D&D 5E Recommend me a 5e campaign book

Kurotowa

Legend
I've heard this, too, but I can't recommend Tyranny of Dragons (Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat) to someone just getting into the game. It needs a lot of tweaking.

"Needs a lot of tweaking" is exactly the reputation I remembered for those two, that's what I want to avoid. Thank you.

I'd recommend ToA either way as just being a solid adventure top to bottom. I loved it. Furthermore, there's some excellent supplementary material on DMsGuild to really flesh it out.

How much of ToA is in the actual tomb? My group gets bored with dungeon crawls pretty quickly, so I probably don't want to throw the granddaddy of killer dungeons at them.

In general, thank you for the replies. Lost Mines is off the list because, after refreshing my memory, my group already ran it when it and 5e were new. Neither I nor they are new to the game, what's new is me taking a turn in the DM seat. Curse of Strahd is also out for the same reason.

Right now I'm still leaning heavily towards going with Ghosts of Saltmarsh set in Eberron. The fact that it has level gaps is noted, but as people have pointed out there's both Yawning Portal and DM's Guild to help fill those in.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
How much of ToA is in the actual tomb? My group gets bored with dungeon crawls pretty quickly, so I probably don't want to throw the granddaddy of killer dungeons at them.

Only the tail-end of ToA is actually in a tomb. The beginning is set in Port Nyanzaru, the bulk is set in the jungles of Chult. There are loads of locations detailed there, and only the tomb itself is really a dungeon. You could honestly run the thing without the tomb and it'd still be great.

Nebulous

Legend
Only the tail-end of ToA is actually in a tomb. The beginning is set in Port Nyanzaru, the bulk is set in the jungles of Chult. There are loads of locations detailed there, and only the tomb itself is really a dungeon. You could honestly run the thing without the tomb and it'd still be great.

Exactly. You can run all of Port Nyanzaru, the jungles, the side quests, Omu and Temple of the Night Serpent and skip the Tomb completely and still have a very satisfying campaign.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Yeah, I'm reading through ToA now so i can run it in a few months, and it seems relatively modular.

Yeah, one of its strengths is that you don't have to do events in a certain order (it doesn't even define any organization for events in the jungle), so very modular.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
"Needs a lot of tweaking" is exactly the reputation I remembered for those two, that's what I want to avoid. Thank you.
If/when you do get around to Tyranny of Dragons, I recommend getting the new one-volume version rather than the original two books. That smooths out most of the balance issues, at least. But I agree with those who say not to make it your first foray into 5E.

Does anyone have thoughts on The Dragon of Icespire Peak?

Stormonu

Legend
I’ll echo Mines of Phandelver, it’s excellent and a good mix of locations and encounters.

Also, Curse of Strahd is easily recommendable, but I have a strong Ravenloft bias.

I am currently running Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and it has a strong beginning. I have found the Danger At Dunwater section difficult to handle however, as a party on its toes can easily render it mostly irrelevant - my group, after an initial blunder reduced the section to less than 30 minutes of play (Though I feel they did some excellent role play).

Remove ads