Recommend Nintendo Switch games to play with remote friends

Janx

Hero
My meatworld friends have Switch Lites. We've ordered Switch Lites. We are steps away from playing games with friends again, remotely.

Along with Mario Kart, we're looking for games (RPG/dungeon crawl) that specifically can be played with friends (not strangers) across the internet.

Some of the games we've looked at only have local LAN multiplayer. Which isn't COVID friendly. We need to be able to get 3-6 actual friends who stayed home into one game for a night of fun.

So, what do you, my EN friends recommend that might fit the bill.

I am assuming Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and Neverwinter Nights can do this (can somebody confirm)?

From what I've found in looking at candidate titles, it's not always clear on what kind of multiplayer support there is.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
My meatworld friends have Switch Lites. We've ordered Switch Lites. We are steps away from playing games with friends again, remotely.

Along with Mario Kart, we're looking for games (RPG/dungeon crawl) that specifically can be played with friends (not strangers) across the internet.

Some of the games we've looked at only have local LAN multiplayer. Which isn't COVID friendly. We need to be able to get 3-6 actual friends who stayed home into one game for a night of fun.

So, what do you, my EN friends recommend that might fit the bill.

I am assuming Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and Neverwinter Nights can do this (can somebody confirm)?

From what I've found in looking at candidate titles, it's not always clear on what kind of multiplayer support there is.

Both Divinity: Original Sins games are also available for co-op online. If you and your friend are down with first person shooters, the Borderlands games are all on Switch as well at this point, and are basically FPS Diablo.

Super Mario Maker 2.
Worms WMD.
I don't have any friends that will play it with me, but I hear Monopoly works well.
Smash Bros is notoriously inaccurate over the internet. Might be OK for very casual play but should not be taken very seriously.
I've had a number of virtual Jackbox parties during quarantine, but it requires Zoom and a camera pointed at the screen.

Haven't played it yet, but Hell Warders has online co-op. So Does Nine Parchments, which I have played. It's a little repetitive, but looks and sounds gorgeous, and is definitely more fun in multiplayer.

I gave Neverwinter Nights a try on the Switch and found it really painful and headache-inducing to play. Unless you really have a lot of nostalgia for that game, I'd warn against it.

It's not a dungeon crawl, but with 4 players, you could get a team going in Splatoon 2. I absolutely love that game.

Janx

Hero
Thanks for the info thus far.

Played Mario Kart last night. Had three connection drops, but otherwise everybody had fun. game launching seemed easy, though I'm guessing the switch has no voice chat support because my friend used Google Meet (I joined my friend's family MK game last night).

Thanks for the heads up on Neverwinter. It looked enticing because it's D&D, but I figure some of the friend batch is more casual than that.

The wife is leaning toward Diablo 3 or Minecraft Dungeons. The latter we've already done on xbox and the former is priced right for multiple copies but has lighter game play (and only 3-6 hours worth of content).

Remove ads