D&D 5E Re-Envisioning the Flood Trap of Cragmaw Hideout

It would be good if the entrance to the cave sealed and the water raised to the level of the bridge. So if they get swept away,, they take damage when the hit the blockage and get pinned there until the water reaches its max height. The door is timed so it opens and releases the water and sends everything out of the cave. Having something in the water that would pull them under would be useful. Maybe hit them with a grasping tentacles right before the water hits?

Nice ideas...
I thought about oil and setting it ablaze, but worried about it affecting the NPCs and the whole concern over hindering/harming everyone in the cave, not just the PC's.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward sealing off the cave entrance so the water level rises. Then either doing green slime or perhaps quippers/alligators in the water. Maybe the riptide horror. That would be bad!

I'm also considering something to punish the players who with apparent metagame knowledge started climbing the walls... Maybe I'll put the green slime on the walls and the quippers in the water...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Disorganized stream of consciousness:
Basic tripwire(s) in the river make you fall (all wet, damage gear) plus set off alarms inside. If you have a flood put some short logs in it, just enough to grab and float but not enough to protect you from hazards in the water. Summon something carnivorous from the Elemental Plane of Water to swim in the maelstrom. Tidal Wave spell in Princes of the Apocalypse wrecked and frightened my group, import that.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
  • wave of water, then hit it with a freezing sphere to freeze PCs in the trench as they are assailed by kobolds
  • a great wave of hot molasses accompanied by swarms of angry hornets, which the kobolds simply snack on as they assail the mired PCs.
  • rust monster stampede (if you have a desire to alienate your players forever)
  • a shambling mound or two washed into the PCs along with the water, and its kobold sorc keeper/s use lightning bolts to keep it healed and PCs electrified.

Remove ads