OSR Recommendations for four hour adventure

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hopefully I'll be DMing some four hour sessions at a convention. Any good recommendations for adventures that would fit that window? Don't have to be first level.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
so it's not about just adventures that flow well for sessions that last four hours - the adventure has to be "completed" in one such session, correct?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
There's the adventure packets for Beyond the Wall and Other Adventure, each one is a short adventure and needs no prep because the motivations of the various NPC and the resolutions of the adventure are rolled when the PC create their characters with their playbook.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hopefully I'll be DMing some four hour sessions at a convention. Any good recommendations for adventures that would fit that window? Don't have to be first level.
The Twilight Game in Galder's Gazetteer is a great 5th level one-shot. Haven't run it yet, but been doing more one-shots recently, and I'm active on their Discord, and between my read and what I'm hearing, it runs great in about four hours.

My go-to one-shot used to be my conversion of an old DUNGEON adventure, which I reworked/renamed Hunt for the Archdruid as a 3rd level one-shot. I've run it twice (well two and a half times), and as long as you keep the pacing snappy it fits within 4 hours just fine.

I recently ran my conversion of an old Chris Perkins' adventure, "A Wizard's Fate" (DUNGEON 37), and we ran out our 3-hour clock in the dungeon, but my guesstimate was that if we had another hour, and I'd exercised a bit of a stronger hand with framing the scene, that it would have fit in 4 hours just fine. Also, I ran it online, and games tend to be a bit slower when played online, at least IME.

I've also been wanting to try out Cat and Mouse from Kobold Press. It is a 1st level adventure with a nice little story with a funnel structure – narrow at the beginning, but opening up to more choice towards the end – and there are three parts (which always translates well to running a one-shot. However, as much as I like it, I think it would take some work to streamline it for a 4 hour one-shot session.

Planning one running another old Chris Perkins adventure, Redcap's Rampage, online as a one-shot in September. Like most of the DUNGEON adventures, it's requiring a pretty strong editing hand to conform to a one-shot format (and I run just 3 hour games when running online). Generally, I'm noticing that dungeons as "room-by-room exploration" elements will run out the clock like nobody's business, so I'm mostly reinterpreting the ruins at the end as simply the terrain of a final fight (if it comes to that).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases