D&D 5E [RAVENLOFT] [5e] Death House OOC

industrygothica

Adventurer
Aaaaaand I just realized that our loot log was eaten in the Great Crash of 2016. If you know what your PC has, please post it there. I'll skim through the adventure to see if I can remember what was found where, but it won't be any time just real soon. Seems like someone might have had a potion somewhere... that could be handy under the current circumstances. But I honestly don't recall at the moment.

-IG

Yavathol

Explorer
GM: Take a long rest, and gain all the benefits of such. No short rest, and nobody gets the benefit of Song of Rest since it is a second level bard ability and you're all still first level for the time being.

The caveat: A character regains all lost hit points at the end of a long rest (PHB 186). A condition of Wergil's failed save is that his hit point maximum returns to normal after the creature finishes a long rest (MM 279: Life Drain. In my interpretation, it is the spirit of the rules that suggest Wergil would be fully healed at the end of his long rest (to his adjusted maximum of 8hp), and after all is said and done his hp maximum would return to the normal 15, thus leaving him down by 7 hit points. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I may be misunderstanding this, and will be happy to hash it out in the OOC if anyone feels it necessary.

As the player affected, I can see where you are coming from; "after the creature finishes a long rest" does imply it is a two step process. I'm sure a challenge could be constructed around the argument that there is just a single step: end long rest -> everything resets.

But (hopefully) this situation isn't going to happen that often(! fingers crossed!) so I'm happy to go with this ruling, though I would note that it incentivizes the players to take repeated breaks, or at least use more of their resources which results in a shorter adventuring day...which may help the atmosphere we are trying to create in this adventure. (I.e. if I was GM, I might rule differently in a different campaign setting)

industrygothica

Adventurer
I think that keeping the PC's scarce on resources is exactly the point of this adventure, or any adventure set in a Gothic Horror atmosphere. I don't remember what monsters are coming up, but certainly there aren't more than seven or eight specters left on this floor!

-IG

The caveat: A character regains all lost hit points at the end of a long rest (PHB 186). A condition of Wergil's failed save is that his hit point maximum returns to normal after the creature finishes a long rest (MM 279: Life Drain. In my interpretation, it is the spirit of the rules that suggest Wergil would be fully healed at the end of his long rest (to his adjusted maximum of 8hp), and after all is said and done his hp maximum would return to the normal 15, thus leaving him down by 7 hit points. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I may be misunderstanding this, and will be happy to hash it out in the OOC if anyone feels it necessary.
I'm at work and away from my MM, but the difference in interpretation boils down to the word "after" in the MM Life Drain description. It's ambiguous. Reading it, my gut instinct is that the Wergil should be at 15/15 at the end of the long rest (he would not, however, be back at 15/15 were the long rest to be interrupted). The word "after" leaves the door open to your (reasonable, IMO) interpretation, IG. The decision how to adjudicate the ambiguity then distills to the tenor and tone of the adventure. How short on resources does the module intend the party to be? How short on resources does the DM intend the party to be? If we're supposed to be short on resources, I think this strengthens your interpretation. If resource management is not a critical feature of the adventure, then it cuts the opposite way.

Either way, I'm totally ok with your decision, and support you wholeheartedly. I'm sure at some point Girri will suffer a hardship that I'll groan about but will merrily eat in the name of fun.

certainly there aren't more than seven or eight specters left on this floor!
:uhoh: Eeep.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I realize that me being MIA for a couple of days will not come as a surprise to anyone, but it seems like poor form not to notify you that I'll be gone from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening. We've got a weekend camping trip with the Cub Scouts. It's been raining tonight, and there's supposed to be more tomorrow, so these little guys may get more than they bargained for this time. :)

-IG

Jesus, you're brave. I detest camping. I want to like it because it seems like all the cool kid hipsters have beards and like to camp. Since I don't have a beard, I can get away with not camping. My family refers to the cot I haul out and sleep on as mom's "four poster bed." (note: I do not have a four poster bed)

Hope you have a marvelous time! I know the boys will enjoy you, and you them. Good times. Stay dry.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I wasn't going to say anything, but since it's been a while, and since the crash has destroyed all records, I feel it necessary to remind you that someone searched an office drawer on the second floor and found an old iron key that didn't seem to fit anything in that area.

Remove ads