learner

First Post
The first one you speak of is Roar, I believe. The fact that it has succeeded sometimes and failed others certainly doesn't rule it out as a possibility, imo.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Truth Seeker said:
That attempt was tried on several fronts, a irish/scottish based hero...during the times of the Druids. Which lasted two seasons. And there another one, which lasted four or six showings. Theme was a Aurthur-like time. Name for both escape me for the moment.

I'm not talking about just some fantasy series. I'm talking about something distinctly D&D with all its tropes. The regular, weekly session is how campaigns tend to be run and so I think it would transfer well to television in terms of capturing the feel of D&D. Whether that distinct feel would attract enough of an audience to keep itself afloat, I don't know. But there isn't another weekly serial fantasy show on TV right now is there?

Surprisingly not bad. I am not ashamed of the game being associated with this movie, unlike with the first one.

One thing I like is that they kept the "Basil Exposition" moments to a minimum. For our little audience (2 neophyte gamers, 2 veterans, and 1 non-gamer), there were surprises and revelations in the action, but it all hung together. I like it that, as in Star Wars, they didn't explain the technology, they just did it, as with the repeated use of the "Gust of Wind" spell, and the Gem of True Seeing only being named the second time it was used.

So what level were these guys? I'd say about 8th.

maggot

First Post
LeaderDesslok said:
Worst thing about the movie: it's a 90 minute film Sci-Fi turned into 2.5 hours! I actually timed it at one point; there were 9 minutes of movie followed by 7 minutes of commercials, followed by 10 minutes of movie and another 7 minutes of commercials. Despicable.

The worst thing is I recorded the whole thing while I was at work and watched it late into the night, and dang if the tape didn't cut out at the two-hour point. (I desperately need TiVo.) Luckily I got to fastforward through the commersials, and there is a replay Thursday so I can catch the end.

I would say it is a solid 4 or maybe even 5 (I'll decide when I see the end). Nothing to tell your friends about, but not a complete waste of time.

maggot

First Post
I think a D&D TV series could be very cool. I wouldn't want an entirely episodic show like Hercules, but you could follow the characters through their adventures and have the series build to a spectacular conclusion: Think B5, DS9, or the new BSG done in a fantasy style.

The writers might have to play with the time line to make it believable in a story context. None of this gain twenty-levels in two year stuff. Wait, I guess they would have to do that, because otherwise it wouldn't be D&D.

So at what character level would D&D cease to be understandable as fantasy to the general public? (I figure once everyone teleports and flies, it would seem more like superheroes than fantasy.)

griff_goodbeard

First Post
I gave it an '8', it was imensly better than the first film (that seems to be a pretty much unanimous opinion ;) ) It did feel a bit rushed at times, but I think that comes from trying to fit a whole adventure into a 90 minute movie. The geek in me loved the Greyhawk references. I'm not sure what the budget was, but I'm guessing quite a bit less than the first moive had. I think if it would've had a larger budget it would have been visually a lot better. The only thing that kind of bugged me was that the black dragon was breathing fire. I was looking forward to see an acidic breath weapon. I though the white dragon was very cool. I'll definatly be buying the DVD when it's released.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Menexenus said:
It was definitely better than the first movie.

Watching paint dry was better then the first movie. I was presently surprised, but it still wasn't good.

Menexenus said:
And I agree with those who have said that the ideal mass-media forum for D&D would be a weekly TV series where you can follow the exploits of an adventuring party and really begin to care about them (ala Firefly).

Agreed. I still think its pretty funny that the old cartoon series was better then these movies. Oh well, hopefully it does well enough so that they can make a sequel. They're bound to release a good one sooner or later...

Remove ads