Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

Mercurius

Legend
I doubt they'll do a second campaign setting so soon, let alone devote much resources into this setting until they know it's a success. That'd be a huge gamble.

Really, this means we're unlikely to see a second campaign setting book for the next couple years, until they know if this was was successful or not and they feel a new book won't compete directly with this one for sales.
Plus, that they went with this setting over the others really speaks to the staff's decision not to release books they've already done. They purposely chose not to release a classic setting rather than test the markets for a setting book with a known popular world.

This is likely IT for published settings for 5e. This is what we're getting.

I don't get this interpretation at all.

Re-read the Nathan Stewart quotes that Remathilis posted. Stewart clearly says that there will be two settings that will please hardcore fans--so, "classics"--and a surprise later this year.

That's three settings that WotC is going to support in some form or fashion.

Now what does that mean? That's what we don't know. All we know is we're getting a Ravnica book and something for two (probably classic) settings that will (allegedly) please hardcore fans. That something could be anything from:
*Opened up to DM's Guild
*3PP licensing
*PDF primers/gazetteers
*Unearthed Arcana articles
*Actual hardcover books

Or probably some combination of the above.

Yaarel

He Mage
I get it's real. I'm still holding out hope we get a second announcement about an actual D&D setting as well. I'm still banking on a UA about Eberron that will coincidence with a 2019 book.

I'll be mad if this is the ONLY setting we're getting after the hints and build up.

I expect you will also see a classic D&D setting. Some of the hints implied *grognards* would be happy. While I am curious about Ravnica, I doubt it qualifies as mr. grognard service.

neogod22

Explorer
I get it's real. I'm still holding out hope we get a second announcement about an actual D&D setting as well. I'm still banking on a UA about Eberron that will coincidence with a 2019 book.

I'll be mad if this is the ONLY setting we're getting after the hints and build up.
What happens in 2019 is still unknown. But everything for 2018 has now been announced.

S

Sunseeker

I am excited.

I'd be more excited if this meant WotC was going to re-start writing novels to accompany their MTG sets. The sets have lost substantial flavor since they stopped. Granted the books weren't profitable in the sligtest, or really that good. But I still have my original Ravnica block books. They really add something that's missing these days.

Maybe this will fill that spot as well.

Or maybe this will just cause Jace the magical white saviour of the universe to contaminate D&D as well.

I am really interested to see if/how they do a robust adaptation of MtG's five-color system to D&D. Because that could be a lot of work. But if they don't do it, like they didn't for the little PDFs they've been doing, would it really be the same setting as in MtG?

(And thinking pessimistically, Ravnica might not be the best setting to introduce the five colors to D&D, because a city-plane has very... idiosyncratic definitions of "plains", "islands", "swamps", "mountains", and "forests".)

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
People actually care for MtG in D&D enough for WotC to spend their precious, extremely limited hardcover lineup space for it? Since when has this been a thing?

I agree with an earlier poster. It's a placeholder for a "Sigil: City of Doors" campaign, bringing Planescape back to D&D.

neogod22

Explorer
It's interesting comparing the reactions here and the DND Next Reddit thread where most dislike the idea to the Magic Reddit thread where the idea is very popular. It's easy to get caught up in a community and assume that if most in that community don't like it, the clearly the world at large doesn't either.
I believe this is what they were going with. To get the Magic people to cross over to D&D. What I hope is they support the product and not just say "here's the book, this is all you get."

S

Sunseeker

It's disappointing because it IS a rehash, just from one of their sister franchises. It's a cynical corporate move to try and cross-pollinate their fanbases. This is the opposite of branching out, while simultaneously making no (known) progress on any of the more classic settings. Overall quite disappointed from this announcement.

And the problem with getting MTG players into D&D, and D&D players into MTG is...what exactly?

Remove ads

Remove ads