Realms of Enlightenment: The Grey Companions (final update posted 02.14.10)

That is so ruthless wow the party is down to 3 and stuck on another plane

The perfect time to ambush them with 12 umber hulks and a plane sailing ship full of god knows what, illitheds? Drow?

OVER KILL heavy on the KILL

That exceeds RBDMing by a long shot

P.S.
Can’t wait for your next post

Jon Potter

First Post
That is so ruthless wow the party is down to 3 and stuck on another plane

The perfect time to ambush them with 12 umber hulks and a plane sailing ship full of god knows what, illitheds? Drow?

Come on now! Drow wouldn't be very exotic; Morier is a drow, after all. And the illithids don't come until much later. So you'll have to just keep guessing.

That exceeds RBDMing by a long shot

Is that flattery I hear? :blush:

But seriously, things aren't quite as bad as they seem right now.

For everyone but Noxin, I mean. For Noxin things are just as bad as they seem.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #465] Taking Slaves... or Not

Morier channeled another second circle spell through Ravager driving the bastard sword into the nearest hulk's abdomen. It shrieked in pain, but the cries were almost drowned out by the crackling sizzle of lightning arcing between the eldritch warrior and the umber hulk. Morier was unaffected by the feedback from his Elemental Blade attack, but the umber hulk quivered and smoked from the terrible assault. It was clearly a few heartbeats away from death, but it clung stubbornly to life nonetheless.

Its fellow flailed desperately at the albino, but Morier managed to avoid both its claws. However, in doing so he set himself up for a direct hit from its mandibles. They slashed down savagely around his bare head, but despite the full brunt of the hulk's strength it left little more than a scratch on the albino's pale cheek.

Grandfather Plaque was so far managing to stay away from his own adversary's reach, forcing it to chase him down time and again. And each time moving just out of its grasp at the last second. He maneuvered himself so that his umber hulk was isolated from his allies and opened his stone mouth wide. He let loose with a Shout that ravaged the hulk with sonic energy. Fine cracks that leaked a dark ichor spread across the creature's carapace as it writhed momentarily before expiring.

Saelus, too was trying his best to fight a tactical battle, but with somewhat less success than the tiny construct. The colonel's opponent lashed out a heavy claw and locked a grip on the man's leg. He tried to bring the Unity Blade down onto the thing's wrist, to break its grip, but the chitinous exoskeleton turned the sabre aside without damaging the creature in the slightest. Then it drew him into its embrace.

He tried desperately to twist free of its clutches, but each of its arms was bigger around than his entire body and he found himself crushed impotently against its scratchy, plated chest, his weapon pressed uselessly at his side.

From the corner of his eye, Morier saw another explosion of goo appear off to his right. The ship was still firing on them, but it was well clear of the combatants and quickly collapsed in upon itself. The eldritch warrior ignored it and instead launched himself at the horribly wounded umber hulk before him, burying nearly half of Ravager into the creature's belly. It spasmed weakly against him and fell still, tiny droplets of its blood forming a cloud around both it and Morier.

Before the albino could draw his bastard sword free of the thing, its companion was upon him. It locked its claws onto the elf's shoulder, but before it could solidify its grip, Morier twisted, dragging Ravager from one hulk's entrails and burying it in the other's. This time, he didn't stop with only half the blade and he sank the weapon deep. Hot lifeblood soaked his hands even as the jagged point of the sword erupted from the hulk's armored back. It let out a single spluttering gasp and sagged onto the elf. [ 1 ]

Grandfather Plaque spit another salvo of Magic Missiles at the last umber hulk, striking its back with deadly accuracy as it fled toward the spider ship with Saelus in its clutches. It winced, but did not slacken its pace. The war wizard struggled, but it was hopeless; he was pinned.

Morier launched himself after the umber hulk rapidly closing the distance and sinking his blade into its flank. The creature shrieked but kept going, unwilling to lose its captured prey in favor of striking at another. It dug its claws deeper into the colonel's flesh and pressed on even as another volley of Magic Missiles sizzled across its carapace.

Saelus felt the hulk's blood washing over him as it labored toward the ship. The mage chanced to look up and saw that the arachnoid vessel was turning, angling away from the combat.

Morier charged into the thing again, but this time his blade ricocheted off its armor without injuring the hulk in the slightest. Of course, that same armor offered no protection from Grandfather Plaque's Magic Missiles, and a moment later, four bolts of force pelted its head, cracking its carapace and causing the dead hulk to somersault forward, releasing the rumpled colonel as it did so.

"The ship," Saelus rasped, pointing just as the spider ship began moving off into the void faster than any of them could fly. They were left floating amidst the wreckage of battle.

--------------------------------

[ 1] Morier scored a critical threat, rolled a critical threat to confirm the first critical, rolled a third critical threat to confirm the second threat, and the last roll was a hit (not a threat). But a triple crit is enough to trigger my instant kill rule. And so he did.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #466] Searching for Solace

"The ship," the mage said again and Grandfather Plaque sailed over to look into Saelus' face.

In a most bewildered voice the construct asked, "Certainly you don't mean for them to return?"

"I am loath to let a ship like that get away," the colonel explained. "It is a good opportunity for us."

"They are UMBER HULKS!" Grandfather Plaque countered, gnashing his stone teeth against each other as he spoke. "Not to mention that we are outnumbered and that ship was launching the most unfavorable green substance." He scrunched up his nose in distaste as he looked at the drying balls of goo floating nearby.

"They weren't all umber hulks," Morier said and launched himself in the direction of the ship. Grandfather Plaque again opened his mouth to protest that course, but it became apparent that the eldritch warrior was only approaching some debris left in the ship's wake, not seeking the ship itself. He drew up beside a small object that at first looked like a bundle of sticks, but at the others floated nearer, its true nature presented itself. It was an arachnoid corpse, frozen to death in Morier's initial Ice Storm.

The spiderlike thing had a long, flexible neck and an eel-like head with tiny, needle-sharp teeth. Its body was covered with stiff hair, dyed in complex designs, and it wore a light leather harness from which depended a small crossbow and quiver of bolts. Its small black eyes stared at them lifelessly, but still seemed to convey a sense of rapacious cruelty even in death.

"What is it?" Morier asked, prodding the body with Ravager.

"I don't know," admitted Saelus as he came closer for a better look.

"Nor do I," Grandfather Plaque said.

"Well judging by the gear its carrying and the design of that ship, I'd wager that it was in command of the umber hulks," the albino said as he sheathed his sword.

"A reasonable assumption," Saelus agreed as he looked at the thing's vicious head.

"I still think we are far better off floating along on our own," Grandfather Plaque announced.

"I agree," Morier said and Saelus looked up.

"I suggest we gather all this so, at least in some way, we have something out of this combat other than the loss of an ally," Saelus said gravely looking at Noxin with the respect he deserved as a great warrior.

Morier drifted toward the barbarian's ripped and bloodied corpse and mentally added another mark to the tally of companions who had died at his side. He could undo this, he sensed. The power now pulsed within him to draw Noxin's soul back from Myrkuhl's domain if he chose and the temptation to do so was very strong; they needed all the help they could get after all. But he resisted the desire. It would be taking an action he believed should be reserved for the gods... or at the very least someone who had a greater spiritual connection to a god than he did as an Eldritch Warrior.

Yes, he had the ability but the ability wasn't truly his, he knew. He was merely a vessel for the power. It was temporarily bestowed on him and using it to reincarnate Noxin would, he decided, be a misuse of that power.

Sighing, he took the barbarian's greathammer and eased it into Huzair's Valiant Vessel bag. HIS, Valiant Vessel bag, he corrected. It didn't truly belong to Huzair any more than the hammer still belonged to Noxin. Morier felt a weight settle uncomfortably on his shoulders as he thought about events and his place within them.

"Morier, you might want us to make use of the glasses he had," Saelus said suddenly. He indicated the goggles worn high on Noxin's forehead. "The clearing of sight does add significantly to the view you get when wearing the glasses." Morier looked at the goggles and stripped them from the half-giant's body.

He looked sadly at them and muttered to himself, "I don't feel like I've seen clearly in a while now."

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #467] Rescue Party?

They rested, despite Saelus' protests. "I still say we should press our advantage," he asserted. "A ship without most of its crew won't go far." Neither Grandfather Plaque nor Morier had much inclination to seek further battle, however and so they rested.

There was no convenient ground nearby so they were forced to lash the umber hulks together into a rough approximation of terra firma. The amalgamation was bizarre and more than a little grisly considering that Noxin's remains were part of their improvised island, but pragmatism won out over sentiment.

Morier used his newfound powers to heal the worst of the colonel's injuries and then Saelus settled in with the spellbook he'd gotten from Huzair's Haversack. After a while, he paused long enough to scratch out a rough magical formula onto the back of a nearby umber hulk.

"By the way, Morier, I have an idea that could use Noxin as the host for a spell of creation," he observed, tapping out the ritual he'd outlined on the hulk's carapace. "So that we might have a companion of sorts that is able to fight for us. But it does probably then need that hammer to wield." He then pointed at the Valiant Vessel bag into which Morier had placed Noxin's magical gear. Morier looked over at the wizard's writing and, while he couldn't understand all of it, he saw that it was far from complete, having just the barest suggestion of how such a thing might be accomplished in theoretical terms.

"I'm laying no claim to the weapon, Saelus," the albino said. "It's just too big to carry any other way." The war mage nodded and went back to flipping through his new spellbook to see if he could find an Identify spell in its pages.

Morier began examining the potions.

A few minutes later, Saelus closed the book with a frustrated sigh and said, "I think the other spellbook contains an Identify spell, and unless you're capable of casting such an incantation, I need access to that spell." Morier looked up at him and put the stopper back into the potion vial he was examining.

"I'll get it," he said, getting to his feet. He handed the mage a clutch of potion bottles. "Take a look at these three and see if you can tell what they are. I deduced that the other one's a Potion of Invisibility."

"That will come in handy," Colonel Saelus said, accepting the other three vials.

Morier soon had recovered the second spellbook from the Handy Haversack and he waited for Saelus to examine the potions. The mage was only able to identify one with any certainty: a Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds. The other two vials were quite similar, but there were enough differences that he wasn't comfortable saying they were all Cure potions.

Saelus took the second book, black-bound and adorned with shiny metal studs, and settled in with it while Morier brooded with his thoughts and Grandfather Plaque circled their "island" on watch duty but growing more and more enamored with his freedom on the astral plane.

"Gah!" Colonel Saelus growled snapping the spellbook shut some time later. "I can't make heads or tails of this encoding matrix! I can barely make sense of the handwriting! The formula is idiosyncratic and needlessly grandiose!"

"That sounds like Huzair," Morier said, smiling wistfully at the thought that the wizard was managing to annoy folks even after his death. Huzair would be proud of himself if he only knew.

"I can't learn this spell," Saelus muttered bitterly. "Not now anyway." Morier stood up and walked over to the mage, extending his hand for the spellbook.

"Well, the items aren't going anywhere," he said, patting the Haversack at his side. "And neither are we unless we get moving."

They unlashed their "island" and repackaged the corpses so that Saelus and Morier could each tow some of the bodies; Saelus had an idea of making suits of hide armor from the umber hulks and since the bodies did not decay on the astral plane there was no hurry in shelling them.

With no indication of a direction to head, they followed the path of the fleeing spider ship. Contrary to Grandfather Plaque's very vocal protests.

Saelus quietly suggested to Morier that they return the construct to the Handy Haversack in order to have some peace and quiet.

This time when the ship approached, they did not see it until they heard the cry of "Ahoy!"

They turned to see what looked like a narrow longboat approaching from behind them at an oblique angle. It was close enough for them to see that a bearded human dressed in robes stood at the fore, his hands hovering over a massive crystal embedded in the bow. Light from the crystal washed over him and his companions, four tall, skeletally-thin humanoids with jaundiced flesh bearing a variety of large, bladed weapons stowed about their person.

Morier recognized them from Huzair's description of his brief time on the astral plane. "Githyanki," he said to Saelus.

"Ahoy!" the human shouted again. "Do you require assistance?"

Last edited:

Morier recognized them from Huzair's description of his brief time on the astral plane. "Githyanki," he said to Saelus.

"Ahoy!" the human shouted again. "Do you require assistance?"

Yes, the Githyanki are widely regarded as helpful and gregarious throughout the known planes. In fact they're downright angelic. :devil:

Jon Potter

First Post
Yes, the Githyanki are widely regarded as helpful and gregarious throughout the known planes. In fact they're downright angelic. :devil:

Ah, the beauty of no meta-gaming and skill ranks in Knowledge (the planes) of 0. It's a beautiful thing.

I did change the githyanki slightly to make their society Lawful (sort of like Star Trek Klingons), but other than that they are what they are.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #469] Remember Me?

"I see none of us who needs assistance," Saelus said with a nod to the bearded human. The war mage did not want to show any form of weakness in front of an unknown race... particularly not one that carried so many greatswords and halbards. "Though a question comes to mind: have you seen a spidership come by?"

"A spidership?" the robbed man said as he maneuvered the ship closer to Morier and Saelus through some inexplicable means. "A neogi vessel?" he asked and the githyanki in the boat seemed to grow suddenly agitated. Saelus merely pointed at the dead umber hulks.

"We fought off the away team, but the ship got away, unfortunately," he said as if it were all in a day's work. The boatman stepped away from the crystal and put a foot up on his boat's gunwale. He leaned on his knee and peered at the detritus of lashed bodies. His eyebrows went up.

"Just the two of you?" he asked, clearly surprised. Grandfather Plaque shot upward and closer to the man.

"Two?!?" the stone face said irritably. "I helped!" The boatman drew back in surprise from the flying construct and Morier saw several of the githyanki tighten grips on their weapons.

"Yes!" Morier jumped in. "Grandfather Plaque was instrumental in our victory." The boatman nodded.

"Even so... three against a neogi vessel and their slaves," he said and whistled appreciatively. "No mean feat there. You are clearly not men... or constructs... to be trifled with." The albino nodded.

"And how is it that you've crossed our path?" he asked and the man stepped back from the gunwale and gestured around at the astral expanse.

"Salvage!" he said with pride. "Lots of stuff gets lost in the astral sea... some fool puts a portable hole inside a bag of holding... an archmage breaks a staff... You'd be surprised what ends up just drifting out here."

Morier glanced at Saelus and Grandfather Plaque and decided that he probably wouldn't be all that surprised, really.

"So you and your crew fly around looking for lost junk?" Saelus asked and the boatman chuckled.

"It's not all junk, my friend," the bearded man said. "Most of it is magical gear, truth be told. And I'm not talking about potions and scrolls, either. I'm talking the good stuff! Rods, amulets, cloaks... Why Gisir Okemocik has an entire wall decorated just with weapons that folks have recovered from the void and brought to Akiv-tchai over the years."

"Akiv-tchai?" Morier asked. "Where's that..." He paused realizing that he'd never learned the man's name. The boatman smiled and bowed slightly.

"I am Olimir Frisig," he said. "And Akiv-tchai is a githyanki trading outpost... well, really it's THE githyanki trading outpost, at least the only one this close to the Chain of Tears."

"The Chain of Tears?" Saelus asked and Olimir shook his head, bemused.

"You folks are new to the astral, aren't you?" he asked. "The Chain of Tears is Buomman territory. It's a bunch of floating rocks mainly. The githyanki go in there looking for driftmetal every now and again, until the Buommans chase them out. It's not worth the trouble if you ask me."

"Now umber hulk carcasses..." Olimir added, angling his head at their burden. "Those could fetch a tidy sum at Akiv-tchai... if you were looking to unload them, I mean. I'm heading back that way... I'd be happy to give you a tow."

"I am right to assume the towing would not be for free," Saelus asked. "After all, you're a business man and I don't think you would be going the same way for free, no?" Olimir smiled.

"In truth, I am going that way. On the astral sea there are many directions to head, but not many places to go," he admitted. "But yes, a small travel fee would be appropriate, I think. Say... 10% of the profit from your sale of the umber hulk corpses?" The boatman put his foot back on the gunwale and leaned over the side to nod at the two companions. Morier nodded back.

"We'd be happy to pay you a percentage of whatever we can barter for their sale in exchange for the ride," the albino said, looking to Saelus. The war wizard regarded Morier with a strange expression that was obscured by the Eyes of the Eagle that he wore. "What's a fair price, Saelus?"

Saelus looked as if in thought. He took the glasses off for a second and thoughtfully worked his temples, then he said, "I think 6% would be more then enough." With that he extended his hand to indicate he was haggling and expected a slap on his hand from the boatman with a counter offer as he'd seen done in certain bazaars in Elcaden. Instead, Olimir bent low and grasped his hand in a firm shake.

"Done!" he said. "Attach your ropes to the stern and we'll be on our way. It shouldn't take long, but I must concentrate to pilot the ship."

After some time, they reached Akiv-tchai. The outpost was built in, and projecting out from, a roughly spherical piece of astral debris they judged to be 200 feet or so in diameter. Four towers jutted out from the central section at roughly symmetrical angles while a fifth projection, longer and thicker than the towers, was topped by a bulbous sphere with four smaller towers jutting out near the edges of a large set of double doors — the only apparent route by which to enter the complex. And it was toward this that Olimir guided the longboat.

Without the largest of the projections, the outpost closely resembled a jack, of the sort used in the “ball and jacks” game played by children on Orune. But a sinister jack, to be sure, decorated everywhere with iron spikes and riveted metal plates.

As their boat neared the double doors, Olimir slowed its progress and two of the githyanki flew from the ship to the portal and, heaving mightily, pushed the valves open so that the dimly-lit interior of the stone sphere became visible, lit dimly by Everburning Torches. Their flickering light illuminated several mooring platforms that jutted from the far side of the hollow sphere, pointing like wooden fingers toward the huge double doors. There was another ship docked at a far platform, but Olimir deftly steered their boat toward one of the center docks. The other pair of githyanki grabbed mooring lines and secured the ship.

"Welcome to Akiv-tchai," Olimir said as he turned from the crystal and stretched his back.

This chamber was spherical, about 100 feet in diameter and decorated everywhere with reliefs of githyanki warriors and huge fire-breathing dragons laying waste to strange humanoids with heads that looked entirely like octopi. The large set of double doors thudded closed behind them on the outside wall as the first pair of githyanki moved to rejoin them. A smaller set of double doors were on the opposite wall evidently leading deeper into the outpost. Four 10-foot-wide passages lead away from the sphere, each of them a 30-foot-long corridor down which the silvery light of the astral plane flickered. Judging by their placement around the place, Saelus imagined that they were actually the inside of the smaller towers they had seen when approaching the place.

"It seems awfully empty for a trading outpost," Grandfather Plaque asserted as he floated around.

"Don't worry," Olimir said. "I sent word ahead that we'd be arriving."

As if on cue, there came a loud clunk from the double doors at the front of the chamber as a bar was drawn away. Then they opened and a squad of githyanki floated into the room in a tight, regimented formation. They bristled with weapons and wore baroque armor that glittered with filigree in the light from the Everburning Torches. They immediately spread out into a loose cluster as a pair of githyanki flew out, their armor slightly more elaborate than the others. They were followed by a third whose armor was more impressive yet, and it became apparent at once that he was in charge of this group. He sneered imperiously at Olimir and his passengers.

"Wait here," the boatman said to Saelus and Morier. "There are some protocols that need to be followed." He favored them with a thin smile and drifted toward the cloud of grim-faced githyanki. But instead of speaking with their leader he simply joined their ranks and smiled back at Saelus and Morier once more.

"Well, Morier," a voice said from the rear of the group, "We meet again." A figure was there and he moved forward as the githyanki parted to make room. He was a man dressed in black with a white goatee and he bore a staff with a loupe of gold at its apex.

"Dr. Akerman?" Morier sputtered, incredulous.

"Indeed," the loremaster said, grinning. "And I believe you have something that I want."

Where is the cavalry?

I am wondering when the new PC,s will show up.

I was thinking they would have gotten together before that darned spider ship turned up

But still you stretch it out so painfully

It seem at this point if Morier dies it would essential be a TPK
Not literally but in essence.

Jon Potter

First Post
Where is the cavalry?

I am wondering when the new PC,s will show up.

I was thinking they would have gotten together before that darned spider ship turned up

But still you stretch it out so painfully

It seem at this point if Morier dies it would essential be a TPK
Not literally but in essence.

Well, I've messed about with the timeline a bit in order to keep things interesting for the story hour readers (or 'painful' as you so aptly put it). There's actually a fair bit more adventure with the cavalry before any survivors meet up. I wanted to get to the dramatic reappearance of Dr. Akerman before I went back to the other side, but that's next on my posting agenda.

Remove ads