D&D 5E RAW: Spell attack rolls modifiers stack?

WilliamCQ

Explorer
Do spell attack rolls modifiers stack (ie: dual-weilding Rod of the Pact Keeper & Staff of Power) ? It's important for answers to be Rules as Written (RAW).

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Yes, bonuses always stack unless they come from things with the same name. So two pact rods would not stack but the rod and staff will.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Do as you wish but all I can say is that I'd treat these bonuses the same as a regular weapon bonus. Holding two +1 short swords doesn't give you a total +2 to hit, it gives you a +1 to hit with each. Each time you cast an attack spell you'd have to choose whether to use the rod's bonus of the staff's bonus.

CapnZapp

Legend
Do as you wish but all I can say is that I'd treat these bonuses the same as a regular weapon bonus. Holding two +1 short swords doesn't give you a total +2 to hit, it gives you a +1 to hit with each. Each time you cast an attack spell you'd have to choose whether to use the rod's bonus of the staff's bonus.

Sure, yes, IF you treat a rod like a weapon, the logic about two short swords holds... but there's nothing inherent to a rod (or wand, or book, etc) that says you need to "wield" it, only hold it.

For many people magic implements works differently than weapons.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Sure, yes, IF you treat a rod like a weapon, the logic about two short swords holds... but there's nothing inherent to a rod (or wand, or book, etc) that says you need to "wield" it, only hold it.

Well like I said, they can do as they wish but I would never allow two different items to stack a bonus to spell attack rolls. They are essentially two separate foci, you can use one or the other but you can't duel wield them for twice the bonus. If you want to rule differently then go for it but personally that :):):):) won't fly in my games.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post

My group was forced to rule that you wield magical implements because one of the wizards, who may or may not have been me, took a cue from Harry Dresden and was unafraid to use them as melee weapons.

So, I would think it depends on if the rod is only used for magical purposes, or if it's used as a club as well.

Ganymede81

First Post
The RAW answer here is actually pretty muddy as the effects in question, the bonuses to spell attack rolls, do not have proper names. The items themselves have proper names, but the items and their sundry effects are not one in the same.

Just make a ruling.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Well like I said, they can do as they wish but I would never allow two different items to stack a bonus to spell attack rolls. They are essentially two separate foci[/url]

The descriptions for the items do not state that they need to be used as a focus for the spell, only that they must be held.

pdegan2814

First Post
Do spell attack rolls modifiers stack (ie: dual-weilding Rod of the Pact Keeper & Staff of Power) ? It's important for answers to be Rules as Written (RAW).

Yes they stack, since they aren't coming from items with the same name. You get a bonus from the Rod and a bonus from the Staff. What you can't do is stack bonuses from two Rods of the Pact Keeper. If you have two of them, you'd only get the bonus from one of them.

pdegan2814

First Post
My group was forced to rule that you wield magical implements because one of the wizards, who may or may not have been me, took a cue from Harry Dresden and was unafraid to use them as melee weapons.

So, I would think it depends on if the rod is only used for magical purposes, or if it's used as a club as well.

The Rod grants a bonus to your spell attack modifier. The description of the Staff of Power says "This staff can be wielded as a magic quarterstaff that grants a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. While holding it, you gain a +2 bonus to Armor Clas, saving throws, and spell attack rolls." So it give an additional +2 to your spell attack rolls, on top of the bonus from the Rod. As per Crawford in 2016(https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/06/2...the-pact-lord-and-wand-of-the-war-mage-stack/), the bonuses from different magic items can stack. But if you're using the staff as a club, the spell attack bonuses from the Rod & Staff do not apply. What DOES apply is the property of the Staff that says it gains a +2 to attack and damage rolls. Essentially, it's a quarterstaff +2 with additional properties.

Remove ads