Real Life Places That Inspire You As A DM

WolfhillRPG

Explorer
"The Forsaken Song of the Sea" was written with Irelands coastline fresh in my mind. Slieve league, Cliffs of Moher, and Mizen head were a great inspiration and photos from my journey there were actually used in the module. The British Isles in general are magical and a huge inspiration in my running of games.
359 (800x600).jpg
665 (800x600).jpg
248 (800x600).jpg

5ekyu

Hero
Now, bear with me because I am olde and when I first GMed these mattered - the library. I mean, not only for the vast numbers of stories - real and imaginary- of fantastic places and events across histories... but also helping to get a sense of intertwining narrow spaces and fragile treasures.

RobShanti

Explorer
WOW! That takes me back, 5ekyu! I remember as an early teenager walking the mile or so to the library with my gaming group, researching stuff for our AD&D games, and getting distracted by the eye-catching cover art of fiction novels (not the least of which included John Norman's Gor series) and just spending hours upon hours there in the summers immersed in those wondrous tomes. The experience required a patience and an ability to quiet the mind that I think may be a lost art.

aco175

Legend
I was amazed the time we went to the pyramids back when I was in the Army. They are basically next to the city, but all the movies shoot it from the side where you think they are in the middle of nowhere. I made a dungeon where the city grew up around the dungeon.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Go to Italy and find a small town that is off the tourist routes - D&D city ambiance. (Presumably works anywhere else in Europe too.) So unlike US "elbow room" square-grid urban design.

Remove ads