• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reaper Minis?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
While I LOVE Reaper's sculpts, I just don't have time to paint them.

While just yesterday, I received 30+ prepainted plastic minis ordered from a secondary market source. They were all minis I needed quick, they looked great, and they cost me less than $50.

Also, the translucent plastic minis (Fire elementals, Ghosts, etc.) look awesome.

But since the price of rares are usually so high, I got with Reaper if I need one bad enough. I hate buying random boxes hoping to get lucky, and I ain't paying $20 for a mind flayer.

bento

Explorer
Prices at Reaper have gone up twice in the past year, due to the high demand for tin from China.

While I can't speak as an insider, Reaper has the appearance of continuing to do well as a company, having the money to develop their new plastic product line, introduce a new "modern" line of figures, and hosting their fifth "Reapercon" last month. They have two skirmish games, CAV and Warlord, that they continue to produce new figures.

As for the hobby, there are many people who enjoy painting metal figures. Whether buying or painting metal minis fit into your life/game is up to you, but for many folks, there is plenty of enjoyment gained from the craft.

Dragon Snack

First Post
MerricB said:
(I note in passing the lack of choice in Reaper's prepainted plastics, even after 10 months. I think there's something like 12-15 available in total!)
One of the problems they have is that they UNDERestimated how well the non-random minis would sell and have had to reorder the first release at least twice...

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Storminator said:
When house shopping we rejected many, many houses for insufficient gaming space. :D

Not to derail the subject too much, but this was also a factor when we bought our house ;) .

Oh, and I really like the convenience of pre-painted minis. However, I usually paint a few metal minis of my players PCs.

Around here, metal minis don't sell too well. There's this drug store that has some hobby stuff in the basement. I swear some of the metal minis have been hanging on it's shelves for 10 years.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads