• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recurring silly comment about Apocalypse World and similar RPGs

But I've been specifically told right here that you can't use prep to determine the success of anything the player wants to do.
Sure, nothing is established fact which has not been brought into play, at least in DW. There may be a dungeon map, but GMs build maps with holes in them. That is they're provisional and incomplete. They serve as a source of fiction which the GM can pull from, but not as a set of constraints on actions. You don't decide that a search for secret doors cannot succeed based on your map. Say fiction consistent with what came before and is in keeping with your function and goals. Note that in DW it's almost never true that a player can force you to say a specific thing.

pemerton

Legend
I’ve noticed that while often similar the posters supporting a game say different things about it. D&D players do the same with D&D but it’s kind of expected that D&D games will be played very differently. That’s consistently not what’s said about these games. IMO this is part of the source of repeated questions.
I've made two fairly recent posts in the thread addressing this (239 and 288).

And of course more could be made - see eg @Aldarc's fairly recent reply to @Crimson Longinus, setting out some aspects of methodology (289).

The rule is if you do it, you do it. When, in the fiction, are you "doing it"? That's a matter that might differ from table to table. Eg further upthread, I gave the following example of doing something while under serious pressure, triggering acting under fire:
*Domino's player says "Great, that went well. I get on my bike and ride out towards the salt flats, but not all the way yet. I want to get a view from the Harvest Ridge." And then Domino's player looks at the GM.

*That action declaration doesn't trigger any player-side move, and so the GM makes a move, but a soft one - "You head up towards the ridge. But you hear a funny noise from the engine - something's not working right, and it's pretty loud too. What do you do?" This is the GM "activating their stuff’s downside."

*The player says "Fine, I turn back. I don't want any of Dremmer's scouts to catch me". Now the player is making a move (as per p 190) - "When you do something under fire, or dig in to endure fire, roll+cool. . . . You can read 'under fire' to mean any kind of serious pressure at all." The pressure here is that Domino is out half-way to the Salt Flats, with a dodgy engine.
Now maybe at @Manbeacat's table that would be some sort of weaksauce thing that doesn't count as pressure at all! Different tables, different players, different moods on different days all bring differences of aesthetics, differences of judgement, etc.

To me, that's a virtue among humans, not a flaw.

You can see the same thing in discussions of when is Hack & Slash triggered in DW play? Aldarc quoted the dragon example. Ironsworn gives a similar example (p 208):

A leviathan is an ancient sea beast (page 154). It’s tough to kill because of its epic rank, and it inflicts epic harm, but it doesn’t have any other mechanical characteristics. If we look to the fiction of the leviathan’s, description, we see “flesh as tough as iron.” But, rolling a Strike against a leviathan is the same as against a common thug. In either case, it’s your action die, plus your stat and adds compared to the challenge dice. Your chances to score a strong hit, weak hit, or miss are the same.

So how do you give the leviathan its due as a terrifying, seemingly invulnerable foe? You do it through the fiction.

If you have sworn a vow to defeat a leviathan, are you armed with a suitable weapon? Punching it won’t work. Even a deadly weapon such as a spear would barely get its attention. Perhaps you undertook a quest to find the Abyssal Harpoon, an artifact from the Old World, carved from the bones of a long-dead sea god. This mythic weapon gives you the fictional framing you need to confront the monster, and finding it can count as a milestone on your vow to destroy this beast.

Even with your weapon at the ready, can you overcome your fears as you stand on the prow of your boat, the water surging beneath you, the gaping maw of the beast just below the surface? Face Danger with +heart to find out.

The outcome of your move will incorporate the leviathan’s devastating power. Did you score a miss? The beast smashes your boat to kindling. It tries to drag you into the depths. Want to Face Danger by swimming away? You can’t outswim a leviathan. You’ll have to try something else.

Remember the concepts behind fictional framing. Your readiness and the nature of your challenge may force you to overcome greater dangers and make additional moves. Once you’ve rolled the dice, your fictional framing provides context for the outcome of those moves.​

What this means is that what counts as proper fictional positioning to Strike a leviathan, or to Hack & Slash a dragon, or to escape from such a foe by Defying/Facing Danger, will depend on each table. There is no canonical answer. Again, this is a virtue.

You can see a similar thing, too, in discussions of other systems. See eg these posts from @Manbearcat about Torchbearer:
The above is quite different than a question of, say, "how do we hack Torchbearer to support Town-based Adventures?" Now I'm thinking about how several, very important, integrated components of Torchbearer are impacted:

<snip details>

Torchbearer is profoundly more integrated and intricate than any PBtA game so you have major design and cascade implications when you try to perturb and/or reskin/remap the system. You can absolutely do it (I've run Town Adventures), but you better_know_what the hell_you're doing. You better know the system very well in all the discrete ways mentioned above and in how they integrate. PBtA design doesn't have this kind of concerns. But its a tradeoff, because you can't get the sort of amazing intricacy of decision-space management in any PBtA game as you do in Torchbearer. That isn't to say that the decision-space management in various PBtA games isn't intricate or extremely consequential (a well-run DW game by an agile, aggressive GM who understands the levers/widgets/attrition model can be a harrowing experience), but it just cannot rise to the level of Torchbearer...and that is due to the nature of design tradeoffs and their impact on play.
Now none of that is to say that Dungeon World doesn't have a substantial and compelling Gamist layer when run and played both correctly, deftly, and aggressively. However, that Gamist layer is not "dungeon explorer-centered" and its 100 % not "map-and-key-dungeon-explorer-centered" (like B/X or Torchbearer).
Now I've run "town adventures" in Torchbearer 2e (see eg this actual play report). They didn't particularly involve map-and-key. The Grind still mattered, but the light clock was not a factor.

Does the mean I'm doing Torchbearer "wrong"? Well @Manbearcat is yet to make the trans-continental + trans-Pacific journey to come and personally remonstrate with me! I think he already knows that my table is lighter on consequences than his, and not just in Torchbearer play.

Yet I've never had any issues discussing RPGing with Manbearcat, be that Torchbearer or 4e D&D or Dungeon World or whatever else. It is possible for two people to grasp the design architecture of a game, to put that architecture to work, and yet to not play games that are clones of one another.

mamba

Legend
They serve as a source of fiction which the GM can pull from, but not as a set of constraints on actions. You don't decide that a search for secret doors cannot succeed based on your map.
so if a character searches for a secret door and the roll succeeds, there then is one and the GM has to decide what is behind it?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Nowhere near often enough, if you ask me.

Rare indeed is the D&D adventure that bothers to show and-or tell you which way the doors open - relevant info, as it makes a big difference when you're trying to kick in a door whether that door wants to open away from you or toward you. It's one of my pet peeves with module design in general.
This needs a whole other thread - but I just want to say you are not alone
It's easily solved at the table (I make it up randomly or whatever is more interesting) - but it doesn't need to be

But I've been specifically told right here that you can't use prep to determine the success of anything the player wants to do.

So I'm not sure the context in which you're drawing this conclusion, but here are a few core things related to (a) indie games in general and (b) Apocalypse World (and kindred) specifically:

* Not all indie games are the same. They're not all possessed of the same game engine nor are they possessed of the exact same ethos. Certainly they aren't composed of the same premise and genre conceits.

* Not every NPC or obstacle in Apocalypse World qualifies as a Threat. Sometimes things you come up against are just the equivalent of redshirts or mooks. They're just fodder without complex motivations. However, a Threat? A Threat is a very specific thing with motivations that animate them. In AW, that is called an Impulse and that Impulse will inform intentions, plans, direction, and the will to sustain action and respond coherently to others.

You can't just Seduce or Manipulate (or a playbook move) with eff-all leverage. The leverage has to address a Threat's self-interest; their Impulse.

AW 198
Absent leverage, they’re just talking, and you should have your NPCs agree or accede, decline or refuse, according to their own self-interests.

Further, AW has an advancement for Seduce and Manipulate where on a 12+, you fundamentally change the nature of a Threat. Instead of being a Threat, they become an Ally with a particular subtype and a brand new Impulse related to that new Ally status and subtype.

A large number of PBtA games that are basically full derivatives of AW are like this, but Impulse is called something different.

You've probably heard me call 5e's Social Interaction conflict resolution AW-inspired? This is why. Its pretty nearly cribbed and reskinned for 5e. The meta of AW (and the like) social conflict is (a) back-and-forth with the NPC, (b) Read a Person (or a stand-in playbook move), (c) Seduce or Manipulate once you have levarage (that addresses their self-interest; their Impulse). Now that can be difficult. Maybe they want something that you don't want to give up. Maybe that puts you in a spot. Well that is the fun of it; figuring out that puzzle. Thinking creatively, laterally, agilely in such a way that addresses that Impulse but where you don't give up too much.

But "no" is not on the table. That is correct. Everyone in AW (and kindred) has a price. But you have to "pay it", "play ball", or otherwise figure out a way to sate their self-interest without giving up "the house." Otherwise, again, you're "just talking."

Not all indie games have this machinery and this procedure. Not all PBtA games either. And not every NPC in AW even engages with this (only the consequential ones).

EDIT - Quick extra comment here. This is why reading, really scrutinizing, really understanding these games and then putting that understanding to work in actual play is so important. You can't just extend a general use-case statement to (a) all games and then (b) suspend the fundamentals that virtually every game of any kind of intricacy carves out specific exceptions to the general use-case inherent to that game (and informs you of the subtleties of how and why within the text).

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
that time, which would be momentumless padding in a more conflict-driven game, is also what I feel like gives my brain the time and space to realize escalations that do hound on the dramatic question of the scene or the players. When there is little separating out having to make GM moves, my brain starts to fry
That's why it's OK to take your time.

That can be literal: as in, tell the table that you need a minute or two to ponder.

Or more subtle: the shot is taken, the failure rolled - and now we cut to this other PC doing this other thing, and while that is being played out the back half of your brain is working through the consequence for failure, perhaps drawing inspiration from what's going on in the front half.

Another thing that I do is talk to the players about what they think is at stake in the situation. Sometimes its more obvious to them than to me.

pemerton

Legend
Okay... then expect any claims you make to potentially be argued. You like debate... then do so. Don't say that other people like to take things personally, and dodge backing up your claim.

<snip>

So perhaps say something like "I'm not confident in my ability to use this game system to create plausible fiction" rather than "this game is not likely to produce plausible fiction". Place the blame, such as it is, with the appropriate party.
100% this.

pemerton

Legend
Another thing that I do is talk to the players about what they think is at stake in the situation. Sometimes its more obvious to them than to me.
A further comment on this:

Sometimes what's obvious to the players, about what's at stake and what a consequence might be, is a bit jarring to me - maybe to me it seems a bit inelegant, even goofy. Well, part of engaging in a group activity is sometimes biting one's tongue and going along with the rest of the group. I mean, it's their fiction too!

pemerton

Legend
It's like this discussion of 'plausible dungeons'. It's almost insane, no dungeon is even faintly plausible and thus any crazy thing makes as much sense as anything else. So I can't really think that plausibility is really the issue.
Are you saying that Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth is not a paradigm of realism?

Hang on . . . are you saying that Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth is essentially arbitrary, within the parameters of "will this make for a good dungeon crawl for experienced players of mid-to-high level D&D characters"?

Mind blown!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads