• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Real Locations that should be fantasy

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
Farmer42 said:
I can't remember it's name, but somewhere in this world is a bar built and themed off of HR Giger. It's got statues and everything. Very creep, and very awesome.

Edit: Link: http://www.vagabondish.com/switzerlands-alien-hr-giger-bar/
I've been there, and it's just as creepy in person. Actually, it might even be stranger in person, because it's inside the medieval town of Gruyere, a fortified town on the top of a hill. So you walk down the main street of a medieval town, pass through an arch into a small courtyard, and suddenly, BAM, Giger.

Gruyere itself would be a great location, as a fortified medieval town with a castle. It would be a great base for adventurers. It's in the middle of a large flat valley in the Swiss alps, atop a rocky hill, just asking to be besieged by orcs. And, of course, having a festering Cthuloid bar down a side alley just adds to the atmosphere.

Actually, now I'm very tempted to use it in a new game. The bar could be owned by a retired (or missing) warlock, who has fallen out with the lord of the castle. There are caverns under the hill, of course, discontent among its noble lords, and orcs and other monsters gathering in the ancient ruins in the far mountains.

Last edited:

Huw

First Post
Valetta. Capital of Malta, and a bloody great fortress.

Yellowstone Park.

Lake Toba. What Yellowstone Park will end up looking like if it ever erupts.

Gaping Gill cave.

The Casiquiare Canal. A natural canal which connects the Amazon and Orinoco rivers. See, even nature produces rivers which make no sense.

DanChops

First Post
hong said:
You could do worse than use all of Civilization 4's wonders.
Indeed. Here's a list. Glancing through, the only ones that don't strike me as being great inspiration for a fantastic location are the modern "happy resource" wonders (like Hollywood), the Space Elevator (unless I was playing Spelljammer...), and the Three Gorges Dam (although that may be more a lack of imagination on my part.)
In fact, the National Wonders are all neat inspiration as well.
Hong, you've inspired me. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads