D&D 5E Reactions for all monsters!

How do you feel reactions should be handled for monsters?

• Reactions are special because they can turn a battle, and only important monsters should get them

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Give reactions to nearly every creature; it adds options for the DM

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Other

Votes: 17 41.5%

Sacrosanct

Legend
A lot of helpful feedback. So I'm hearing bookkeeping and tracking is a pain, so to reduce that burden a bit. And no need for things like skeletons to have additional options other than their core attacks.

To follow up on the example, here is a refined version (I want to avoid terms like "per encounter" or "bloodied")

afanc.jpg

BookTenTiger

He / Him
A lot of helpful feedback. So I'm hearing bookkeeping and tracking is a pain, so to reduce that burden a bit. And no need for things like skeletons to have additional options other than their core attacks.

To follow up on the example, here is a refined version (I want to avoid terms like "per encounter" or "bloodied")

View attachment 151088
I love the idea of an Area of Effect that happens when bloodied. It's a little confusing as a Reaction, though. If the Afanc already made an Opportunity Attack and gets bloodied, can it still use the Musk Spray reaction?

J-H

Hero
I don't want to track which zombies out of the horde of 20 have used their reactions and which haven't. Remembering to use "Con save to not die at 0hp" is enough.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I voted for the "no" options, but my reasoning more to do with the book keeping that other people have mentioned rather than it turning the tide of battle (most reactions don't). I forget monster abilities enough as it is.

I think the latest version of the sample monster you posted is the way to go.

dave2008

Legend
I picked other. A monster should have special reactions (other than OA) if it makes thematic sense. They don't need to be forced. I do like legendary actions (aka legendary reactions) for special monsters though

Remove ads