Ravenloft, Where are the fans?

Revan79

First Post
i'm getting ready to run my 5e group through Night of the Walking Dead. this is my first go at running an adventure in Ravenloft and it looks like it'll be a blast!

any conversion tips or pitfalls you guys have come across?

Yeah I ran this and although it's a fairly small module (only 36 or so pages) There can be quite a few pitfalls that i definitely strode right into.

From this point on there are SPOILERS so please don't read further if you don't want to know.

1. Update Marcel's stats and know how you want to use the final encounter as he is supposed to extremely powerful with his death aura.

2. Know exactly what needs to happen for "Each Day" so you can anticipate and work around the party when they inevitably decide to split the party and go off in different directions.

3.The Scroll of Hyskosa is part of an ongoing saga of six adventures that may tie up the PC's focus, so if you only want a stand alone one shot minimize this aspect or omit it completely otherwise you have a great hook to keep the adventure going.

4. Have an out if the PC's get into trouble fighting ghouls, I had Brucian the town shaman/cleric appear to help them if they were suffering to hard.

If you have ant further questions just ask as I really enjoyed running this module.

AKABigBlack

First Post
thank you very much. not sure at this point if i'm keeping them in Ravenloft of just one shot it. i'm really just using this as a plot device to introduce a new PC who is under the influence of a vampire.

has anyone seen a 5e conversion of a zombie lord or ju ju's?

Revan79

First Post
The best thing I can suggest is just create your own versions of these creatures as your really only using them for 1 or 2 fights. I have even used totally different undead like ghouls or ghasts and just described them as "red eyed" zombies. Always remember, the players only know what YOU(the DM) tell them, there's nothing like throwing monsters at PC's and they think it's some suped up version when actually your using the stats for a totally different monster. It scares the metagame right out of them because they have no real player knowlege about it. (It's always fun to see your group panicking) Mwahahahah!

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I remember Ship of Horrors. One of the players summed up the captain's diary: "Got drunk, needed money, never working for ___ again. Ug, got drunk, needed money, never working for ___ again."

I saw a lot of potential from A Light in the Belfry, but it needed reworking. (shameless plug for the thread I'm posting details about my conversion in)

AKABigBlack

First Post
so i came up with this for the zombie lord (C+C welcome!):
Capture.PNG

Revan79

First Post
I have thought about the "Lord" template such as Zombie Lord,Ghoul Lord might be able to give stacks of Exhaustion to make them even more deadly. Is that too mean do you think?

Remove ads