D&D 5E Recreating High-level Pathfinder characters in 5e

Last saturday, players of the current Planescape campaign I'm running with Pathfinder asked about the posibility of changing over to 5e. I told them that, even though I really like 5e, it might prove to be complicated (they are all 16th level) and that their characters might have to endure severe changes.

So we struck a deal.

Since we won't be playing until March due to me taking summer vacations, they want to try out and recreate their characters using 5e. Not conversion, since they are aware a lot of the stuff is different or just unavailable (particularly all the feats and spells from non-core books like the APG, UC, and UM), but trying to get the closest to the concept. Then we'll play a "mini spin-off" session with those characters and see what they like best.

Do you guys have any experience doing something like this between PF and D&D 5e? I've been DMing 5e for a short while, so I'm still a bit unsure of the caveats and posibilities (got all the books, but still haven't read the DMG in detail).

For context, these are the characters:

-Cassius, Human Rogue 16
-Seyfos, Human Sorcerer 16 (Red Dragon Bloodline)
-Celestia, Aasimar Priestess 16 (Healing and Protection spheres)
-Noak, Earth Genasi Fighter 16 (re-skinned Oread from the ARG)
-Kheldric, Human Sorcerer 10/Eldritch Knight 6 (Arcane Bloodline)
-Vander, Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 6/Arcane Archer 3

The last guy is the only one who approached his character with an optimized build in mind. Everyone else just picked up stuff that fitted the background, so they are the most flexible in terms of remaking stuff.

Thanks beforehand!

Remathilis

Legend
Last saturday, players of the current Planescape campaign I'm running with Pathfinder asked about the posibility of changing over to 5e. I told them that, even though I really like 5e, it might prove to be complicated (they are all 16th level) and that their characters might have to endure severe changes.

So we struck a deal.

Since we won't be playing until March due to me taking summer vacations, they want to try out and recreate their characters using 5e. Not conversion, since they are aware a lot of the stuff is different or just unavailable (particularly all the feats and spells from non-core books like the APG, UC, and UM), but trying to get the closest to the concept. Then we'll play a "mini spin-off" session with those characters and see what they like best.

Do you guys have any experience doing something like this between PF and D&D 5e? I've been DMing 5e for a short while, so I'm still a bit unsure of the caveats and posibilities (got all the books, but still haven't read the DMG in detail).

For context, these are the characters:

-Cassius, Human Rogue 16

The last guy is the only one who approached his character with an optimized build in mind. Everyone else just picked up stuff that fitted the background, so they are the most flexible in terms of remaking stuff.

Thanks beforehand!

Hmmm...

The first problem is that race/class/level doesn't give us enough info. For example, is Cassius a dual-wielder, a trap-finder, or a social rogue? Does he favor a particular weapon or fighting style? Remember, feats can make up a LOT of ground between conversion.

A while back, I started working on a conversion guide. This was what I had:

My conversion notes said:
Ability Scores
Ability scores SHOULD be about the same: any ability score higher than 20 caps at 20.
Use the PF racial bumps (most of them map to at least one of the 5e subrace options, minus the penalty).
If a PC got a bonus from leveling (at 4th, 8th etc) let them keep that, as long as it doesn’t go beyond 20.

Races
The core races should be the same, but you'll need to pick a subrace for some of them.
Drow are equal to Elf (dark) subrace, tieflings should likewise use the PHB. Aasimar is in the DMG> Most other races will need converting (the tiefling could be a good model for other planar races).
If a race had alternate racial traits, he loses them.
Classes
The core classes should convert to the PHB versions. They lose all former abilities but gain all the new ones in their stead.
If you have levels in multiple classes, keep them the same (so a rogue2/fighter5 would remain the same mix). Ignore the multiclass requirements for conversion.
Prestige classes should be dropped. Give your characters levels in a core class roughly equal to the closest to it.
Pathfinder Prestige Class D&D Conversion
Arcane Archer Fighter (Eldritch Knight) or take Magic Initiate and/or Spell Sniper
Arcane Trickster Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Assassin Rogue (Assassin)
Dragon Disciple Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline)
Duelist Fighter or Rogue with Defensive Duelist Feat
Eldritch Knight Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Loremaster Bard (College of Lore), Wizard (Diviner) or Cleric (Knowledge Domain), Sage Background
Mystic Theurge Split between two caster classes or take Magic Initiate and/or Ritual Caster
Pathfinder Chronicler Bard (College of Lore)
Shadowdancer Monk (Way of Shadow) or Rogue (Thief), Skulker Feat.

Pathfinder Base Class D&D Conversion
Alchemist Wizard (Transmuter) (Use Eldrich Blast Cantrip to simulate bombs)
Cavalier Fighter with Noble Background (Perhaps with Inspiring Leader or Sentinel feats)
Inquisitor Paladin (Oath of Vengeance)
Witch Warlock (or wizard)
Summoner Druid (Circle of Land) OR Wizard (Conjurer)
Oracle Cleric
Gunslinger Fighter. See DMG for Firearm Rules.
Magus Fighter (Eldritch Knight), augment with Multiclassing or Feats
Ninja Rogue (assassin) or Monk (Way of Shadow)
Anti-Paladin Paladin (Blackguard, DMG)

Skills and Backgrounds
Pick a background that best fits your character concept.
Most skills have an analogy with either a tool or skill. You should pick skills you had at least one rank in, up to your maximum (based on class + 2 for background). If you had ranks in a craft skill, you should get proficiency in that artisan's tool. If you have more languages than your background/race normally gives, you gain those as bonus languages. Both of these are one-time conversion gifts that assume you magically spent the downtime to learn them.
Pathfinder Skill D&D Proficiency
Acrobatics Acrobatics (Jump is athletics)
Appraise Intelligence Check
Bluff Deception
Climb Athletics
Craft Proficiency in Artisan’s Tools
Diplomacy Persuasion
Disable Device Proficiency in Thieves Tools
Disguise Proficiency in Disguise Kit OR Deception
Escape Artist Dexterity Check
Fly NA
Handle Animal Animal Handling
Heal Medicine (and Healer Feat)
Intimidate Intimidate
Knowledge (arcana) Arcana
Knowledge (dungeoneering) Intelligence Check or Survival
Knowledge (engineering) Intelligence Check
Knowledge (geography) Nature
Knowledge (history) History
Knowledge (local) History
Knowledge (nature) Nature
Knowledge (nobility) History
Knowledge (planes) Arcana
Knowledge (religion) Religion
Linguistics Proficiency in Forger’s Kit or Linguistics Feat
Perception Perception
Perform Performance, Proficiency in Musical Instrument
Profession NA (a few might become tools)
Ride Animal Handling
Sense Motive Insight
Sleight of Hand Sleight of Hand
Spellcraft Arcana
Stealth Stealth
Survival Survival
Swim Athletics
Use Magic Device NA

Gear
Most mundane gear should convert; bearing in mind some armors have new categorizing. Exotic weapons should convert to the closest analogy (a bastard sword = a longsword, a nunchuku = a club). Double weapons should be treated as a normal TWF combos (double bladed sword = two short swords) re-fluffed if needed.
Magic items will TBD, but the guide should be no more than 1 permanent item per level. No magic items should raise an ability score beyond 20. The DMG will have much more on this.
Redo AC, attacks and saves to use the new proficiency numbers. HP SHOULD convert (ignoring bonus hp for favored class) as most HD map to Pathfinder HD now.
Feats
D&D Feat Pathfinder Feats or Abilities
Alert Alertness, Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge
Athlete Athletic, Fast Climber
Actor Deceitful
Charger NA
Crossbow Expert Rapid Reload
Defensive Duelist Dodge, Canny Defense
Dual Wielder Two Weapon Fighting (Greater/Improved), Two Weapon Defense
Dungeon Delver Trap Sense, Trapfinder
Durable NA
Elemental Adept Elemental Focus
Grappler Improved Grapple
Great Weapon Master Power Attack, Cleave
Healer NA
Heavily Armored Heavy Armor Proficiency
Heavy Armor Master
Inspiring Leader Inspire Heroics
Keen Mind NA
Lightly Armored Light Armor Proficiency
Linguist Linguistics Skill, Cosmopolitan
Lucky NA
Mage Slayer Disruptive, Spellbreaker
Magic Initiate Arcane Talent, Extra Arcana
Martial Adept Improved/Greater Bull Rush, Trip, Overrun
Medium Armor Master Armor Mastery
Mobile Fleet, Mobility, Acrobatic Steps, Light Step
Moderately Armored Medium Armor Proficiency, Shield Proficiency
Mounted Combatant Mounted Combat, Spirited Charge
Observant Alertness
Polearm Master Short Haft
Resilient Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude
Ritual Caster NA
Savage Attacker
Sentinel Strike Back
Sharpshooter Improved Precise Shot, Deadly Aim
Shield Master Shield Master, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Slam
Skilled Skill Focus
Skulker Stealthy, Camouflage, Shadow Strike
Spell Sniper
Tavern Brawler Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple
Tough Toughness
War Caster Combat Casting
Weapon Master Martial Weapon Proficiency

Pickles JG

First Post
-Cassius, Human Rogue 16

These are straight swaps - not sure about Genasi powers but their attributes would be STR & CON or similar

Human Fighter Eldritch Knight 6 Sorcerer 10 or Wizard 10. Wizard may have enough flexibility in 5e to do what he wants to do. Maybe just one level of fighter if he wants full casting power or 3 - but he will be markedly worse at fighting.

Fighter, Eldritch Knight 12 Wizard 4 or 4 more Fighter levels. Or maybe stop with 6 (or 8 or 11) fighter levels like the last guy if he wants more blasting but then they are similar characters.

Probably Ranger 6 wizard 10 would work too, or lots of Ranger & a bit of reskinning. It depends what he want to do but he should easily match his pathfinder caster level

5e will give them more flexibility with their skills & less with feats because there are fewer so there may be a gap if they are looking to do something combo related in Pathfinder. 5e feats are pretty dull mechanically outside fighting ones but can add stacks of character.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I would suggest that the players just embrace 5e completely with this experiment rather than trying to incorporate any Pathfinder specific stuff. If they look through the PHB and try to find what most closely resembles their PF character and go with the 5e version, it will integrate more smoothly with the rest of the 5e trappings (which will make your life easier). If they still have (or can reverse engineer) what their original dice rolls were, then they can build their character completely using the 5e rules for ability score increases. The characters will find that they gain/lose skills, class abilities and such. If they can stomach that, their characters will just be different than they were in PF, it will mesh better with what you need to do as a DM.

I would also suggest that the players try to create their characters as a single class instead of trying to get as much replication as possible by multiclassing. My understanding with multiclassing in 3.5 and Pathfinder is that multiclassing can make characters more powerful. In 5e, most combinations really move characters more towards jack of all trades, master of none. The sorcerer/eldritch knight recommendation depends on what they want out the character. If fighting is more important, get the eldritch knight for the extra attacks. If metamagic is more important, go with the sorcerer. The player probably wants to look at those separately before cutting down on abilities by multiclassing. Similarly, the arcane archer could easily work as either an eldritch knight or ranger. Mixing and matching classes postpones class abilities and ability score improvements/feats.

Overall I would hazard a guess that the characters will be simpler (less mechanically going on) under 5e than pathfinder.

Now for the really difficult part. Magic items are quite different and more rare. +x items range from +1 to +3. A brooch of shielding gives resistance to force damage and immunity to magic missile instead of charges of the shield spell. Bracers of Defense give a +2 to AC if one is not wearing armor or a shield. Wands of healing do not exist (although in my game I did put in wands of healing word and had them follow the mechanics of the 5e wand of the magic missile in terms of charges). Attunement will cut down on the number of magic items your characters can use as they only get to use 3 attunement items. Many, but not all, magic items require attunement. Some characters will find they have to shed some magic items because they have 4 or 5 attunement items. This more than anything may turn out to be a deal breaker for some people to do the conversion.

Last edited:

Thank you very much, guys. I directed my players here so they can check the advice more directly. Much appreciated!

Hmmm...

The first problem is that race/class/level doesn't give us enough info. For example, is Cassius a dual-wielder, a trap-finder, or a social rogue? Does he favor a particular weapon or fighting style? Remember, feats can make up a LOT of ground between conversion.

Oh, yes, my apologies. I didn't want to clutter with too much information. Generally speaking, the characters specialize as follows:

-Cassius: Human Rogue 16. Skill-monkey primarily focused on Bluff, Diplomacy, Stealth, and Use Magic Item. Most of his perks and feats are geared towards improving both his capacity to lie and remaining undetected. Sub-par combat skills focused on hand crossbows. He's the party's face and resource administrator (the phrase "Cassius pays" has become the stapple of all the other characters).

-Seyfos: Human Sorcerer 16, Draconic Bloodline. Metamagic-obsessed, primarily focused on both getting the most out of Form of the Dragon and improving spellcasting both through his metamagic feats and rods. Asides from his beloved Disintegrate, most of his magical repertoire is geared toward mind-control and thought-reading.

-Celestia: Aasimar Priestess of Desna 16. Built both for heavy-duty combat with her two-handed sword and a barrage of healing/protection spells. Almost no offensive spellcasting. Most feats are focused on improving and expanding her Channel Energy perk.

-Noak: Earth Genasi Fighter 16. Entirely dedicated to soaking as much damage as posible, dedicating all his feats and perks to HP, damage reduction, resistances, and shield-based combat.

-Kheldric: Kheldric, Human Sorcerer 10/Eldritch Knight 6, Arcane Bloodline. Meant as a versatile character, taking jobs as off-tank and off-damage (also "off-healer" with his absurd Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, as he claims to be a Priest of Lathander). Feats are a mix of two-handed weapon fighting, resistances, and metamagic. Spell selection divided between direct damage (mostly lightning-related), illusions, and travel/teleportations or multiple sorts.

-Vander: Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 6/Arcane Archer 3. Player used some extremely focused optimization that maximizes damage through shooting arrows enhanced with spells and class features. Mechanically speaking, the character is little else than a bow with legs. Suffers from a severe case of the glass

A while back, I started working on a conversion guide. This was what I had:

Ohh, that's very nice indeed! I see a lot of useful information there. Thank you very much!

These are straight swaps - not sure about Genasi powers but their attributes would be STR & CON or similar

Aye. I thought those should be the easiest to recreate, although in the case of Cassius I'm worried about his dependency on wondrous items to do most of his stuff (his play style relies heavily on utility items to enhance both his skills and survivability).

Fighter, Eldritch Knight 12 Wizard 4 or 4 more Fighter levels. Or maybe stop with 6 (or 8 or 11) fighter levels like the last guy if he wants more blasting but then they are similar characters.

I think the player might want to retain the spontaneous casting perk of the Sorcerer. He's never been a fan of spellbooks. But otherwise, yes, I think that should more or less cover his bases.

Probably Ranger 6 wizard 10 would work too, or lots of Ranger & a bit of reskinning. It depends what he want to do but he should easily match his pathfinder caster level

Hmm, I'll have him check the Ranger and see how we can refluff it to fit with the concept. Might be a more direct route, after all.

5e will give them more flexibility with their skills & less with feats because there are fewer so there may be a gap if they are looking to do something combo related in Pathfinder. 5e feats are pretty dull mechanically outside fighting ones but can add stacks of character.

Yes, I've noticed that. Except for Vander (and to a degree Noak, but that player doesn't really care how exactly he works mechanically so long as he can be the party's meat shield), the characters don't depend on specific mechanical combos to fulfill their concepts. One of the things they really liked about 5e was precisely what you mention, how much character the new rules like Backgrounds add to the game.

I would suggest that the players just embrace 5e completely with this experiment rather than trying to incorporate any Pathfinder specific stuff. If they look through the PHB and try to find what most closely resembles their PF character and go with the 5e version, it will integrate more smoothly with the rest of the 5e trappings (which will make your life easier). If they still have (or can reverse engineer) what their original dice rolls were, then they can build their character completely using the 5e rules for ability score increases. The characters will find that they gain/lose skills, class abilities and such. If they can stomach that, their characters will just be different than they were in PF, it will mesh better with what you need to do as a DM....

I agree. I told them that this wouldn't work if they tried out a direct conversion, but instead would require them to go back to their original concept and see how they can recreate it using 5e. The plan is to use the original stats (we always roll 4d6 drop lowest for initial scores) and see how they scale using 5e's level advancement.

Now for the really difficult part. Magic items are quite different and more rare. +x items range from +1 to +3. A brooch of shielding gives resistance to force damage and immunity to magic missile instead of charges of the shield spell. Bracers of Defense give a +2 to AC if one is not wearing armor or a shield. Wands of healing do not exist (although in my game I did put in wands of healing word and had them follow the mechanics of the 5e wand of the magic missile in terms of charges). Attunement will cut down on the number of magic items your characters can use as they only get to use 3 attunement items. Many, but not all, magic items require attunement. Some characters will find they have to shed some magic items because they have 4 or 5 attunement items. This more than anything may turn out to be a deal breaker for some people to do the conversion.

This is the part that worries me the most. Even though I'm always very stingy when it comes to handing out magic items, this particular campaign began at 15th level and with a more flexible allowance of magic items to reflect their long adventuring careers (plot is that they decided to fund a company in Sigil after years of adventuring together), so to a certain degree they have become reliant on certain items (such as Metamagic Rods for Seyfos, enchanted bows & arrows for Vander, and all sorts of utility items for Cassius. Also dozens of Bags of Holding, which are almost never used to actually store items in them).

I'll have to see how to work that problem, which might alter some parts of their playstyle. Does it break the game too much to hand over some extra magic items/increase attunement slots? Nothing too powerful; it's more about the variety of choices they like to have than the raw power of a single item.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

What I do in situations like this is use my "Common Language" conversion method.

Basically, pretend you were trying to describe the character to your 74 year old grandmother who has no clue about RPG's, computer games, pop-culture, etc. Don't say "Cassius has a lot of ranks in Bluff and Diplomacy. His combat modifiers aren't very good, with the exception of the hand crossbow. Mainly he's the party's face and resource manager" If you do, you'll get a smile, a pat on the head and a "Oh, isn't that nice dear!". No, what you need to do is say something like "My character, Cassius, is a bit of a rogue. He's good with money, and keeps track of every penny. He doesn't fight well, but is a good shot with a crossbow. He's a people person, and gets along well with most...or at least he knows how to get along with people and smooth over hard feelings between rivals. He's kind of like an ambassador of sorts, I guess."

Now that you have described the character in "Common Language", rebuild that using the new system (5e in this case). Pick a class that fits his roguishness. Adjust stats to fit his knack for numbers and whatnot. See if you can find something to give him a bit of a boost with crossbow. Choose the closest background to the characters background and personality. Once that baseline is done...don't be afraid to just add-in special things outside the rules! If he had 4 Feats dedicated to just Bluff/Diplomacy, you don't have to have 4 5e Feats take that up, leaving nothing for his other focus; accounting and crossbows. Just write down "He's a savant with regards to reading a persons face and figuring out what they want. He has Advantage on any Deception, Insight, Intimidation and Persuasion checks", and dock him ONE Feat/+2 Stat adjustment. It's NOT going to break the system. What it will do is make the player feel like he's still playing his character and not some shadow of it.

Feel free to mix-n'-match abilities from other classes or races to give a PC some important aspect, I guess is what I'm saying. As long as the players know that this is a one-off "lets test it out and play" thing and that they won't be allowed to do this with new characters, it shouldn't be a problem. Build the 5e character from the PF character...don't bother trying to build the character "in the normal 5e character building rules/steps". Ad-hoc, piece by piece, mixing and matching as needed.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Tormyr

Adventurer
I think the player might want to retain the spontaneous casting perk of the Sorcerer. He's never been a fan of spellbooks. But otherwise, yes, I think that should more or less cover his bases.

Eldritch Knights do not need spell books. The restriction is that the bulk of their spells are evocation and abjuration schools. Every couple of levels the EK learns a new spell. One spell learned at 3, 8, 14, and 20 may be from other schools.

There is some really good advice in this thread about conversions in general. I've said this many times in different forums about converting one game to another, "you need to be true to the narrative not the mechanics" This came up a lot in discussions of converting games like Magic:the Gathering into a D&D setting. People would sit around and discuss new mechanics to make powers like First Strike. There is no need for that. First strike is just the card game's way of representing from the narrative that the creature strikes first most of the time. It's simply short hand in game mechanics. D&D creates this effect through initiative. So Improved Initiative and the like feats are it's way of creating the same narrative effect in a different system. Sorry for the Tangential example but there is a point.

Even though PF and 5e are close to each other in base mechanics, they handle things very differently. The best way to handle a conversion is to look at what the character is supposed to be doing in the story, in the real world of the game, and look for 5e ways to simulate that. It's far more satisfying to match the actions and not the special effects used to create those actions, so to speak. In reality, it may even open up the characters eyes about different ways to do things and really expand their character concept.

That being said, if you can describe the ways the characters fight and behave, it might be easier for us to make suggestions.

My first instinct on this is to say, "Don't. Have them build entirely new characters instead."

It still remains my strongest instinct. 5E uses an entirely different level of power and balance than Pathfinder. Magic items, for example, are not something 5E is really balanced around; having even half the non-consumable magic items the typical high-level Pathfinder character has can seriously break the game.

In addition, this game makes certain classes a lot more powerful and others a lot weaker than their Pathfinder counterparts, so the strategies your group may be used to could possibly fall apart in actual practice due to these differences. It's simply far easier to go at this system from level 1 and relearning it as you level instead of starting off at a high level and learning just how much has changed.

Tormyr

Adventurer
This is the part that worries me the most. Even though I'm always very stingy when it comes to handing out magic items, this particular campaign began at 15th level and with a more flexible allowance of magic items to reflect their long adventuring careers (plot is that they decided to fund a company in Sigil after years of adventuring together), so to a certain degree they have become reliant on certain items (such as Metamagic Rods for Seyfos, enchanted bows & arrows for Vander, and all sorts of utility items for Cassius. Also dozens of Bags of Holding, which are almost never used to actually store items in them).

I'll have to see how to work that problem, which might alter some parts of their playstyle. Does it break the game too much to hand over some extra magic items/increase attunement slots? Nothing too powerful; it's more about the variety of choices they like to have than the raw power of a single item.

I would suggest letting them keep all of their magic items, but they all get converted to 5e versions. Items that do not have an equivalent in the DMG could either have a conversion that looks right or just get dropped. Extra bags of holding won't hurt things, but I would suggest keeping the attunement limit of 3 items in place. The attunement items are the powerful ones that alter how combat progresses on a larger scale. Metamagic rods are simple enough. Make it an attunement item that grants a type of metamagic from the sorcerer's list and has 3 charges per day. There are not many items for an archer in the DMG, but there is the Oathbow and Quiver of Elohna. I have had to convert a bunch of magic items for our Age of Worms campaign, so PM me if you have any specific questions about a particular item.

Remove ads