Recommended a hard-science space RPG

I feel the need for the sci-fi campaign next, but I don't want a 'build your own galaxy' ruleset.

I would like a defined setting, and rules that lead a lot closer to reality than fantasy. Definitely no magic.

Looking for a Firefly (TV series) feel.

Coriolis, Alien RPG, GURPS, and Mothership RPG are out, already looked at them.

EDIT:
You know, I realize that I have gotten things backwards:

I need to make a list of sci-fi games supported by Roll20, and review those. It wouldn't help to get pointed to the perfect game, only to find out Roll20 doesn't support it.

Old habits get in the way.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:

Mezuka

Hero
Cypher System with The Stars are Fire.

A review of the setting book:

Been playing Traveller. We've finished the Fall of Tinath starter campaign and moved onto basically being freelancers between three fleets.

Character creation is a fun mini-game by itself, and also incentivizes players working on ways they know each other before the game starts. For instance, my character was born to space scavengers, and along the way to becoming a Senior Scout, he helped one PC heist a megacorp's algae technology (gaining more slugthrower skills) and another PC helped him 'space' a rival game on a derelict ship (gaining Remote Ops for a skill). The gunplay in combat is very deadly if you're not careful. I had rolled that I got my own scout ship from the Scout Service and we've been adventuring from that - we just hauled in enough money to buy an AI to 'crew' the ship (the AI will count as five crewmembers spread out amongst Pilot, Gunner and (Sensors I think?)

Remove ads