Ravenloft in Space!

Aldarc

Legend
As a kid of the '80s, I grew up on science-fantasy and absolutely love it.

While there is all sorts of gonzo science-fantasy out there, I have rarely if ever seen much science-fantasy TTRPGs with a sci-fi gothic fantasy aesthetic. Do you know of any TTRPGs that would be akin to vampires, werewolves, and other gothic horror monstrosities set in a spacefaring science-fantasy setting? Or as per the title: Ravenloft in Space?

dbm

Savage!
Gothic science fantasy is pretty much a description of 40k when you take into consideration things like Rogue Traders. Their space ships are gothic cathedrals that fly, and there are lots of terrifying things out there across xenomorphs and things from the warp.

But they don’t really highlight things like vampires or werewolves which is why I didn’t suggest it earlier.

There are a few space operas which are baroque, like the aptly named Baroque Space Opera for Fate. And some strange sci-fi games like Luther Arkwright for RQ6 / Mithras.

So options, but nothing that exactly matches what you are asking for?

aramis erak

Legend
Gothic science fantasy is pretty much a description of 40k when you take into consideration things like Rogue Traders. Their space ships are gothic cathedrals that fly, and there are lots of terrifying things out there across xenomorphs and things from the warp.

But they don’t really highlight things like vampires or werewolves which is why I didn’t suggest it earlier.
Yeah, Vampires and shapeshifters were part of the original 40K RT tabletop minis game... and the Jokero are essentially Niven's Moties...but didn't make it into the RPGs.

Still, the goth/industrial vibe is deeply ingrained into Dark Heresy and the RT RPGs

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Other than toolbox systems, I personally haven’t played any games that fit that description, strictly speaking. However, there’s probably a host of systems that could be kitbashed into supporting such a game. Some non-toolbox systems I might consider using :

Starfinder
Space:1889
Dragonstar
Iron Kingdoms
WoD/nWod
D20 Modern
Deadlands Hell on Earth
Earthdawn
Shadowrun

Or even a straight up dread demiplane from Ravenloft intersecting with Spelljammer.

aco175

Legend
Does nobody recall this gem. I know it is demonic parasites, but you can make something of that.

1698630327490.png

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
T. H. Gulliver wrote an anthology of five one-shot modules based in the Kronusverse setting, published by me, as Gamer Printshop, for Starfinder RPG. I'm currently working the Starfinder update of my published Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror (PFRPG) which isn't Ravenloft, but is Ravenloft inspired...

Remove ads