Read an RPG Book in Public Week: Feb 28-March 6

Dr Awkward

First Post
Read An RPG Book in Public Week is an event that happens three times a year, during the weeks surrounding March 4th, July 27th, and October 1st (starting on the Sunday on or before, and ending on the Saturday on or after). During these weeks, roleplaying enthusiasts are encouraged to take their favorite RPG rulebooks out with them and "get caught" reading them in public - on the bus, in the coffee shop, at lunch, at the park, or anywhere (as long as it isn't disruptive to work, school, church, or any other functions).

The goal is to make the roleplaying hobby more visible, to get it "out of the basement" and into public areas where more people can see it. This will make others more aware of the hobby - some may ask you what your book is about, giving you the opportunity to explain the hobby to them. A few of those may be interested enough to try it themselves. Former gamers may see what you're reading and think about the great times they used to have with roleplaying, and possibly even try it again.

This upcoming week - February 28th to March 6th - will be the first of this year's events. Take an RPG book out with you that week, and see where it takes you. Be sure to email me at RPGadvocate@gmail.com with any interesting stories or pictures that result, and (with your permission) I'll share them on the Escapist Blog.

For more info on the cause, visit the official page at The Escapist - Read an RPG Book in Public Week You can also join the Facebook group at Read an RPG Book in Public Week | Facebook and if you're on Twitter, use the #readrpgs hashtag to tweet and see the tweets of other particpants.

talarei07

First Post
i wasnt aware of this thing. but last week i was reading werewolf the forsaken on on a bus and this guy sat next to me and told me that it was a stupid thing to be reading in public. he then told that everyone knows vampire was more fun than werewolf. so the rest of the ride we discussed various rpgs and he maybe joining one of my games soon

Dr Awkward

First Post
Are there really that many people on a forum like this who are commonly ashamed of their hobby and unwilling to be seen in public with a book?

I'm banking on no - that's why I posted it here, to try to spread the word to people who would be willing to participate. I've had a pretty positive response so far, and a lot of gamers have told me that they do this regularly already.

I'm just trying to encourage others to do the same, to make the hobby more visible, to increase acceptance and understanding, and to possibly even attract some new blood into our hobby.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm torn between respect for running a movement like this, irritation that there is even a perceived need for it, and the possibility of grabbing my PHB2 and taking a stroll down to the pub. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I read my damnable tome of eldritch evil Call of Cthulhu book down in the park every now and again. Maybe I'll bust it out in a more public place for the occasion.

Dr Awkward

First Post
I'm torn between respect for running a movement like this, irritation that there is even a perceived need for it, and the possibility of grabbing my PHB2 and taking a stroll down to the pub. :)

If I may offer my terribly biased advice: Forget about #1 (I'm not in this for the respect, I just want to further the hobby), and let #2 drive you to do #3. :)

Remove ads