D&D 5E Recommended one-shot adventure as an anniversary game?

R_J_K75

Legend
If you are up for a little updating I would recommend. Doom of Daggerdale (AD&D) - great little adventure about people in a town that are falling into sleep they can’t wake from.

It has nostalgia feel but has enough going on that is plays more modern.

I ran this in the mid 90s. I cant say I remember it sticking out as great but then again we were new to the Realms and just recently had started the group and I think we got side tracked and never finished the module. I think we were finding our footing so it may have been a better adventure had I had a little more experience at the time.

I believe this is the one that has Zhehntilar pit figthers at the Rusty Nail. I made the mistake of giving one of the players rings of invisibility so the one without one entered the pit fight while the one would go invisible and sucker punch their opponent. It was a fun combat because then initiative wasnt cyclic as it is now

R_J_K75

Legend
It has a good combination of dungeons, town interactions, good NPCs. If you enjoyed it, you could also follow up with the Sword of the Dales Trilogy that is located in the same town.

We actually ran these before Doom of Daggerdale and they were lots of fun. IIRC the Sword of the Dales is based out of Shadowdale. I remeber alot of NPCs getting pants once they got ahold of the Sword of the Dales.

aco175

Legend
Depends on how long you have to play. I would want a dragon and as some point level the PCs to 2nd level. I would also try to get the group something to remember it by like this healing potion vial. It would be cool when the NPC gives everyone one when starting their quest.
1593108448851.png

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Keep on the Borderlands but shuffle the Caves a bit so it's not true that "easy" = "near the bottom / front".

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
Do you remember your first adventure? Maybe rerun that with new characters and in 5E.
The first AD&D adventure I ran for my friends was Night Below: An Underdark Campaign. We played it all throughout high school, came back to it after we graduated from college/ or was discharged from the Army/Navy, and it ended at the City of the Glass Pool in a very controversial TPK on our 9th anniversary game session.

A player in my group ran a one-session game taking place years after the TPK, but it never went beyond that. Sadly, my players have no desire to return to that setting.

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
B2. Need I say more?
I actually ran this in college for my group (minus our friends who were stationed overseas) when Wizards of the Coast released it for 2e as Return to the Keep on the Borderlands. We had a TON of fun with that module and had some very memorable moments in the caves.

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
Lost mine of phandelver is good for new players and is relativly short but for just one session i would t know any
Half of my group have already played this. We really wanted to get back into D&D after leaving 4e for Pathfinder and we dove right into this one as soon as it came out.

Remove ads