• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Reflavoring races

Does anyone else do this?
Oh, sure.

I've rewritten humans, dwarves, and halflings and their relationship with each other.

My anakim are a mix of goliaths and teiflings. Half-elves are more like English faerie changelings. Genasi are significantly different, and are more fae than elemental based, although there is an earth (wood), water, and wind type. Along with humans modified by Clarktech, I'm just now bringing in kobolds and maybe lizardfolk. That would be all of the local humanoids. There just might be some Eberron style changelings about, but I haven't decided yet.

Weiley31

Legend
Half-Golem: Refluffed Reborn or Warforged.

Karakuri/Automaton: Refluffed Gearforged from Tome of Heroes by Kobold Press. Each of the four chassis represents different configurations.

Kitsune: Refluffed Elf or Half-Elf. (Can't figure out the method to do the Tails though in a way that I like)

Dragonlance Draconians: Yup-Refluffed Dragonborn.

Wolf PC ala Great Wolf Sif: Refluffed Dog pc option from Animal Adventures.

Shulassakar: Well, refluffed Lawful Good Yuan-Ti seemed like a good idea, but Keith Baker says that apparently refluffed Assimar would fit better.

Psurlon PC: Refluffed Kalashtar.

Ixbian (Goat Men): Refluffed Minotaur.

Modron: Refluffed Glitchling or Refluffed Autognome.

Xixchili: Refluffed Thri-Kreen.

Half-Giant: Refluffed Goliath

Oni: Refluffed Firbolg or Orc (depending on if you're going Ogre Mage/Physical style of Oni)

Fey'ri: As somebody mentioned before in this post, refluffed Tiefling.

Tanarukk: Refluffed Orc

Merrow: Refluffed Merfolk.

Reigar: Refluffed Assimar.

Duhallan: Refluffed Hexblood or ????

Bullywug/Grippli: Refluffed Grung.

Harpy: Refluffed Siren from Odyssey of The Dragonlords.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
5E Space Clowns: Refluffed Tiefling with the OneD&D options applied/used at character creation. (side note: Hit Point Press' upcoming Heckna has not only a Clown Language(Gobbledygook) but ALSO a disease progression(Clown Possession) for people getting turned into Clowns. PERFECT for your Space Clowns needs/what nots.

Animal Headed Archons: Refluffed Ardlings.

Bariaurs: Refluffed Centaurs. (although: ANY Centaur like creature such as Dracotaurs/Wemics/Pegataur and what not are refluffed Centaurs technically.)

Nekomata: Refluffed Tabaxi or Catfolk from Kobold Press's Tome of Heroes. For extra flavour, apply to them the Necromancer feat from Ruins of Symbaroum's Players' Guide. (I actually legit suggest ANY kind of necromancer type character to get that feat given to them when it comes to adding a house rule.)

Magi (From the Adventurer's Guide to the Bible 5E): Refluffed Elf.

Inevitable: Refluffed Glitchling, Gearforged or Warforged with any time based subclass/Quandrix College Strixhaven features.

Strixhaven Oriq: Refluffed Aetherborn(and ONLY because they BOTH get cool Masks as their style MO.)

Mindflayer-lite: Refluffed Simic-Hybrid.

4E Deva: Refluffed Assimar.

Were-type Being but a crappy option for it: Refluffed Shifters.

Doppleganger: Refluffed Changeling with the appropriate Character Secret from Rime of The Frostmaiden.

4E Vyrloka: Refluffed Dhampir or Refluffed Vampire PC race option from the Planeshift Articles.

Dark Sun Ssurran: Refluffed Lizardfolk.

Shadovar: Shade PC race option from Kobold Press' Tome of Heroes.

Ghoul PC: Darakhul race option from Kobold Press' Tome of Heroes.

4E Swordwing: Refluffed Tosculli from Kobold Press/Southlands or Refluffed Kalashtar to lean more in the "Aberration" type features a typing would offer.

Hisao: Refluffed Owlfolk/Owlkin

Troll PC: Refluffed Trollkin PC race option from Iron Kingdoms: Requiem 5E.

Treant: Refluffed Kijani from Kobold Press' Unlikely Heroes 3PP material.

PC Controlled Golems: Refluffed Steamjacks from Iron Kingdoms: Requiem 5E.

Homicidal Dolphin Delighter PC: Refluffed Rhydan-Dolphin subrace option from Blue Rose Adventurer's Guide 5E. Convince DM to change Typing to Fey.

Rhydan Bear PC for Blue Rose 5E: Refluffed Bearfolk from Midgard 3PP setting.

Half-Dragon: Refluffed Dragonborn.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
Also, this ONLY occurred to me about two weeks ago.

4E Style Nymph PCs: Refluffed Eladrin since they ALSO had the Seasonal schtick when they became a playable option within 4E. For additional flavor, add the Cantrip options that were present in the UA the 5E Eladrin were in. Finally change their type to Fey and your all set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads