Ravenloft-Beyond the Mists

Rune

Once A Fool
Re: Re: Yay!

SolidSnake said:

Thanks for the support Rune!:) Even if you don't read it too close, it is always nice to read a good word from you every so often. I am trying to accelerate the game, but I don't think we will even get close to the Merge before graduation...there is simply too much to do.

I understand. I'm not even halfway to the point I'd hope I'd be at this time in my OA/Dream game (in the sig). I figured out that I just shouldn't try to rush it. You'd better not try to, either. It'll show (and we really just want to prolong it, anyway!).

BTW, I really like your Cthulu story hour...very fun to read.

Thanks! It was fun to play! I frightened myself with my masochism, though!

SolidSnake

First Post
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Session 11- An Unexpected Ally (or “Everyone close your ey-”)

The party recoiled, caught off guard as the chimera’s dragon head spewed frost on everyone, chilling them to their bones. Merk nearly collapsed from the initial blast, but the others ignored the great pain to engage the monster.

Sentian strode into the battle with his gleaming sword poised and his shield raised to ward off the snapping heads. Boosted by many of Lathander’s spells, Sentian’s armor was nearly impenetrable and his attacks were greatly enhanced. With huge chops of his blade, he cut deep into the chimera’s chest and pushed it back. Merk’s cast a spell to no avail while Lathander cast Prayer to aid the party, dropping the silence spell. Elias moved to the creature’s flank and shot in deep into its side. Bandar positioned himself and used Stomp, almost shaking the creature off its feet. Cornered, the terrible beast struck back at the towering warrior before it, all three heads and two claws trying to maul Sentian. The brave paladin deftly blocked most of the blows and let his armor guard him from the rest.

Realizing her spells were not of much use against such a foe, Merk drew her healing wand and used it on Lathander, who had been hit by frost and shared Sentian’s pain from the battle through his Shield Other spell. Sentian went furiously on the offensive, crushing the goat head, severing the lion head and carving the chimera from all angles with sweeps of his powerful sword. The monster howled in agony, on the brink of death from only a few seconds of fighting. Bandar’s Stomp knocked the beast off its feet, where Sentian cleaved it in two [Sentian had a +18/+13 to hit and +12/+12 to damage! Priest spells rock.].

The paladin emerged from the fray covered in gore, having almost single-handedly slain the powerful foe. The rest of the party looked at him in awe – truly, his prowess with the sword was even greater than when they had first fought alongside him! While Merk used her wand to heal herself, Bandar and Elias spread out, watching for new foes. They saw a bridge crossing over a pool of water beyond the chimera’s lair, and wondered where it led.

Just then a door down the hallway from which the group had come burst open, and their large goblinoid opponent reappeared, the one that had let the chimera loose on the Band the last time they had ventured into this area. It called over its shoulder to someone. Thanks to Sentian and Lathander’s spells, the chimera proved an easy target, but the fight was far from over. Knowing the goblin’s weakness, Lathander surrounded himself with a Magic Circle Against Evil and called the party to him.

While the group fired on the goblin, Sentian strode in front of Lathander to cut the creature down. It looked with concern down the hall from which the party had entered, but the party did not know why. Bandar moved up and started to scramble the goblin’s molecules with psionic power, catching it by surprise. Lathander stepped forward and healed himself for the coming fight, preventing the goblin from approaching any of the group because of the Magic Circle. It growled in frustration, a growl which turned to a cry of agony as Sentian charged forward and tore into it with his biting sword, sending it reeling.

The Band seemed on the verge of another quick victory thanks to Sentian when suddenly a new foe came charging in, larger than anything they had faced before. Barreling through wooden doors and stone walls with little effort, a brutish-looking giant charged into the fray, it’s head scraping the fifteen foot ceiling! It wore hides over its greenish skin and carried three huge clubs. The enormous Athatch stopped in front of Sentian, unconcerned with Lathander’s magical barrier. Sentian blocked its powerful club swing, but the blow made his arm burn with exertion. He gulped as he faced off with the hulking foe.

Given a reprieve, the large goblin stepped aside and nursed its wounds while the Athatch occupied the whole hallway. The party desperately went to work in fighting the newest and most dangerous monster, relying on Sentian to hold the brute back. Elias rolled a Ball of Fire around the giant’s legs while Merk crept forward and healed Lathander with her wand, knowing he would need the strength since he was sharing Sentian’s pain through Shield Other. Bandar continued agitating the goblin’s body with his mental power, causing its chest to smoke and boil. It screamed and ran down the hallway to escape the dwarf’s power. Lathander meanwhile focused Pelor’s holy energy on the towering Athatch and roasted it painfully while Sentian cut into it with his blade.

The Athatch struck back hard, pounding both Sentian and Lathander with its clubs, which was especially painful for Lathander. Elias continued rolling his magical fire and shot the creature with an arrow as Merk moved forward and healed Lathander from behind with her helpful wand. Moving into the fray, Bandar tried to knock the monster off its feet with Stomp but instead he knocked both Lathander and Sentian prone while the huge beast remained standing! Lathander scrambled to stand and moved to Sentian, readying a spell to heal the wounded warrior. With that fresh energy, the paladin stood and cut deeply into the dangerous monster, causing it to howl in pain.

Sentian skillfully blocked all the Athatch’s clubs with a flurry of parries, but he fell victim to the beast’s unexpected painful bite. His magically enhanced muscles sagged, causing him to realize that the terrible bite was accompanied by potent poison. Sentian began to slump, but Lathander boosted him with a powerful healing spell. Elias’s ball of flame petered out while he wracked the monster with magic missiles. Merk moved forward still further to heal Lathander, well into the distracted Athatch’s reach, using her final charge (which rendered the wand useless). Bandar pounded the creature with a psionic Concussion that added to Sentian’s pair of telling sword blows to its gut.

The party was in desperate straits, but they took heart that the Athatch seemed to be greatly weakened by their combined attacks. It roared and used its last strength to land blows on both Sentian and Lathander as it bit Sentian again, though he resisted the dangerous poison this time. Elias pulled back his eleven bow as fury burned in him – he knew that the creature must be killed immediately lest it slay some of his brave companions. He let fly his best arrow, and the shot was straight and true, puncturing the Athatch’s thick forehead and killing it instantly. The towering beast collapsed with an earth-shaking crash, and the entire group breathed a sigh of relief.

Lathander caught his breath, then remembered their remaining, wounded goblinoid foe. With the Magic Circle still functioning, he called the others to him and told them to keep their eyes peeled for the last enemy. Merk spotted the wounded creature floating in the hallway beyond with its claws ready and informed the group. It seemed to be waiting for the Band, but it was glancing nervously in both directions, as if it feared some other opponent. As the party gave chase as best they could while remaining in Lathander’s circle, the goblinoid dropped to the ground and ran off. As it rounded the bend, it seemed to bump into someone or something and reacted by biting it viciously. It paused long enough that Bandar came in range to start burning it again with his psionic agitation, which spurred the goblinoid to bypass whatever it had found and ran off yelling something in a foreign tongue.

In close pursuit of their quarry, Lathander and Sentian reached the corner and found a slim, dark-skinned elf in front of them, his crossbow pointed toward the ceiling as he gestured his non-hostile intentions. Sentian rushed on to the next doorway, effectively blocking the goblin’s reentry and also the drow’s escape. As the dark elf locked Lathander’s gaze and spoke in Common:

Drow: “I wrote you the note telling you what you would find in these tunnels. I mean you no harm.”

As Lathander considered this, the other three adventurers caught up and were surprised to find the drow. Elias hissed some elven curses while Bandar had to hold Merk back from killing the dark elf outright. The drow realized the full extent of his peril and spoke clearly and directly with Lathander:

Drow: “I am no agent of the Temple. I seek to destroy it. I’ve helped you before and plan to help you again. We fight the same foe. We should work together – let me join you. Don’t let their hatred cloud your judgement.”

Elias: (through clenched teeth) “I am using all my energy just to hold back. Get out of sight before I kill you!”

Elias and Merk grew more impatient with restraining themselves while the drow pleaded his case, and they warned the others not to listen to his lies. Lathander gave the drow as fair a hearing as possible while Sentian glanced out toward the owlbear cavern, looking for any sign of the goblinoid. Lathander and the dark elf agreed to meet in a day’s time at the front entrance of the Temple to discuss the matter further, much to the displeasure of the two surface elves. The Band and the drow parted ways to go and recover from the tense and draining battle.

Upon returning to the party’s rest area, they broke out in a tense debate:

Merk: “Lathander, what are you thinking? You’re going to go talk to a drow?! He’s clearly some Temple agent – if he’s helping us, it’s only some inter-Temple rivalry, like the Water Temple aiding you against the Earth Temple. He is full of lies!”

Lathander: “I had considered that Merkaeytl, and I have a way that will help. My spell Zone of Truth can discern his lies.”

Elias: “Drow are well-known to talk around such spells. They cannot be trusted.”

Lathander: “Well, to use his aid in giving us information like before would be wrong. We can plan out questions where he must answer yes or no.”

Bandar: “I agree, he’s either with us or against us. We can’t use his help if he can’t join the group, and if he’s not with the group he can’t be trusted – he’d be with the Temple.”

Merk: (smugly) “As long as we don’t say that this test will be our sole consideration for letting this drow join the group, I’m game. I assure you, he will fail to answer the questions we ask!”

By the following morning the group was rested and had healed to recover from the last fight. Lathander had to use much of his granted power just to return Sentian’s strength to him after the Athatch’s poisonous bite. The Band went to the front entrance area and found the drow waiting. Surprisingly, he was willing for the group to cut off his paths of escape and allowed Lathander to cast his Zone of Truth.

Lathander: “My name is Lathander, and I will be asking you questions. Answer truthfully, for I will be able to tell if you lie. First, what is your name?”

Drow: “My name is Rizzen.”

Lathander: “Do you worship Lloth or Tharizdun?”

Rizza: “No.”

Lath: “Are you affiliated with the Earth, Fire, Air, or Water Temples?

Rizza: “No.”

Lath: “Are you alone?”

Rizza: “Yes. My companions were killed on their way here from the Underdark.”

Lath: “Why have you come?”

Rizza: “The priestesses of Lloth sent me here as punishment for something that was not my fault. They told me to find and kill two priestesses of Lloth who defected to Tharizdun.”

Lath: “What did you do?”

Rizza: “I can’t tell you that, or you will be in great danger.”

Merk: (scornfully) “Tell us everything! You expect to earn our trust if you don’t tell us something so important and basic?” (to the others) “I told you he wouldn’t be straightforward!”

Rizzen: (coldly) “I am not dodging the question. That knowledge is a danger to you. You risk a fate worse than death if I told you what had happened.”

Merk: (angrily) “We risk our lives daily against powerful foes. What is worse than that?”

Rizzen: “You could be turned into a drider or they could torture you and heal you up to torture you more for eternity. There are fates worse than death.”

Merk just scowled back, but held her tongue. Returning to his list of questions, Lathander asked:

Lath: “Would you ever help us for the sake of helping us, if it weren’t in your interest?”

Rizza: “What do you mean?”

Lath: “If one of us is in peril and you can help, but you put yourself at risk in helping, would you do so? Each member of the Band puts his or her life on the line for the others without hesitation. Would you do the same?”

Rizzen: (uneasily) “I am unaccustomed to your ways, since I am not a surface-dweller. I am used to two groups together for mutual assistance. But if something goes wrong, neither party expects the other to stay to help.”

Merk: “Ha! He can’t see beyond his interest, he’d leave us in a heartbeat to save his skin. He can’t be one of the Band.”

Rizzen: “And you?!? Could you be trusted to treat me as your fellow, and save me from danger?” he snapped.

Bandar: (calmly) “She does not need to prove herself. The issue is whether you should join the group, and the fact that Merk and Elias would have a hard time treating you as a companion does not help you. It is more reason that you should not join us.”

Rizzen: “I will say this: I hate the drow. I hate them and what they stand for.”

Elias: “You hate yourself?”

Lath: “It comes down to this: if we cannot trust you, you cannot be one of us. We put our lives on the line for each other without hesitation, and it is dangerous to have someone else with us who does not act in that manner.”

Rizzen: “How can you start this amazing level of trust? Is there some sort of trial period?”

Bandar: “We cannot have a half-member or trial member. You’re either with us or not. We can’t test to see if you’ll lay your life down for us, because by the time we know it might be too late. You’ve answered the questions well, but you cannot join.”

Rizzen: “I’ve heard your claims to total sacrifice and I don’t believe you. Such a thing is not possible.”

Lath: “This interview is over. Best of luck to you.”

The Band let Rizzen go, and he headed off to the south end of the Main entrance, towards the unexplored mining tracks. The group returned to the area where they had fought the chimera, where the hallways were strewn with charred, bloodied, and burnt bodies from two massive battles on the same spot. There was no sign of the goblinoid, but all the other beasts were accounted for. They found a series of empty living quarters for their vanquished enemies, including barracks, a dining hall, food storage, and kennels for the dogs. The party took the valuables they found. Bandar got the duergar warrior’s magical full plate armor. It was black as night and covered with dwarven runes, but missing the right arm that the chimera had apparently chewed off the dead body. Sentian took the duergar’s bracers and strapped on the dwarf’s magical axe to sell or give to someone who could use it.

The Band discovered a map of the local rooms and tunnels, most of which they had already explored. The map did note that there was a hag in the direction the party had left unexplored, because they thought it was the Water Temple and had given their word not to enter there. The only place they had not gone in the immediate area was a room off of the dining area. Merk picked the lock to the door, having practiced the skill in her free time now that she had her lockpicks back. The door opened, revealing an antechamber and another door beyond. She stepped forward and unknowingly triggered a pressure plate, which peppered her with arrows. Lathander rushed to her aid and healed the elf, who then cautiously picked the lock to the last door.

The area beyond was evidently the personal chambers of the duergar fighter they had slain. Lathander and Merk took one look at all the books on his shelves discussing Tharizdun and the Temple history, and they both chortled in joy. What a treasure trove of information! Just flipping through one tome, Lathander found that the Elder Elemental Eye was just another name for Tharizdun. The book also claimed that Tharizdun had apparently ruled the Temple behind the scenes in its previous of power, although Iuz asserted that the Temple was his.

While the rest of the party found gems and potions, Lathander read a note addressed to “Masters” and signed “Omarthias,” which was apparently the duergar’s name. The short letter complained of the encroachments of the Earth Temple on one side and the Water Temple on the other, in addition to the recent arrival of dangerous Raagen (the dire apes). The author wanted to send a force to destroy the Raagen, but could not spare the troops without endangering the Northern Bridge Complex to the Outer Fane. This valuable message confirmed the party’s guess that they had found the Water Temple beyond the Earth Temple, in the area where the map indicated a hag. It also indicated that this area that the group had just cleared out was an important bridge guarded by servants of Tharizdun as opposed to followers of one element or another. It protected the important central area of the Temple, called the Outer Fane.

Lathander suggested that the Band cross the bridge into the Fane to catch those within off guard and to get to the heart of the Temple quicker. Bandar disagreed, saying the group should return to the front entrance they had cleared and explore to the opposite (Southern) side, which he assumed was the Fire Temple. Bandar wanted to avoid Temple agents from the South blocking the Band’s escape out the main entrance – without exploring in that direction, the group had no idea what could happen while their backs were turned. Lathander approved of the plan because if the other side was the Fire Temple, they could fulfill their obligation to the creature that had freed them from captivity in the Earth Temple. It had told them to destroy the Earth Temple, stop at the Water Temple, and await instructions at the Fire Temple. They had done the first two, and now could complete the last part of the orders. The group agreed to retrace their steps and venture south of the main entrance. Before they left, they destroyed the bodies of the largest monsters they had encountered in the northern bridge complex so they couldn’t be raised as the howler had been. It was gruesome but necessary work.

After returning through the Earth Temple to get to the main entrance, the group headed in the unexplored Southern direction, soon finding a flawless statue of a gnoll. They moved beyond that curiosity and soon found another, similar statue that had been toppled over and broken. They could see movement in the cavern beyond, right at the edge of the torchlight, but they had no idea what lurked beyond. Sentian called out a challenge, and in response a lizard-like creature charged into view. Lathander realized the group’s blunder and tried to call out, but the basilik’s eyes turned the brave priest to stone. The rest of the Band closed their eyes immediately, cursing their stupidity at not guessing how such perfect gnoll statues had been created. Merk, Bandar, and Elias were of little help with their eyes closed as they fumbled forward to engage the monster in battle. Sentian took it head-on – he was a formidable foe even without his sight. With little help from the rest, the paladin dispatched the foul creature.

The situation harkened back to Strider being turned to stone by the cockatrices in the Moathouse, an event that seemed like ages ago. Sadly and shame-facedly, the group gathered up their treasure as Sentian hauled Lathander’s statue back to Rastor with great care. Merk led them to the house of Tymerian, the wizardess in Rastor. Burne had introduced Merk to Tymerian through a letter of introduction, and the wizardess proved a helpful resource. Tymerian quickly surmised the situation and agreed to contact Burne for help in returning Lathander to flesh. While the wizardess relayed the message, Merk had to find a priest capable of casting such a spell. Tymerian introduced Merk to Thandane Deeperdark, a female dwarven warrior of few words. Thandane learned of the problem and took the group to meet the local cleric of Moradin, Rerrid Hammersong. Hammersong heard Merk out and agreed to cast the spell on the scroll when it arrived.

The party waited two days for the scroll from Burne to arrive. In the meantime, Elias used Tymerian’s lab for a simple fee to identify some of the items the Band had collected. Once the scroll arrived, Hammersong came and cast it, returning Lathander to health. Very grateful, Lathander insisted that the dwarven cleric take the duergar’s magical axe. Hammersong accepted, and asked the group to do him a favor. There was a Temple of Moradin in the mines before they fell to the evil forces, and some dwarven artifacts were lost with the dark conquest. Hammersong asked the group to return those artifacts when they found them, to which Lathander quickly agreed.

From what Hammersong and Tymerian told the group about their knowledge of the Temple, the party could surmise much. Merk put everything they had learned and that she had guessed together: The complex was a rough circle around a dormant volcano. To the East and West were entrances to the outside world. To the North and South were bridges to the Fane in the center of the volcano. Each of these four locations was guarded by the servants of Tharizdun himself, since their protection could not be left to the squabbling followers of each element. The four elemental temples each held a quarter of the temple’s outer ring, with Earth having been in the North-West, Water the North-East, Fire the South-West, and by default Air in the South-East. The Band had therefore conquered more than a quarter of the outer ring, having destroyed the Earth Temple as well as the West Entrance and the Northern Bridge areas. Merk assumed that the Temple would be symmetrical in construction to guess all of this from what little the party had seen thus far.

Tymerian warned the Band against trying to bypass the outer ring by going over the top of the volcano – she had done as much with a group of companions, and most of them had died. Lathander asked her to watch over the party through scrying. Tymerian agreed, asking for a keepsake for each person to allow the spell to function.

The Band of the Rising Sun prepared to reenter the dreaded Temple of All Consumption to confront what dangers awaited them.

SolidSnake

First Post
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Session 12- Homecoming (or “THAT’S NOT A COCKROACH!!!!”)

The Main Gate, a portal that had stood open ever since the great battle with Strider, now stood closed. The Band had expected many things, but not such a sudden fortification by the enemy. Creeping up to the door, Merk noticed movement behind most of the arrow slits and heard noise beyond the doors. After informing the party of her discovery, Lathander offered to shape an entrance through the stone itself with divine power. Everyone agreed; however, that Lathander’s plan would be far too dangerous with each of the arrow slits manned by experienced archers. Many plans were put forth, including another variant on Lathander’s wherein he would drill a hole through the mountainside with his divine power directly into the Mines…but of all these plans Sentian’s produced the most commotion.

Sentian: “Why don’t we just go see if the door is actually locked?”

Stunned, the rest of the Band agreed that this would be the best course of action provided that it was quick and bloodless. Lathander quickly cast Silence upon Sentian and Sanctuary on himself to prevent the archers from harming him. The plan worked nearly as expected; the only surprising feature was that Sentian’s armor did not protect him from the incredible accuracy of the archers’ hail of arrows…the door was indeed locked.

The party retreated to a safer distance in order to come up with a better plan. Elias listened patiently to all the solutions, but decided on his own that action was the only real solution. Using ancient arcane secrets, the elf summoned his globe of fire and had it collide with the great doors again and again until it ignited in flame. With options quickly fading from their repertoire, the Band had no choice but to back up its most junior member’s decision. Bandar waited until the fire died down before pummeling it with powerful waves of psychic force. It wasn’t long before the doors were blasted from their hinges, exposing the familiar entrance to the Crater Ridge Mines.

The men guarding the entrance had not stood idly by while the fire raged, instead they had overturned a wagon near the entrance and stacked as many supplies as they had around its edges in order to create a makeshift barricade. The enemy did attempt to make a valiant effort to resist the righteous forces of good, but in the end it was utterly futile. Lathander opened the battle with a ray of Searing Light and things just seemed to fall into place from there. In a matter of a few minutes the enemy force had been reduced to three prisoners. Not one to be without mercy, Lathander attempted to warn the men what would happen if they were seen here again. The soldiers turned out to be mercenaries who were new to the organization…apparently times had become hard with many of the great Kingdoms waging war on Iuz’s dark Empire; men took the jobs they could. This gave the priest of Pelor much to think about as Merk grilled them about the “cargo” they were transporting into the temple. It was mostly food and replacement clothing, but the men did confide that they had turned over a corpse to a strangely robed a day from the Mines. After turning the prisoners loose, the Band went to rest up in the cave where they had defeated the Basilisk [DM Note: evidently they are beginning to think that staying in the same place every night may not be such a good idea…go figure:)].

The next morning the party made its way down the tunnel they had begun to explore before Lathander was unceremoniously turned to stone. The tunnel had many branches that led to empty caves and even a few connecting passageways, which coupled it to a parallel tunnel containing similar tracks for supporting an ore cart. To make sure that all of the possibilities had been explored, the Band made every effort to check all of the branches so that they would not face enemies from the front and the rear should they ever begin a battle in these tunnels. On one such exploration, the group did not take the necessary precautions to ensure safety before heading down a passageway. This particular corridor was one of the few connections between the parallel tunnels and unfortunately housed a malicious life form. Bandar and Lathander only had time to look up as green slime sloughed off the ceiling and covered the pair of adventurers. Both men screamed in agony as the slime began to eat away at metal and flesh while they rolled about on the ground. Bandar had the right idea by scraping the substance off with his gauntlets, but it wasn’t coming off fast enough so Elias had to step in once again. Conjuring his burning globe of fire, Elias watched as the orb rolled over his companions numerous times to purge them of the ooze that was digesting their flesh [DM note: this was hilarious…I guess you had to have been there]. Needless to say after this confrontation much had been consumed by the slime: shields, backpacks, a spear, a crossbow, banded mail, some vials of holy water, Redithador’s note, and most importantly: pride. The bedraggled Band returned to Rastor once again to heal up and re-equip themselves with whatever was available in the village.

Once again, the Band of the Rising Sun entered the Temple of All Consumption to test their mettle against the forces of evil. This time; however, the Band chose an alternate tunnel to test their bravery. The path they chose didn’t seem any safer than the last one when armor-plated magma worms burrowed out of the floor directly beneath them in their explorations. Armor of any kind seemed to little avail against these fiery foes, but the Band soon left their burning blood to pool on the ground as they continued onward. The tunnel continued downward for quite sometime before it opened up into an enormous cavern. An overturned cart lay next to the tracks that traveled through the cave and a smaller cave was attached to the larger cavern a few paces from the tunnel. Directly above, the party noticed (through a rather large hole) that the parallel tunnel they had traveled before crossed over the one they were currently using. Spreading out the group began exploring the cavern…this didn’t last very long as everyone was abruptly jerked away from their respective examinations when a large scream erupted from the smaller cave. The party conglomerated quickly as a screaming Ettin emerged from the darkness wielding two impressively large clubs. Bandar had barely enough time to bring his shield up as the behemoth brought the club down on his shoulder, emitting a sickening crunching sound. Merk reacted quickly to the situation by planting an arrow in the ettin’s belly, while Sentian attempted to shove his enchanted sword into the giant’s leg. Sentian’s attacks were effortlessly blocked by one of the monster’s clubs, while it continued to pummel the retreating Bandar. Merk and Elias paid the ettin back in kind by peppering it with another volley of arrows. The battle became a bit more complicated with the emergence of a large cockroach. None of the party paid it any attention, as they were more concerned with the ettin…this proved to be a fatal mistake. With both Lathander and Bandar supporting him, Sentian began to find his rhythm in battle and severely wound the ettin. Before long, Sentian was predicting every swing the ettin could conceive of and counter it with swift sword strokes. The paladin barely noticed the insect’s feelers as they lay themselves upon his armor. The paladin watched in horror as the armor his family had handed down for generations dissolved into a pile of rust right before his eyes! Sentian remembered his father telling him how Heironeous himself had blessed the armor and that it was an invaluable heirloom only given to the greatest of champions the Thann family had to offer. The armor had not only absorbed the impact from many foes, but also served as a mantle of courage Sentian had always carried…he felt helpless without its comfort. In blind rage, Sentian lashed out at the creature that had robbed him of his heritage with Ice, the weapon taken from Strider’s fallen body. With a scream of anguish, Sentian saw the blade crumble before him as the metal touched the foul monster’s carapace. The ettin took advantage of his this distraction to inflict more pain upon the paladin and with his armor gone it was an easy task. It took all of Lathander’s healing powers to keep the great warrior aloft as the giant beat down upon him with a savage fury. Bandar attempted to reverse the tide of defeat by sending blasts of sonic power into both adversaries. This coupled with Elias’ most powerfully destructive spells were enough to send the Rust Monster back to the hell that had spawned it. The ettin succumbed shortly thereafter to Sentian’s mirage of steel and hatred.

With their most powerful warrior without any fitting protection, the Band was forced to return to Rastor to think of ways of overcoming their obstacles.

Elias: “Well, what now?”

Lathander: “We must travel to Greyhawk. There we can restock our lost equipment and maybe find something that will help us against in this struggle.”

Bandar: “That is foolish. We cannot leave this place for such a long time.”

Lathander: “What can they possibly do?”

Bandar: “Plenty and we would have no idea until it was too late. We have the initiative here, let’s not lose it.”

Lathander: “Sentian will not last out there without proper armor.”

Sentian: “I fear Lathander is right…I will be no use to you in our battles if I am dead.”

While the Band argued as to what they would do, Merk talked to Tymerian and asked her if Burne had been in contact with her. The great wizard had told Tymerian to inform the party that he had left for the kingdom of Furyondy as well as the fact that Aramek was on his way to Rastor. With this new information, the party agreed to let Sentian travel to Greyhawk to obtain new armor while the rest of the members waited for Aramek.

It wasn’t long before the familiar dwarf entered the village. With a warm welcome, the Band embraced their oldest member and dearest friend.

Aramek: “Sorry I’m late…had to pay me respects.”

Lathander: “It’s good to see you Aramek. What did you do with Dr. Noh’s body?”

Aramek: “I gave it to Yether like ye said…and I gave him the letter ya gave me. You priests of Pelor sure have strange burial rites…never known a priest ta stab the earth with a spear.”

Lathander: “What are you talking about?”

Aramek: “I found a spear with a note attached to it stabbed in Strider’s grave. I didn’t think it was proper for no Moradin-loving man, so I took it out.”

Merk: “We didn’t do that!”

After a slight uproar, it was determined that the spear belonged to the strange man known as Tresh who had disappeared after the initial encounter with the Band. The note was also his…

It was good traveling with you for a time. I am beginning to understand where Strider’s strength came from. Be careful because the Brotherhood is looking for your friend Eblis…I tried to delay them. Good luck.
-Tresh

This produced even more confusion as the man had never met Strider before and no one knew what he was referring to with the word “Brotherhood.” This seemed to make little difference to Aramek as he informed the group that he was going to systematically destroy everything in that Mine. Lathander spoke up against this idea, citing Pelor’s scripture in reference to “mercy” and “compassion.” This didn’t sway the dwarf from his policy of “give no quarter;” he even threatened to go in alone if he had to.

Bandar: “You won’t survive alone. We need you just as much as you need us.”

Aramek: “A dwarf’s gotta do what a dwarf’s gotta do. If you don’t like my me methods then find yerself another dwarf.”

Lathander: “Is this what Strider would want…your death? You know it is suicide out there by yourself.”

Aramek: “Maybe…maybe not…who knows until ye try.”

Bandar: “Don’t do it. We need you.”

Aramek (with a slight grin on his face): “Alright lad, I’ll tell you what. You get Merk not to go in with us and I’ll play nice.” That one is for you old friend.

Bandar: “Fine with me.”

Lathander: “Thank Pelor you’re here!”

Elias: “Whatever.”

Of course Merk wasn’t too happy with these arrangements. The Band tried to comfort her with “important” jobs she could be doing in town to gain valuable information, but the perceptive elf saw right through the ruse. It took all the persuasion skills Lathander could muster to convince her that this was “for her own good” and that it was “what Strider would have wanted.” Her replies, when not in curses, alluded to the fact that “she was her own woman and not some dead man’s property.” However, at the end of the day Merk finally agreed to stay in Rastor on the condition that if she found out that the party died, she would go into the Mines by herself and finish the job. No one had any problem with that, as they would all be dead at the time.

Aramek (with Merk out of earshot): “Let’s go pick up another man…it’s suicide to go in there with just the four of us.”

Lathander and Elias had to restrain Bandar from throttling the headstrong dwarf. It seemed as if the dwarf’s trip to Hommlet hadn’t changed him one bit: he was still brash, lewd, and knew exactly what to say to piss everyone off…

SolidSnake

First Post
Goodbye...for now:)

Well it looks like my group didn't make it after all!:) The end of college has finally caught up with us and now my gaming group must go its seperate ways. I must admit that I am rather sad as we have spent such a long time on this campaign and we aren't going to even get close to finishing it. The university is also shutting down my personal website, so that will be gone shortly as well. In any event, I just wanted to thank everyone who read the campaign and provided me with support. This board has been so helpful in providing me with an outlet for my thoughts. Thanks again and I hope to revive this thread once again;)

A special thanks goes out to Rune, whose constant posting fueled my passion for writing.

Rune

Once A Fool
Re: Goodbye...for now:)

SolidSnake said:

A special thanks goes out to Rune, whose constant posting fueled my passion for writing.

Why, thank you! But surely this doesn't mean you won't get back to the campaign!?! Ever?

We'll miss you (and your story, of course!)! :(

SolidSnake

First Post
Re: Re: Goodbye...for now:)

Rune said:

Why, thank you! But surely this doesn't mean you won't get back to the campaign!?! Ever?

We'll miss you (and your story, of course!)! :(

Well I'm not sure about "Ever," but it doesn't look too good. But don't fret, I have two-three more sessions to write up before I check out;)

SolidSnake

First Post
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Session 13- “The dead friend will not really die until tomorrow, when silence is round you again. Then he will show himself complete, as he was--to tear himself away, as he was, from the substantial you. Only then will you cry out because of him who is leaving and whom you cannot detain. “ -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (or “And another one bites the dust…”)

The search for an additional member to the party was more difficult than the Band had anticipated. Most of the local men had no wish to travel into the "cursed mines." Everyone was about to give up when a halfling melded away from a roving crowd of human loggers. With audacity uncommon for a man of that stature, the halfling walked straight up to the Band and introduced himself.

Halfling (addressing Elias): “My name is Stacy and I would be interested in joining your party.”

Aramek (between bouts of laughter): “Your name is Stacy??!”

Bandar (ignoring Aramek): “How do you know of us?”

Stacy: “Your fame has spread through the village like wildfire…the daring group of adventurers that continuously risks its life to quell the evil in the mines.”

Bandar: “Are you sure you want to join? It is no easy task and many of our members are dead already.”

Stacy: “I understand and accept this responsibility.”

Bandar: “What skills do you have that could be useful to us?”

The halfling seemed to ponder the words for a moment before his face contorted in a mask of distress at something approaching the group from behind. Needless to say everyone turned instinctively only to find that there was no danger at all. When their gazes came back to the halfling, he was gone!

Bandar: “He's in.”

With its newfound strength, the Band entered the Crater Ridge Mines once again. Their travels took them past the cavern where they had fought the rust monster and its ettin master, into an even greater cave containing a dwarven device used to scoop rock onto a raised track. A quick inspection revealed that someone had recently used the ancient track. The inquisitive party decided to continue onward past the great machine, but was stopped cold by a booming voice that spoke from the darkness ahead in Common.

“STOP!”

Elias was the only member of the Band who had a gift with languages and so it was he who recognized the accent inherent in the voice's pronunciation.

Elias (in draconic): “Who are you?”

Dragon (in common): “An educated man…impressive. However, your education has not prepared you for a battle with me. I suggest that you not jump to conclusions about your current predicament and proceed to attack me.”

Elias: “What would you have of us then?”

Dragon: “A simple sign of respect for gracing my lands would be sufficient to allow your passage to remain unmolested.”

Not wanting to do battle with another dragon, the Band quickly relieved themselves of a few choice gems. This seemed to appease the dragon and allow the party some respite against violence.

Elias: “I am curious as to what kind of dragon you are.”

Dragon (with a chuckle): “You mean what breed don’t you? Well I’m sure that I could teach you a thing or two about Dragon Lore, but I must say that I am a…costly tutor.”

Bandar: “Which elemental temple rules now?”

Dragon: “The fire temple of course.”

Everyone agreed that traveling towards the dragon was a mistake, so they took a tunnel that traveled in the opposite direction. The roughly hewn stone began to show growth as the party continued onward until the Band found themselves in a veritable underground fungal forest. Some mushrooms were as tall as a man; the Band gave those a wide berth as they traveled forward. The tunnel began to descend rapidly, until the party came across a narrow staircase. At the base of the stairs was the maggot-ridden body of a decapitated umber hulk. No one in the party had ever had any experience with the creature, but everyone was sure from Aramek’s stories that it was a monster not to be trifled with. The group huddled closer and pressed on cautiously, some of the members having second thoughts about continuing. These doubts proved to be well founded as the party rounded the bend of a rather narrow tunnel and found themselves in another cavern. The cavern was fairly sparse, save a huge pit in its center filled with bones and feces…but this wasn’t what attracted everyone’s attention. The sight of two giant scaly humanoids with razor-sharp claws and daggers for teeth was enough to cause the Band to forget their own names.

The trolls charged screaming into the party’s ranks. Aramek barely had time to raise his shield in defense as one of the troll’s claws ripped through his dragonscales, tearing bone and flesh indiscriminately. The sturdy dwarf retaliated by introducing his warhammer to the troll’s face, smashing its jaw into thousands of pieces. Elias attempted to burn the troll’s companion with a rolling ball of flame, but the creature proved to be too quick for his spell. Bandar’s powers shook the earth and knocked one of the trolls to the ground, buying time for the rest of the party to gain position. Arrows from Elias and a Color Spray from Stacy wore away at the troll’s resolve. Just when victory seemed eminent, the battle was joined by another troll wearing armor decorated in the religious symbols of Tharizdun. This creature carried a massive double-bladed sword that stretched nearly twenty feet in length! The confrontation became more desperate as the Band adjusted their strategy for this new enemy. Both sides spilled much blood, but the trolls seemed to have the advantage as their flesh instantly restored itself after every blow. Daggers and arrows protruded from all the trolls, but somehow it didn’t seem to faze them. Attempts by Bandar to scramble the troll’s molecules did show results, but it was not enough to destroy the creature. Eventually the Band was able to win the encounter by the sheer physical trauma they inflicted upon the enemy, but at the cost of a mortally wounded priest of Pelor. While some of the members cut the trolls into pieces, others doused the remains in oil and set them aflame. The armored troll; however, did not burn like the rest so the solution was to sever the head and chop the body into a fine paste. Bandar called a retreat knowing the situation the party was in: Bandar and Stacy had expended most of their powers, Aramek was exhausted after his berserker rage, and Lathander was unconscious. The plan was to allow Stacy to scout ahead, while Elias and Bandar covered Aramek as he transported Lathander.

Stacy knew that he was all but invisible and silent as he ascended the stairs past the dead umber hulk body, but it didn’t seem to matter. As he moved away from the top of the stairs, the wall behind him exploded in a shower of rock. The halfling reacted quickly by flowing with the force of the impact and rolling beyond the reach of the umber hulk that had now made its presence known. Yelling a warning to the other members of the party, Stacy ran, attempting to draw the umber hulk away from the party. The plan did not work as the umber hulk was interested in weakened prey. The colossal creature shambled forth, its mandibles clicking menacingly.

Elias reacted quickly, calling for both Bandar and Aramek to run past it while he would keep it busy. Aramek understood the gravity of the situation and did not argue with Elias on this point; tossing Tresh’s spear to Bandar, he heaved Lathander’s body over his shoulder and ran towards the stairs. Bandar followed him, but more slowly as he became fascinated with the lights that had begun to illuminate the haft of the spear. What is this? When both men reached the stairs; however, they simply stopped dead in their tracks. Neither dwarf seemed to care that a battle raged between Elias and the umber hulk.

Stacy came back to the party only to find Elias in single combat with the umber hulk and the dwarves essentially paralyzed in a stupor by the stairs. The halfling watched the elf dance about the umber hulk’s claws and land blow after blow in the creases of the monster’s carapace. Blood was streaming down the man’s arm and leg, but he didn’t seem to notice as he moved graceful from one stance to the next. Frustrated by the skill its prey showed, the umber hulk lashed out more furiously at Elias. The elf nimbly dodged both claws, but had not anticipated the speed of its mandibles. Stacy watched in horror as he saw the pincers rip through his new companion. Elias dropped his weapons in shock and attempted to free himself of the creature’s grasp, but it was too late…a massive claw ended the elf’s agony by tearing out his throat.

Stacy: “NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”

The umber hulk had just enough time to turn so that it could see the dagger imbed itself into its compound eye. Stacy wasn’t sure if it was his scream that awoke Aramek from his stupor, but frankly he didn’t care. It was one of the greatest sights he had ever witnessed when the dwarf dropped Lathander’s body to the ground and swung his warhammer into the unprepared umber hulk’s back. He could hear the crunch of its armor even from where he stood. That pleasure was short-lived; with a casual swipe, the umber hulk dropped the great dwarven warrior to the earth. The monster grabbed Bandar’s still motionless form and proceeded to walk towards Stacy; it paid him no mind whatsoever, even as the halfling peppered the umber hulk with his remaining daggers. The umber hulk was about to enter its layer when the halfling managed to strike the creature in a particular sensitive area at the base of the head. The umber hulk dropped Bandar and rounded on the terrified halfling. A single swipe from its claw was enough tear into Stacy’s torso and fling him nearly ten feet into the air, but the halfling just laughed as his body rebounded from the ground. In its anger, the umber hulk had made a tactical miscalculation: it had presumed that there was only one enemy remaining, when there were actually two. Coming to this realization to late, the umber hulk only shuddered as Bandar’s new spear impaled it through the chest.

Both wounded men took some time to check on everyone’s status before hauling the bodies back to a secluded cave. Neither Stacy nor Bandar slept that night to ensure that nothing got the drop on them. Bandar wasn’t sure if he was hallucinating from sleep deprivation, but during the night he thought he saw Stacy weeping. Whatever the facts, Bandar was not about to inform anyone of this, so he simply waited until Lathander awoke before he passed out from exhaustion. By the time the dwarf opened his eyes, the rest of the party (saved Elias) was restored. No one talked as they marched Elias’ body back to the grove where they had buried Strider. Only one person had dared to interrupt their procession through Rastor, a strong-looking bald human man with strange tattoos covering his body. The man had asked to speak with the party, but Lathander informed him that they would be indisposed for the rest of the day and asked him to meet them tomorrow morning. The strange man obviously did posses some form of tact as he bowed his head with understanding and left the Band to bury its fallen comrade. Although Lathander was the only ordained priest in the party, Merk vehemently asked to give Elias the last rights herself in an elven tradition. Aramek relieved Elias of Shatterspike and his signet ring and sword were given to Merk to give to the Elven Nation of Celene along with his ashes. The Band had lost another valued member, but no one had lost the will to continue…in fact, Elias’ heroic death only hardened their resolve against Cult of Thazidun.

SolidSnake

First Post
Back in business!

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Session 14, Part 1- Enter the Dragon (or “I came here to kick a** and chew bubblegum…and I’m all out of gum.”

Once the party had paid its respects to their friend Elias, they rested and prepared to return to the Temple. Merkaeytl updated the group on the happenings in Rastor, her job ever since the rest of the party insisted she stay at the rear (her fury over the decision had now abated). She kept an eye on the town with a small group of kids as her informants, and spent much of her time studying the books the party had captured from the Temple. Her most important news was about the strange man covered in tattoos.

A few days before Merk had been relaxing in Rastor’s dirty tavern, her ears perked for news, when news walked in. The stranger was bald with a well-chiseled frame and a very intense gaze. Most strikingly, he prominently displayed bright tattoos all over his upper body. Everyone in the tavern ceased what they were doing to stare at the newcomer – there had been plenty of strange events as of late, but this guy was a new category in himself. Nobody had ever seen anyone like him before. Merk slipped out of her chair and headed to the tattooed warrior, but she needn’t have bothered - he moved towards her immediately. As soon as the rugged men around them turned back to their previous conversations, shaking their heads, the stranger abruptly addressed Merkaeytl after pulling out an ancient scroll with seven distinct symbols on it:

“Do you know anyone who has a tattoo like one of these symbols?”

This guy is even weirder than I thought, Merk thought, as she responded “Do you always start conversations this way?” She noticed that one of the seven runes on the scroll was a red hand, like the tattoo she’d seen upon occasion on the nape of Bandar’s neck.

Merk got the man to sit down while he proceeded to tell her a totally new and interesting story that surprised her a great deal, though she tried not to show it. Her acquaintance was anything but subtle and spilled his whole tale in the course of a few minutes without hesitation.

His name was Gholoth, and he was a psion. He sought the Azure Emperor, the ruler of the psionists in the golden age of psionics long ago. He wanted to find others with the symbols he wore, who represented the Wards of the seven Broken Houses. According to prophecy they would be able to help him find the Azure Emperor so they could restore their great empire.

The tale would have seemed pure fantasy to her, but it was too outrageous to be false. Gholoth seemed very strong in his views and convinced of the critical importance of his mission in the world. Also, Merk had seen Bandar’s tattoo and knew that it perfectly matched one of Gholoth’s seven tattoos, so there must be something to this story.

Merk suggested that Gholoth keep his mission under wraps a bit more – after all, he had told her everything of importance without knowing anything about her. It was news to her that a psionic emperor ruled these lands long ago, and there are probably few left who would know anything about it. Even so, few people would want a golden age of psionics to return. There’s bound to be opposition, so maybe Gholoth should watch what he says? The monk replied that he isn’t on a secret mission and he isn’t worried about enemies.

Merk failed to interest Gholoth in the quest to destroy the Temple of All Consumption, though she explained how vile it is and how serious a threat it poses. The single-minded psion was not interested in a side quest that might distract him. To keep his interest, Merk mentioned that she knows someone with a tattoo like the ones Gholoth has. The monk insisted that he meet and talk to this Ward. According to Gholoth, if the ward knew of the importance of finding the Azure Emperor, he would agree to help. Merk wouldn’t say any more until she talked to her friends, and the strange conversation ended there.

After Merk recounted this meeting with Gholoth to the rest of the Band following their final rites for Elias, they spotted Gholoth again. The headstrong monk approached and explained his quest to everyone, exactly as he had to Merk. Bandar immediately recognized the tattoo of the red hand that matched his tattoo, but he kept the mark hidden by his clothing and armor. He wondered to himself if he were the “House Ward” for House of Faerst and if so, what did that mean? Was this man one of the ‘Brotherhood’ that Tresh had warned them about in his note? It did not seem wise to tell Gholoth about his tattoo until they knew much more about him.

Lathander told Gholoth that they have seen all seven symbols that Gholoth seeks before, on their friend Eblis’ sword. Hearing that news, Gholoth’s eye went wide. He exclaimed that the blade was the Sword of Ages, given as a gift to the Azure Emperor and wielded by his descendents. He must find this man! Merk sensed a way to recruit Gholoth without telling him about Bandar’s mark and having Gholoth try and pull him away from the group. She said that Temple agents captured Eblis long ago and the only way to find him is to go into the mines and free him. This could be true, but in reality the group had no idea where Eblis was, but they could use a new companion, so nobody objected to Merk’s fabrication. Gholoth was ready and willing to go into the Temple to recover Eblis, so he joined the group.

Merk winked to the others as they set out for the Temple. Then she turned solemnly to Elias’ body, and took it away from town to do the elven rites before cremating it. She kept Elias’ house ring, sword, and his ashes, and sent off a letter with a merchant heading toward the elves. The letter explained Elias’ valiant sacrifice and let the elves know to come pick up his belongings. Merkaeytl thought back to all the companions they had lost, especially Strider, and her eyes welled up with tears.

Meanwhile, Lathander introduced Gholoth to the Band’s rule: each member was part of the team and was willing to give up his life for the others. Gholoth would have to prove his willingness to follow this rule – he would soon be tested. Lathander cast Bull’s Strength on Aramek and Gholoth in preparation for whatever they might face.

Bandar mused about what they had learned of the Temple after their last incursion. Before Merk had concluded that the Temple was a large loop with each of the four Elements ruling a quarter. In between each of the Elements were areas ruled by the Tharizdun cult overall – entrances on the east and west, and bridges to the center of the volcano at the north and south. Now they had found the South Western part mostly abandoned, and the dragon had told them that the Fire Temple was in the center of the volcano. So the Band had cleared the Western Entrance, the Earth Temple, the Northern Bridge Complex, and most of the dragon’s sector. The armored troll they had faced was probably from the Southern Bridge Complex, if their concept of the Temple was correct. Clearly, the water creature that had saved the party from the Earth Temple had expected them to destroy the Earth Temple and the Northern Bridge Complex and then prepare to go into the center. Instead, the Band had decided to clear the outer loop before going to the center. They could go through the Southern Bridge Complex, the Wind Temple, and the Eastern Entrance before encountering the Water Temple at the other side and deciding what to do next.

The group worked their way back through the tunnels of the Mines, checking the areas they had cleared before going any further. They went around the dragon’s lair and checked a side room they hadn’t explored the last time through. Inside they found strange hard animal droppings and a foul stench assaulted their nostrils. As they looked around, a sudden shower of acid from above surprised them. Gritting their teeth against the pain, the group looked up saw that there was a hidden ledge above them, occupied by a bizarre two-legged human-sized lizard with an acid-spouting snout. The group backed up, attacking the monster with whatever ranged weapons they had. Gholoth presented some new and helpful talent by using his mental powers to heal himself as he leapt back. The monk took note of Bandar’s mental blast of energy that pummeled the creature. The strange monster responded by jumping on Lathander and mauling him with its large claws. With great skill, Stacy came out of the shadows and tore into the beast with his dagger, then melted away again. Gholoth closed into melee with the beast using powerful kicks and punches, and kept it at bay. Aramek had earlier shaken his head that someone would go into the Temple without weapons or armor, but Gholoth was quickly proving why he had no need for either.

Now that the monster was amongst them, the party struck at it with their usual fervor. While Aramek and Lathander battered it with their weapons, Bandar fried the creature’s skin with psionic energy and Gholoth landed bone-breaking punches and kicks. Stacy would suddenly appear at an unexpected place and jab at the monster, then fall back and out of view. The monster managed another painful shower of acid, this time on just Lathander and Aramek. While they sputtered with pain, Gholoth did a series of powerful kicks that snapped the lizard’s neck in three different directions so it was utterly dead before it even hit the floor.

Bandar, in his usual understated way, simply said “I guess you don’t have to use weapons.” Gholoth pointed out that Bandar hadn’t used weapons either, and hadn’t said that he uses psionics. Bandar admitted that he uses psionics, but left it at that.

After ascertaining that the rest of the room was clear, the party healed and proceeded further. They passed through the cavern filled with mushrooms and explored a side cavern that they had bypassed on their last visit. There they found curious glowing fungi obviating the need for a lantern in the room. After a bit of searching they happily discovered a stash of gold and silver which they left so as not to burden them.

Beyond the Band found another large, fungi-filled cavern, this one littered with bones. In the lead of the group, Aramek and Gholoth discovered a deep pit the hard way. They were battered but alive. While the others readied ropes to drop down, Bandar noticed that a mound of mushrooms was moving toward the group, but nobody else could see it. By the time they could see the danger, it was too late – they glimpsed the creature’s eyes and lost control. Lathander sat down and began praying with his small shrine. Bandar felt as though he was wandering on a carefree night, and enjoyed the stars. Despair overcame Stacy, and he sobbed on his own. Aramek and Gholoth, busy climbing out of the deep pit, were disturbed by the sudden lack of communication with their companions above. Bandar thought that there was an “Orc” disturbing his peaceful nighttime walk, and attacked back, injuring the “Orc” with his spear.

Gholoth came out of the pit and saw what was going on. Thankfully, he resisted the fungi-covered Umber Hulk’s magical gaze, which had sent the others crazy. Aramek reached the top and resisted the magic as well, but the Umber Hulk ripped the dwarf with its claws before he could get to his feet. Stacy sat, jabbering in a foreign tongue while Lathander continued to pray fervently, both oblivious to the battle raging around them. Bandar snapped out of his reverie and tried to shake Lathander to his senses before blasting the monster with psionic energy. Gholoth and the Umber Hulk traded blows as Aramek flew into a rage and smashed the beast with mighty chops of his hammer. But the rest of the group were far less productive – Lathander thought Bandar was an unholy enemy disturbing his prayer and attacked him, but that was happily ineffective. Bandar returned to his dreamy star-lit walk disturbed by an “Orc,” and tried to impale his enemy, but thankfully missed.

Gholoth fell back from the fray to heal himself while Aramek went toe to toe with the Umber Hulk, trading blow for blow. Stacy believed he was in a dungeon, armed only with a dagger, and his jailer was coming. He attacked his jailer when he appeared…barely missing his own familiar with a stab of his dagger [again, thank goodness]! Aramek saved the group for the umpteenth time by crushing the life out of it with his massive hammer, which pulled the rest of the group out of their stupor. They sheepishly thanked the mighty dwarf and apologized to each other – though Stacy couldn’t find his cat anywhere (it wouldn’t return to him for hours). The Band decided to rest in that room and heal up until the next day. In the rear of the cavern, they found another large and heavy stash of valuables, including a 3’ copper statue of a dwarven warrior. They left these piles for later, but Gholoth kept a magical ring he found.

The night passed uneventfully. Gholoth and Bandar talked about psionics, including where they had found their powers and what they could do with them. Bandar was feeling more comfortable with Gholoth already, but certainly not ready to reveal his mark yet. Though when he mentioned the Brotherhood, Gholoth glowered – he’s pretty clearly not a member, which is good.

Last edited:

SolidSnake

First Post
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Session 14, Part 2- Trials and Tribulations (or “I know Kung Fu!”)

After resting a day the group was ready for another foray deeper into the treacherous temple. As they prepared, Bandar reminded everyone that they had cleared another quarter of the temple’s circumference, and would now probably face the minions of Tharizdun in the Southern Bridge Complex. The cavern where the Band had fought the trolls was probably the antechamber to the Complex, judging by the troll with Tharizdun armor that had emerged from the doorway beyond to help his fellow trolls. Though it seemed like every fight was extremely difficult, the fights against the Tharizdun fanatics at the West entrance and the Northern Bridge Complex had been particularly vicious and the party had barely emerged victorious. Another daunting battle like the previous ones probably awaited the group.

But there was some cause for celebration. Divine Pelor had heard Lathander’s humble prayers spoken from within this morass of evil. The God had welcomed his faithful cleric into the ranks of his elite as a Radiant Servant of Pelor. The handsome priest was shining at his impressive accomplishment that he had desired for so long. The others congratulated him, impressed by his aura of confidence and newfound power. Lathander was even more valuable to the party than before.

Proceeding cautiously, the Band moved forward past the scenes of its hard-won fights against the umber hulks and the trolls. Stacy crept ahead to the door from which the armored troll had emerged, and silently checked it for traps. As the party watched on in hushed anticipation, the halfling used his picks to open the door’s lock. With visible effort, Stacy cracked open the door without eliciting a creak from its hinges. The glow of a lantern beyond appeared through the ajar doorway.

As the small thief peeked inside, he got the fright of his life. Only his lightening reflexes, perfected over the years in a demanding and dangerous profession, saved him from being skewered by a gigantic blade that swept through the opening exactly where he had been a split second beforehand. The door flew from its hinges, revealing a massive troll bedecked in black armor encrusted with Tharizdun’s symbols, silhouetted in the light beyond. The creature carried a weapon with two ten-foot blades protruding in each direction, a twenty-foot long murderous monstrosity that no normal creature could wield. So much for surprise…

As Stacy tried to scramble to safety, the troll pounced and did a sweeping cut with its weapon. Stacy dodged as best he could, but the blade caught him and threw him across the cavern like a rag doll. The halfling recovered enough to attempt to cast a spell, but his pain ruined his concentration and the magic was lost. His friends rushed to the rescue – Bandar unleashed a psionic concussion, Aramek slammed the monster with his hammer, and Gholoth dared to engage with just his powerful kicks and punches.

Lathander trumped them all with a totally new spell: he summoned an angelic being from heaven! The lantern archon appeared, a globe of holy energy to help the group. It projected protective magic to good creatures nearby and disrupted evil creatures like the troll. The monster squinted against the new light nearby and swiped at Aramek, who miraculously remained unscathed from its gigantic chops.

Showing that even the littlest action can make all the difference, Stacy blocked out his pain and completed his Color Spray spell. The troll stopped its murderous sword sweeps to look at the pretty colors. The party was amazed and overjoyed at the troll’s vulnerability, and rushed to take advantage of the opportunity. Bandar unleashed waves of painful mental energy, Aramek repeatedly battered it with his hammer, and even the lantern archon did its share with small burning beams of light that raked the beast’s flesh. Gholoth was frustrated that even his best kicks and punches were useless against the stunned monster. Just before the troll came out of its daze, Lathander completed a Heat Metal spell, and started to agitate the enemy’s black armor.

Once the towering troll came to and registered the painful attacks from all sides, it retreated with bounding strides out of sight into the Complex. The members of the Band grinned at each other and pressed forward into the lit areas beyond. They were experienced enough to know that they shouldn’t get giddy over winning the first skirmish, and they checked the areas with quick precision as they moved into the unexplored areas. Led by Stacy (who was moving rapidly thanks to Expeditious Retreat), the party passed some umber hulk heads apparently kept as trophies. Gholoth healed himself with psionic energy and joined Aramek at the head of the main party. Lathander sent his archon ally ahead to follow the troll, and the floating being discovered the troll in a hallway beyond yelling into rooms for help. The holy creature fried the troll with its light rays while the monster’s armor continued to burn, leaving the troll screaming in pain. In the meantime, Lathander cast Divine Power on himself, which literally made him shine with holy light and improved his fighting skills. It’s good to have a Radiant Servant of Pelor around…

The Band proceeded, checking side areas before moving ahead. They heard a clamor up ahead as the passage opened into a huge, wide, well-lit hallway extending hundreds of feet. Aramek peeked down a side corridor and groaned at what he saw – a pair of charging lizards with fangs and teeth barred (velociraptors). Lathander pulled up the rear, bringing Divine Favor down on the group while his archon cast Aid on Gholoth.

The raptors collided with Aramek and Gholoth in a flurry of screeches, flying claws, swinging hammers, and mighty kicks. One beast clawed Aramek in the face, and he responded with a snarl and an angry attack that bowled the creature over. Gholoth’s fist loosened the other raptor’s razor-sharp teeth while the archon’s rays crackled through the air. Stacy fired on the monsters while Bandar started agitating their hides with psionics. Lathander completed Shield of Faith to boost his defense and smiled as he heard the troll with the scalding armor howling in the distance. Stacy noted with dismay that human warriors were pouring out of doors from the long hallway and converging on the group’s flank.

The Tharizdun soldiers closed in on the party but failed to do much damage, even though the group’s best fighters were facing the raptors on the other side. Some soldiers fired at the bright archon, a totally useless endeavor given the creature’s magical protections. Some swiped at Gholoth as he fought the snarling raptors, but the psionic monk was too quick for them. More soldiers were approaching from rooms farther down the hallway. Stacy and Bandar attacked the raptors from afar as the beasts ripped away at Gholoth and Aramek. One lizard bit the tough dwarf on the shoulder. Aramek angrily grabbed the monster by the neck, and with a crushing blow from his hammer he bashed in its skull in a shower of flying gore. Without hesitation, he closed in on Gholoth’s raptor and smashed it as well just as Gholoth broke some of its ribs with a strong kick. Lathander finished off his repertoire of preparatory spells with Fire Shield on himself, and his archon gave him Aid before its time expired and it returned to its plane of existence.

Tharizdun troops poured into the party’s midst, and more were coming. With enough targets in range now, Bandar let loose a psionically-charged Stomp that failed to knock any of the soldiers off their feet. Gholoth occupied the last raptor’s attention with several swift attacks before mighty Aramek killed the beast with another skull-shattering swing of his hammer.

Lathander then surprised the entire group with his next spell. He used Searing Light on the hallway of troops converging on the group, and Pelor had granted the spell tremendous power. There was a blinding flash of light and when it was gone there were just piles of ash where more than a dozen soldiers had been! The Band was left blinking, suddenly free of enemies. Unfortunately, that freedom lasted only a split second…

Down the raptor hallway a woman in dark robes stepped out of a doorway, followed by a half-orc in brightly-colored robes. They grimly unleashed powerful attacks on the party, which had already weathered several assaults. The wizardess sent a powerful fireball that exploded in the center of the group and only Gholoth managed to avoid with a swift jump out of the blast. When the flames receded, Stacy was an unmoving heap on the ground, with Bandar, Lathander, Aramek groaning with pain. Aramek’s groans turned to a howl when the half-orc shot energy into the wall nearby, spraying the hardened dwarf with a shower of stone shards that cut him deeply. Aramek was worse for wear, even with Lathander’s Shield Other spell (cast before the battle) absorbing some of the damage.

Yet the two new spellcasting foes were not all of the Band’s new troubles. The troll with the searing hot armor reappeared down the hallway, still furious and in pain. Now he’d brought his boss, though, who made the troll look downright friendly. Next to the towering troll was a huge ogre with bat-like wings, carrying a two-handed sword, and wearing a red gem necklace. (The hulking goblin-like spellcaster at the Northern Bridge Complex had a similar necklace). With a chuckle, the newest and mightiest foe sent a dark wave of power into the battered party’s midst. This time the group stubbornly resisted its effects, except Bandar, who was left in pain and retching from the corruptive power.

Despite the thorough pounding he had received in the last few seconds, Bandar ran up to the massive ogre and troll and launched his most impressive psionic attack, a deafening Cone of Sound. The Ogre shrugged off the ear-splitting attack, but the troll was in pain. Lathander cast Magic Weapon and gave his mace magical power for the coming fight. Aramek charged the hulking monstrosities towering over Bandar, falling into a rage. He ducked the troll’s huge blade and suffered a tremendous cut from the Ogre to close the distance and deal both foes some painful blows.

In the meantime, Gholoth took on both the wizardess and half-orc casters at once. Tangling with such powerful enemies alone would normally be the end of even an experienced warrior, but Gholoth was a cut above the rest. He ran straight through a magical barrier the spellcasters had created to protect them, and knocked the wizardess back with a punch. She reacted by running up the wall away from Gholoth and out of reach, apparently having cast Spider Climb on herself before the battle. The half-orc seared the psionic monk with magical rays from his eyes, but Gholoth countered the damage with a psionic ability that reduced its effects.

Normally the wizardess would be removed from combat, perched high on the wall as she was, and free to let loose deadly spells. Gholoth was not the least concerned, using his psionic powers to run up onto the wall to face her. He smiled to himself when he saw how perturbed the woman was. When she released a tremendous lightning bolt directly into the tattooed monk, he reacted instantly. Gholoth threw himself to the side (against the ceiling) and dodged the bolt utterly. If he had any hair on his bald head, it would be standing straight up. The powerful warrior did not change his expression despite his narrow escape from death, but the wizardess had changed her expression – there was a look of sheer terror on her face! [DM notes: This fight was straight out of “The Matrix,” I kid you not…]

Bandar stood next to powerful Aramek and let loose a Stomp that knocked the Troll to the ground but didn’t phase the mighty ogre mage. Lathander came behind Aramek and cast defensively, healing some of his comrade’s worst wounds (and still suffering from those Aramek had suffered before). He completed his spell in the knick of time, because both the recovering troll and the huge ogre worked together to chop into Aramek from both sides, leaving him staggering. Being hit with two ten foot blades by towering creatures would fell even a veteran fighter, but Aramek was made of sterner stuff. The others are always stunned at how much of a beating the great dwarf can absorb. Just as Aramek cried out, he heard an answering call from a strangely familiar voice. He thought his mind was playing tricks on him during what seemed his final moments alive.

Lathander had enough time to turn and see brave Sentien charge onto the scene, wearing banded mail and carrying his sword high. The sight of the mighty paladin arriving refreshed his sagging spirits in the desperate, losing fight for the Southern Bridge Complex. Lathander didn’t care why Sentien was there, he just felt overjoyed that their trusted companion had returned in the nick of time, even without new plate armor.

Aramek had already shown his mettle many times over in this battle, but he yet again proved his worth with another stunning deed. Covered in his own blood and that of his enemies, groaning from pain due to multiple horrible wounds, Aramek still managed another stunning attack. During the moment when the Ogre mage was distracted by Sentien’s arrival, Aramek lunged forward at its knees. The monster stooped low to fend off any crippling attack, unintentionally leaving itself open. Aramek lost no time in scrambling back and sending his warhammer home directly between the Ogre’s eyes with strength that would have made a giant jealous. For the third time in a minute, stout Aramek caved in the skull of an opponent, just this time it was the head of the enemy leader! The large beast collapsed with a shudder, spelling disaster for the troll that remained.

As only Aramek could do, he followed up the deadly blow on the Ogre with a bone-shattering hit on the troll, who was falling back in horror. It’s armor was finally cooling off, but it was severely weakened and suddenly outmatched. Lathander closed in with his mace, testing the creature’s defenses and not letting it get away.

On the other front, Gholoth was also in the midst of heroic deeds. The half-orc spellcaster had drunk a potion to levitate into the fight between the wizardess and the psionic monk. The wizardess ran off her wall, onto the ground, and then up on the other wall with her Spider Climb, and then unleashed another lightning bolt at Gholoth, around the same time that her companion released bolts of energy as he had done earlier. Impossibly fast and agile, Gholoth merely dodged both attacks completely, shocking both casters and filling them with dread. They had used up their greatest power without even singeing Gholoth, who had now avoided four powerful offensive spells! Gholoth coolly accepted his fortune and skill, and advanced undeterred. He ran off his wall, across the floor, and onto the wizardess’ wall, where he nearly broke all her teeth with a massive punch as she watched on in shock. The half-orc took stock of the situation, then turned tail and ran!

Meanwhile, Sentien stooped over Stacy and brought the downed adventurer back to consciousness with a Cure Light Wounds spell. Further down the hallway, the troll tried to avoid Lathander, who was sheathed in magical flame from his earlier spells. The troll couldn’t connect with the two dwarves, and was hard-pressed as the group focused on it now – Stacy fired with his crossbow, Bandar prepared an attack, and Aramek was doggedly on the monster’s heels. Behind the troll, a group of eight gnolls charged into view, but they stopped ten feet short of the group for some reason.

In the meantime, the injured and desperate wizardess begged for her life from impassive Gholoth, whom she had tried to kill several times. As the psionic monk considered his options, Stacy relieved him of the choice. The halfling saw what was going on and ended the spellcaster’s life with a well-aimed shot to the head. Her body fell limply to the ground. Stacy nodded to Gholoth and turned his attention back to the main fight. The tattooed man shrugged and walked off the wall.

Sentien charged into the fray with the armored troll, who reminded the group that he was still very dangerous by carving into the paladin with his twin-bladed sword. Sentien grimaced, wishing he had his armor back. Bandar stepped forward to face the gnolls, bursting a Cone of Sound over the group of monsters. Despite the well-placed attack that made the air course with waves of potent psionic energy, the gnolls seemed utterly unaffected. Bandar growled in frustration, having expected that attack to finish the gnolls off. Yet Bandar’s attack and Aramek’s brutal attacks against the troll convinced the beasts to make a hasty retreat. Gholoth returned to the group from his little noticed but amazingly successful side battle where he bested two powerful spellcasters without even suffering a scratch.

Now the Band faced just one injured troll, exactly as the battle had begun. Sentien failed to penetrate the beast’s considerable armor and Stacy missed from afar. Bandar used some of the last of his mental energy to knock the monster off its feet with Stomp after it hit Aramek yet again. In his final revenge, Aramek nearly knocked the troll’s head off, snapping its neck. [Talk about doing most of the damage for the group...]

Gholoth sprinted to the troll’s corpse while Lathander healed struggling Aramek. As Sentien made sure the beast stayed down with chops from his blade, Lathander lit the monster’s body on fire. The Band saw a door fly open and the half-orc go scurrying across the wide hallway up ahead with a tome tucked under his arm, but nobody wanted to pursue another enemy. They watched with satisfaction as they ended the armored troll’s life...then noticed with surprise that the supposedly dead ogre mage was slowly dragging himself away. His ugly head no longer seemed so caved in – he must have regenerated! As the Band moved to make sure the ogre stayed dead, it turned to gas and dissipated. They reacted with groans – why couldn’t it stay dead? Who wanted to face that thing again?

Regardless, the immediate fight was over, and the group fell back quickly, remarkably intact given the foes they had just overcome. As they jogged back through the passages to the surface, they asked Sentien why he had returned.

“I came back from my quest for new armor because I couldn’t bear to leave my friends to face the Temple. Staying here and helping was more important than getting new armor. It’s good to be back.”

The whole Band agreed that it was great to have Sentien back, especially in the midst of this tough battle. Stacy was especially grateful, since he would have perished without Sentien’s healing. Lathander formally introduced Sentien to Stacy and Gholoth, new since he had left.

The group camped outside that night, regaling stories of what had taken place in their momentous fight against the Southern Bridge Complex. They agreed that what Aramek and Gholoth were incredible and probably saved the party from destruction. Gholoth had already earned a very respected place in the Band of the Rising Sun.

They healed and rested, preparing themselves to return yet again; this time to finish off the slaves of Tharizdun in the Southern Bridge Complex.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Hi

I gotta say I was pretty surprised by the dearth of posts here. I'm only a few posts into the story, but so far this is an outstanding example of a ravenloft campaign. Please keep posting.

Remove ads