Real-life dungeons of Nottingham Castle

AllisterH

First Post
You know...I always wonder what our UK friends think of the typical medieval town in D&D.

North America has never really had the "medieval" town setup but even to this day, many of the English tons have the same layout as they did in medeival times.

Or how about describing a castle or manor house? For North Americans, it's either by words or pictures...

For a UK gamer, it's more like I can see "You know like the old Berkshire Manor house we passed by yesterday, NOT like the Westwood castle we walked by today..."

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Nifty. I'm actually moving to Nottingham (either for a few months or permanently/indefinitely) in the spring, so I will have to go check that out...

wedgeski

Adventurer
It is a fantastic privilege to be able to stroll around the likes of Warwick castle simply by taking a quick jaunt down the motorway (well, one we have to pay for, but a privilege nonetheless!).

nerfherder

Explorer
It is a fantastic privilege to be able to stroll around the likes of Warwick castle simply by taking a quick jaunt down the motorway (well, one we have to pay for, but a privilege nonetheless!).

Definitely. I open the curtains in the morning at home to a view of Lumley Castle. Take the train in to work to Newcastle. Go shopping in the nearest city and see Durham castle. Heck, my street has "Castle" in the name!

Cthulhu terrorising Lumley Castle by lpmcc, on Flickr

Going back a bit further, I like driving up to Hadrian's Wall to do some walking.

It was fantastic in March this year when they illuminated the whole length

Night sky, Illuminating Hadrian's Wall by lpmcc, on Flickr

Last edited:

nerfherder

Explorer
For a UK gamer, it's more like I can see "You know like the old Berkshire Manor house we passed by yesterday, NOT like the Westwood castle we walked by today..."
I've tended to experience it the other way round - visiting a castle, and then recognising that a DM used it in his game.

You're right, though, it can give a common reference point between players and DM.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Living in the UK for four years was an incredible gamer education (and I'd even lived in Europe previously). Not just visiting scores of castles, but actually living in a village and seeing the echoes of the medieval social structure all around you in the manor houses, medieval churches, market towns, etc.

It's worth noting that Nottingham's geology is pretty unique even in England. There's even a pub built into the side of that sandstone edifice with many of its rooms carved into the stone. (The pub also claims to be the oldest operating pub in the UK. Who knows?) You can find it here: Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem - Englands Oldest Inn

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases