D&D 5E Regeneration Spell Value?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
That is pretty hard to answer. A scroll of regeneration is listed as a very rare item, which IIRC the DMG lists as having a value between 2500 and 25,000 gp. But I don't put much stock in those prices.

This guy pegs the scroll price at 2560 gp. But that is for a generic level 7 scroll, the value probably depends on the spell. I wouldn't say regeneration was one of the better level 7 spells out there.

But mainly, the amount of treasure you give out can vary a lot from table to table, so it is hard to know how much utility 1 gp is worth. If you ask me though, I'd rather have a suit of plate armor than a scroll of regeneration.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I use the following general prices for magic items in my games:
50gp Common
500gp Uncommon
5,000gp Rare
50,0000gp Very Rare

...and so on.

Fanaelialae

Legend
How much is regeneration spell worth in gp?

Assuming you're asking what it's worth to have a NPC cast it, that will depend on your setting and circumstances.

How prevalent are level 13+ spellcasters in the world? If every city has a few dozen, then it likely costs somewhere between a few hundred and a few thousand gp. On the other hand, if you're dealing with one of the only casters in the world who can cast it, then they can basically name their price in valuables, favors, or both.

Of course, that doesn't take into account circumstances. A high priest of the same faith would likely cast it, on a warrior who lost a limb in service to that faith, for free. While it is a valuable resource, it isn't particularly time consuming, nor does it have any expensive components. A cleric who is in desperate need of funds might cast it for far less than it is actually worth. If a black guard asks a good cleric to cast it for him, it's plausible that the cleric would refuse to do so for any sum. A neutral cleric might find him so distasteful that he requests an absurd amount on the assumption that the anti-paladin will simply leave.

If you need a formula, you could start with something like the square of the spell level times 20 (plus the cost of any consumable components) plus 30. Regenerate would be 1,010 gp using that formula.

Coroc

Hero
In my games usually an empty scroll is 25 (Your game unit GP in my case SP or whatever zorkmids you use as a base currency)

Scrolls with spells on them go (spell Level )^2 * 100 [zorkmids]

So if u use gold your 1st Level spell will be 100 GP, 3rd Level 900 GP, 7th Level 4900 gp and 9hth Level 8100 gp. That scales good in comparison to Prices for equipment. But it also depends a bit on how much Dong you give to your Party. At any given Level the Party wealth should not exceed 2000*Party Level (E.G. Party is 5th Level they should own about 5000 gp at any given time)

Adjust Party wealth by any means necessary, theft, fees, costs for whatever.

Syntallah

First Post
I don't play Adventurer's League, but I do use some of their rules. The price for NPC spellcasting is:

((Spell level squared * 10) + ( 2 * any consumed material cost) + (10% of any non-consumed material cost)), in gold pieces.

So, a Regenerate spell will cost you 493gp ((7^2*10) + (0) + (2.5 + .5))

Fanaelialae

Legend
Ever since I wrote my first post, I've been thinking that casting time really ought to be factored in to the cost.

Material components aside, there should probably be a difference between the cost for a spell like raise dead which takes an hour to cast, and cure mass wounds which takes an action. Presumably spellcasters value their own time as much as, if not more than, other people.

Remove ads