D&D 5E Reasons Why My Interest in 5e is Waning

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
I wish you and others that feel the same way good luck finding something that fits your needs better.

For me and my group none of these five points are a problem, so we are good with 5e.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
For me it is the lack of adventures. For me, Ymmv, having to look at every monster and piece of treasure in an lod adventure is not all that fun for prep, so lots of 2e pdfs really don't thrill me. That said, it isn't impacting me a lot, just some. Hopefully this will change before it really matters to me.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
He isn't saying the game isn't fun, just that it doesn't keep him interested because his attention isn't stimulated.

This sort of post will happen more and more this year.

Expect D&D to slip down in iCv2's ranking of RPG, after the high of the last quarter of 2014.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Well, I think you've brought up a lot of points discussed in length here on EnWorld. I will share my thoughts (as an aside, that font size is horrible for us grognards to read...).

5) Serious Lack of Digital Tools - Frankly, I have ditched the laptop and setup at the game table and banned all electronic devices from the table. last session was fantastic! I think they would be helpful during prep, but the game is not complicated IMHO, so manual prep is somewhat fast.

4) No PDFs (except for the basic game) - See above. Again, it could be useful during prep but I wouldn't use them at the table anyways.

3) Nothing Much to Look Forward To/Lack of Product Diversity - I think there is a lot of whining about the release schedule that is largely unwarranted. Sure, you may want lots of products but the game itself is very playable. Also, your focus may be different. The focus for the company seems to be PLAYING the game. Getting new DMs, finding new players, getting people to the table. I'm sure there will be more support for creating in the future. Instead of worrying about new releases, maybe just focus on running a game?

Also, I believe a lot of OSR stuff plugs right in. Take a look at Adventurer, Conqueror, King or Spears of the Dawn or Arrows of Indra or Vornheim or Lamentations of the Flame Princess or... Lots of stuff can be easily borrowed and touched up to work in 5e.

2) The Waiting. As a publisher you should not be encouraging the childish whinging that hobbyists are prone to. This is squarely a FIRST WORLD problem of the highest (lowest?) order! :) Take a deep breath. Go read some OSR material. Make up some fun adventures for a group (FLGS? Youngsters out there looking to get started?). Before you know it, there will be more STUFF for you to buy and stack on your bookshelf.

1) No OGL (or some kind of compatible license). I too worry about this to some extent. However, it's not the first game I've liked and not had a real ability to create for. With the stuff people are doing for the OSR, I don't see why you can just build compatible material using the existing OGL library. You could model the approach of publishers already dipping their toes in the water.

You could also consider making a "house system" and then pointing out the parts in your publications you feel are useful regardless of system. I own a PILE of GURPS books and don't play GURPS. I still use them all the time. :)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
For me it is the lack of adventures. For me, Ymmv, having to look at every monster and piece of treasure in an lod adventure is not all that fun for prep, so lots of 2e pdfs really don't thrill me. That said, it isn't impacting me a lot, just some. Hopefully this will change before it really matters to me.

I can understand this POV. But, it does not match my experience per se. Our DM had to quit due to other priorities, so I took over our HotDQ campaign. We were off on a side quest, so I continued that and have hooks set up to bring the party back into HotDQ at the appropriate time. The party is currently in the Ruins of Undermountain, trying to acquire some specific magic items. It took very little effort to not use the monsters in that module and use ones from the Monster Manual instead. Course for those monsters in that module that are also in the Monster Manual, I made zero changes except maybe to increase the number of foes in a few cases.

pogre

Legend
I would love to see an OGL, but otherwise I differ in my outlook. I don't mind a finite set of rules at all. I played 1st ed. WFRP for years when it was "dead". From my point of view it was liberating as a G.M., not limiting. If they stated that they were pretty much done with rule books I would be all for it.

I realize I am probably very much the minority with these views. Just not a splat book guy at all.

Honestly, if those things are deal breakers for you then I don't know what to tell you except good luck in your future gaming. I hope you enjoy Pathfinder, because that is pretty much the only game system I can think of that meets your criteria.

I agree that digital tools would be nice. Lots of 3rd party products would be nice. Electronic versions of WotC products would be nice. But do the lack of these things make the game less fun for me? Not at all. At the risk of going on an old guy rant I played tons of D&D as a kid back in the 80's with things called paper and pencils, and it was a blast. No PDFs, no electronic tools, to third party products, and we knew something was being released when we saw it on the shelf at the FLGS (we also walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways ... but I digress).

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Wait. So, you're a publisher who makes Pathfinder products, and so we should take your problems with 5e seriously?

Yes. I stopped playing Pathfinder over a year ago. Our first two Deadly Delves adventures were originally written for 5e, using the playtest rules. We went forward for a Pathfinder and 13th Age version of them because there is no 5e license. If some type of compatible license does emerge in the near future, we plan to publish those adventures for the game. But a lack of a license and all other other points I mentioned has my enthusiasm waned. Plus, we are wondering how many others are seeing their enthusiasm wane. I know I am not the only one. Heck, I know I am not the only one in my area. So, I am talking about it in the hopes that something will change.

jgsugden

Legend
Let me put it this way: At the core, 5E is AD&D with better math. AD&D was released in the 70s and people played (and enjoyed) thousands of hours of role playing with nothing more than friends, three books, dice, paper and pencils. If you feel you're missing out on something from D&D because there is not a constant influx of new books, digital tools, etc... - I think you're kind of right. You're missing something, but it may not be what you think it is. Slow down and appreciate the materials that have been released. If you play a character 8 hours a week and follow the experience point and encounter guidance in the books, I think it'll take you at least 6 months (and probably more like 12) to advance from level 1 to 20. I'm betting that each of us can find at least 4 or 5 character builds in the 5E PHB that would interest us. That is at least 2 years - and probably more like 5+ years of pleasure we can derive from the released materials if we play religiously.

Each edition of D&D has sold us more and more on this idea that we need a constant influx of materials. If you pay attention to the percentage of the released materials you actually used in each edition, you'll discover that you paid a lot of money (or stole a lot of stuff) that never saw use. Personally, I'm glad they've slowed things down and are not wringing out every coin they can get.

GlassJaw

Hero
Disagree entirely. I love that everything I need is in 3 books.

WotC's track record with electronic products is abysmal so I don't even factor that into my decision. In fact, I'd prefer they spend their resources elsewhere or let 3rd-parties/fans make the apps they need.

A pdf of the books would be nice but again, it's not a factor for me. I suspect they will release a subscription service down the road for updated pdfs, which I am vehemently opposed to.

Some extra class path or background options would be nice but I'm fine with waiting. There are a TON of character options in the PHB. I like the small "footprint" of 5E so far.

Remove ads