• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Redo 2: Select the ONE non d20 game you would play?

Which non d20/D&D game would you play if you could only play ONE?

• Alternity

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • HERO System

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • GURPS

Votes: 42 9.1%
  • Call of Cthulhu - BRP

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Shadowrun

Votes: 49 10.6%
  • Exalted

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • WEG d6

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Uni-System

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Ars Magica

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • World of Darkness - new or old

Votes: 38 8.2%
  • Talislanta

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Rolemaster - any version

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Traveller

Votes: 21 4.5%
  • Savage Worlds

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • HARP

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Hackmaster

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Paranoia

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Tri-Stat dx

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Rifts/Palladiumverse

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 59 12.8%

Nine Hands

Explorer
I went with Fuzion, especially the incarnation my friend TJ has worked up. Simple and elegant. Great for most anime/modern/futuristic games.

screenmonkey

Banned
Banned
SAVAGE WORLDS :cool:

There simply is no comparison. As important to the fun of the session as: who you're with, what setting you use, and the person running the game - is the system itself.

The only system that comes close to contributing as much fun to the session is Feng Shui, but that's tied to the setting (which limits it's usefulness.)

SAVAGE WORLDS :D

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
My group's currently playing Savage Worlds and really loving it. Despite that, I chose Unisystem, because it comes in two flavors (Classic and Cinematic) according to detail level, and I love that system, too. :)

Zoatebix

Working on it
Tri-stat got my vote because Ex Machina alone looks just that good. Oh so good kinda good. THAT good.

I'd love to play me some old-school WoD Werewolf, though the new-school is looking interesting - too bad I don't like some of the design choices in the new WoD, like the "feat"-like merits, and having soak, armor, dodging, and parrying all combine to help make what's now an essentially hit-or-miss combat system. No more will the dice help you describe the action.

Exalted is fun stuff, too. And I'm really interested in trying Alternaty and Savage Worlds, if I ever get the chance. And the design notes for Ars Magica 5th make me soooooo happy...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Toss up between Ars Magica and Call of Cthulhu (BRP). Which one is the ONE game depends on when you ask me...

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* And my dislike of GURPS has more to do with some of the local players than the system itself. (We had one GURPS player who insisted that the reason WotC was doing the open game license was to push GURPS out of the arena...)

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
HERO. Mainly because it's universal, and I'm interpretting the question as "one system for the rest of your life." I'd probably even pick HERO over D&D if D&D were thrown into the equation.

Shadowrun and the new WoD are very close behind. Both have excellent settings and I actually kinda like dice pools. Old WoD would be on the list, but new WoD is an improvement, so there's no point.

robberbaron

First Post
My "other" would be Runequest (1e).
Then again, Bushido was very enjoyable.

Nooooooo! I can't decide! I want to play both! Fzzzzt. Error, error, error.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads