• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rejiggering armour for a late darkage tech level. (2nd ed)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Let me be sure of the premise you're using:

Basically a pseudo-northern europe with a tech level equivalent to Europe between 1066 (Norman Conquest) and 1095 (the First Crusade)?

If that's correct, then I have a few notes.

First, this period is what we call the High Medieval Period. The Dark Ages are essentially the same thing as the Early Medieval Period (5th thru 9th century).

The armor of choice (if you could afford it) was Mail (not chainmail, which is a neologism created much later - the term at the time was simply "Mail"). It was usually in the form of a Hauberk (down to the knees and covering the arms), with leggings of mail (chausses), and a mail hood (coif) - with a padded Gambeson underneath and a fabric hood under the coif. Mail mittens were a later addition. There were differing kinds of Mail, most differentiated by quality (size of the rings, material used, thickness of the rings, type of "weave", riveted or not, etc.), with Kings Mail being the best (and worth a King's ransom in price).

Armors such as steel breastplates, or any armor with steel plates, wasn't developed yet (or actually re-developed yet - or we at least have no surviving samples). As far as we know, plates were not added to Mail until the late 12th into the 13th century, and wasn't common until the 14th century. This started out as what we call "transition" armor, as plates of boiled leather and steel started to be added to vulnerable points of Mail armor.

Technically, Brigandine and Coat-of-Jacks are the same thing, and as far as we know anachronistic for the period you're specifying (or at least, no surviving examples have been discovered from this period). In Europe, these also weren't developed until the late 12th into the 13th centuries, but most prominent in the 14th century.

(It may be that armor which is 100 to 200 years out of time for the period is no big deal for you, and that's cool. Just remember that for the time, it would be the equivalent of wearing modern body armor and using an M4 carbine in WWII! - as opposed to wearing a flak jacket and using an M1.)

Any such anachronistic armors, I would think, would be perfectly okay to exist if you want them to, but I would think they should either be a requested custom creation (one of a kind and veerrryyy expensive), constructed in another cultural area that may have possibly made such armor at the time (middle east, asia), or made by one of the fantasy races (Dwarves, Elves, etc.). Responses to Europeans seeing this strange armor would vary from amusement to amazement, but would most certainly be one of the extremes. It would stick out as much as a modern soldier wearing Full Plate today.

The most common armor that would be seen would simply be a padded Gambeson. This is a thick cloth armor made up of layers of cloth with their weaves running at right angles to it's neighboring layers (much like layers of kevlar in modern body armor). It was relatively inexpensive, but only relative to other forms of armor. It took a considerable amount of time and skill to make properly. Not as much as Mail, but still considerable. Also, a Gambeson was used in concert with other forms of armor. Only a fool would wear only a Mail Hauberk. Defense wise, a Mail Hauberk would provide very little protection from bludgeoning weapons, and would likely be very uncomfortable to wear without some padding underneath. A Gambeson provided fairly equal protection to all forms of attack: Bludgeoning, Slashing, and Piercing. Although other forms of Armor were significantly better at some, or all, of those.

Armors like Ringmail or Scale Mail, although possibly still encountered, would have been viewed as antique compared to Mail. They would likely be very rare, having either been handed down for generations, or taken from a foriegn warrior (scale mail especially was quite common in the middle east at this time).

Leather Armor would have existed, but probably not in the way it's commonly seen or used in D&D. Boiled leather would be almost nonexistent (last seen in Europe during the Roman Empire). Typically, leather armor would have simply been cloth (like a Gambeson), with an outer layer of leather (possibly a water proofed form).

Lamellar Armor would also be virtually unheard of in Europe (also last seen in Europe during the Roman Empire). At this time, it was only being used in the Middle East (semi-common), in Asia by Turks and Mongols (common), and early forms in Japan.

Swords.

Reference: Oakeshott typology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, myArmoury.com: Oakeshott Type X Swords, myArmoury.com: Oakeshott Type XI Swords, myArmoury.com: Featured Content and Articles

From surviving examples, we believe that during the period you specify, there were no such things as "Longswords" or "Bastard" swords. There were really only two types of sword like weapons: Falchion-like blades (essentially big single edged cleavers that developed into what we call Messers by the 14th century), and "Swords". Both would have been single handed weapons (as a shield was almost always used). A "Sword" would have been a one-handed, cruciform hilt, double edged weapon with a blade of about 30" to 32", and likely have a central fuller. All swords of this time in western and northern europe were made to this general description.

Any sword that varied from the above descriptions, would have been a wholly unique and specially requested sword at this time. Also, such a sword would be wielded in combat differently than the swords of the time. Such designs would probably experience advantages and disadvantages against opponents of the day. it would be tantamount to running an experiment with an entirely new type of weapon and fighting style, with your survival in the balance. That's not something to be taken lightly, and probably why evolution and changes in weapons and armor were gradual over time. You can literally call it the Medieval Arms Race.

Some extra general notes:

The term, "Bastard Sword", was a contemporary colloquial term used for a Longsword or two-handed sword during it's time (late 13th century on). The one handed sword of the 11th century, with the a slightly longer and modified blade, would have been called an arming sword or side-sword during the same period (late 13th century on). The term "Broad Sword" wasn't used until the 17th century, when it had different meanings in different areas (in England it would have been the same as the "Longsword" of the 14th century - and called a Claymore in Scotland; in Scotland it would have been a basket-hilted, single-edged sword - which would have been called a "Backsword" in England).

There was also no weapon known as a "Shortsword" at this time. Such swords were called Gladiuses during the Roman Empire, and by other names in later time periods (13th century on). Other than the sword, all that would be carried were knives and daggers of varying sizes and names (based on region). The point at which a knife or dagger became a sword or falchion, varried from place to place, and time to time - and depended on who was carrying it or wielding it at the time, and who was making the distinction.

B-)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Last but not least a 'cheap iron' sword would be absolutely useless as a weapon. You would be physically incapable of sharpening it and it would literally bend if struck to hard.
Then why were they used so often? The Vikings, in particular, had to stop and unbend their cheap iron swords on occassion. And they bent them into 'S' shapes when they buried someone with one. Not that I don't agree with you about the skill and amount of work needed to make a good one, but not everyone could afford something like that. Demand, because they were made such a big deal of, resulted in a lot of substandard swords. I've even seen it said at least once that cheap swords were cast in large lots to arm an army with some kind of sword! But usually they were used after their spear(s) was/were no longer useful. Which is what I ment by their being backup weapons. Sure, officers and heroes used them more than most, but the typical grunt didn't draw his sidearm (sword, axe, mace, saxe, etc.) until he had to. Spears were (relatively) cheap compared to most swords.

Imperialus

Explorer
Ok, wow... This post is going to take a while for me to even digest, much less process and work into my outline. I would like to kick it off though by thanking you for the thought that you obviously put into it.

I should also point out that I've also posted this thread over on Dragonsfoot and for anyone who follows that forum as well you'll have to excuse a bit of repetition in my answers.

In thinking more about the premise I think the 'tone' I'm trying to capture is the rather wiggy period between say 940(something) when the last major Viking incursion captured York and 1086 when the Domsday book was completed and the Normans secured control of Wessex, Mercia and most of Northumbria. That said, my larger goal is to create a logical and internally consistent world with its own history. I'm not terribly interested in being able to point at my campaign and say "Look! I recreated Norway under the reign of Herald Finehair!" Historical accuracy is important, but only insofar as it can impart the tone that I'm going for.

Now, regarding the anachronisms. I'm almost certainly going to drop the Bastard Sword from the list. I think I included it more out of a personal love for the Type XVIIIB which I think was pretty much the pinnacle of European swordcraft and I glossed over the fact that the damn thing didn't exist yet :D.

Shortswords are a term of convenience more than anything. It just rolls off the tongue better than "Stabbing weapon, longer than a dagger but shorter than a sword." :p

As far as the armour anachronisms go I think I'd have a tougher time moving away from them, largely for game balance reasons, but also because I think I can fit them into the larger campaign while keeping the logic of them intact.

Regarding the different types of mail: First, in my defense I don't think I ever once referred to it as "chainmail" unless specifically referring to the D&D armour that I'm replacing. :p It's a pet peeve of mine as well. I think I have differentiated between mail of varying qualities, ranging from the "munition quality mail" (an anachronism I know, but I think the concept fits) to the "Double mail" (not an anachronism though it is unclear exactly what for Double mail was). Hauberks fit nicely in between. That said, I need to do some fixing regarding the types of helmets that come with the armour. Bassinets just don't work. Coifs, Kettle hats, Spangenhelms and Nasal Helmets are where it's at.

As for the specific armours, I think it's important to at least try to come up with enough diversity to cover a similar AC spread as is found in the PHB, simply for game balance reasons. If I limited the list to (essentially) padded armour and 'chainmail' it leaves a critical AC gap for Thieves, Fighters, Paladins, Clerics, and Rangers. I'll either be dolling out a lot more magic chainmail than I would want to, artificially mucking with monsters THAC0 or accepting the fact that the frontline fighters will be taking 10-15% more damage during combat due to the lack of the "plate" class armours. This would probably lead to a natural progression where I'd be seeing a ridiculous number of Elvin Fighter/Mages simply for the Armour spell.

That said, I could probably do away with Brigadine and leave a gap at AC6 within the spectrum of 'normal' armour at least but I'd be really leery of getting rid of the Coat of Plates and the Steel Breastplates simply for balance reasons (unless of course you could suggest a non anachronistic type of armour that would fill a similar role?)

I see Ringmail as filling an important role, and I'm actually debating replacing studded leather with it entirely. Resources are scarce in the region and I could see ringmail being constructed out of rings that were originally intended for the production of mail but were rejected for one reason or another, or even rings that were recovered from battle damaged mail suits. It creates a low cost alternative that common soldiers and mercenaries could even construct themselves using detritus from a battle and a leather or padded jacket. Like I said before, I have no problem with anachronism, as long as it is internally consistent.

Now I'd also like to make clear that Double Mail is the heaviest type of armour that is commonly seen. Both coats of plate and Steel Brestplates (the biggest anachronisms) are extremely new technology developed in response to the intensity of the warfare that the humans have found themselves in. Prior to the invasion of the Hobgoblins warfare was a relatively low intensity affair, consisting of small bands of professional soldiers fighting over things like cattle and relatively small parcels of land.

Coats of plate and Breastplates have only been developed in the last few years and are extraordinarily expensive and hard to come by. Like I said in the writeup "Every coat of plates in the region has been imported at great expense from the Kingdom of Redderinn." Also, I didn't detail it in my original post, but there are no steel breastplates in existence in the region. Thusfar they have only been manufactured in extremely small quantities by the dwarven citystates over the past 10-15 years but the Dwarves are completely cut off from the Human kingdoms by the Hobgoblin empire. There is literally maybe 2 or 3 dwarves in the world who can be said have mastered the technique of hardening the steel to the point where it would make a functional breastplate. The Coats of Plate developed by the humans consist of unhardened plates sewn into an outer garment to we worn over top of the mail. It's not terribly practical, almost a prototype than anything else.

Last but not least, Scale armour and Lamellar are unique to Elves who developed their armour technology independently from the humans so I see no great difficulty in handwaving the fact that it was uncommon outside of the Byzantium and the Middle east. To further up the weirdness factor they're also made out of specially treated wood. Since wood (if one were to be daft enough to make wooden armour in the real world) would need to be worked very differently than steel it makes sense that it would be carved, have holes drilled into the pieces and then either sewn onto a backing in the case of Scale or laced together as is the case with Lamellar.

Imperialus

Explorer
Then why were they used so often? The Vikings, in particular, had to stop and unbend their cheap iron swords on occassion. And they bent them into 'S' shapes when they buried someone with one. Not that I don't agree with you about the skill and amount of work needed to make a good one, but not everyone could afford something like that. Demand, because they were made such a big deal of, resulted in a lot of substandard swords. I've even seen it said at least once that cheap swords were cast in large lots to arm an army with some kind of sword! But usually they were used after their spear(s) was/were no longer useful. Which is what I ment by their being backup weapons. Sure, officers and heroes used them more than most, but the typical grunt didn't draw his sidearm (sword, axe, mace, saxe, etc.) until he had to. Spears were (relatively) cheap compared to most swords.

The more I think about it, the more I think you have a really good point, especially if I tie your suggestions in with Wik's. How's this for a refinement. I do away with 'shortswords' and 'bastard swords'. Instead I split the sword list into the "noble swords" which are further divided into "Broadswords" and "Longswords" corresponding to the Oakeshotte type X and XI respectively. These are the pattern welded symbols of nobility and warfare that I described in the OP.

A second more general class of swords exist that are constructed using a simpler quenching/tempering method, lowering their cost to within reason for a reasonably successful mercenary or other common soldier. They have the same stats as a shortsword and can be used by thieves.

green slime

First Post
I really dig this kind of flavour, I have done a similar thing with my campaign, except basing the human technology level on that of the Roman empire (with fantastical elements of course).

Well done!

Imperialus

Explorer
Edited my OP to incorporate some of the suggestions here. Biggest change was the further focusing of the weapons list and the reworking of the 'swords' category. Also ditched Brigadine and added some short notes to both the Ringmail and studded leather explaining their existence within the world.

A Note on Swords: Swords in Normark are a mark of status. A proper sword is made using an extremely laborious process known as pattern welding that can only be accomplished by an exceptionally skilled smith (the entire town of Yiggsburg only has 2 smiths with the skill to create such weapons and no one in Normark is capable of the feat) and typically must be commissioned by an individual weeks or months in advance. As such, these swords are only available at character creation to Paladins and Fighters with the Noble Warrior kit, who can pay the PHB book price for such a weapon rather than the adjusted GP cost seen above, representing its heirloom status. Other characters can only start with a longknife. In exchange for the difficulty in finding swords, they do however offer a non magical +1 to hit and damage. They are also the most common weapon to find magically enchanted.

Despite the name, Longknives are swords by any reasonable definition of the word. They are between 30 and 35 inches long, and double edged, looking almost identical in form to the Long and Broadswords. The difference lies in the manufacturing technique. Rather than pattern welding, they are constructed by smiths of lesser skill using a more conventional quenching/tempering process. The reduced cost of these weapons has made them extremely popular on the battlefield outside of the noble class. The term ‘longknife’ is actually an insult to the weapon, meant to imply that it is little better than something one might use in the kitchen. Those who own longknives though are rightfully proud of them, and would not stoop to calling them such. Many longknives are even decorated with runes or designs etched into the fuller to make up for the lack of a pattern. Elvin Khopesh are another exception. They are typically unavailable for purchase, though druid characters may begin the game having already acquired one at the book price. should it be lost or destroyed however they had better hope they have a good relationship with an elvin clan to garner a replacement.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
The more I think about it, the more I think you have a really good point, especially if I tie your suggestions in with Wik's. How's this for a refinement. I do away with 'shortswords' and 'bastard swords'. Instead I split the sword list into the "noble swords" which are further divided into "Broadswords" and "Longswords" corresponding to the Oakeshotte type X and XI respectively. These are the pattern welded symbols of nobility and warfare that I described in the OP.

A second more general class of swords exist that are constructed using a simpler quenching/tempering method, lowering their cost to within reason for a reasonably successful mercenary or other common soldier. They have the same stats as a shortsword and can be used by thieves.
That sounds like an excellent compromise to me. Glad I was able to help. :D Fluff is your friend.

Imperialus

Explorer
so another update to the list. I think we're approaching it's final form. I added shields and adopted a set of house rules mentioned on Dragonsfoot for them.

Weapons and Armour

Normark and Yiggsburg have an approximate technology level matching that of Europe during the late Dark Ages/Early Middle Age. As such some refinement and focusing of the types of weapons and armour available in the PHB is necessary. There are also a number of ‘mundane’ goods that do not exist, but we’ll deal with those as they come up. The following weapons are available to PC’s. Weapons and armour with a * beside them are uncommon or otherwise non native weapons to the area. They may be more difficult to find and are unavailable at character creation. It is important to note that some prices have changed. In the PHB for example it is assumed that some armours such as Ringmail cost more due to the fact that it was obsolete and few armourers would continue to manufacture it. This is not the case in Normark.

Weapons

Battle Axe (A dwarven invention from several centuries ago. Extremely popular among humans.)
Bearded Axe (Stats identical to a Greatsword)
Bow
Flight Arrow
Sheaf Arrow
Shortbow
Longbow
Club
Daggers
Darts
Footman’s Flail* (2h) (Common among hobgoblin infantry)
Hand or Throwing Axe (Francisca or hatchet)
Horseman’s Flail* (Extremely common among the horseman from Gral-Shirath)
Javelin
Knife
Lance
Light Horse Lance* (More closely resembles a spear than a “lance”. Still quite uncommon, though popular to the south. Can be thrown, with a range of 10/15/20)
Medium Horse Lance* (Only beginning to see use in the southern kingdoms)
Glaive
Fauchard
Guisarme
Quarterstaff
Sickle
Sling
Spear (A one handed weapon designed to be used in concert with a shield)
Swords
Broad Sword 100 GP (one of the ‘noble swords’ design has been popular in the north for centuries)
Long Sword 125 GP (one of the ‘noble swords’ A ‘refinement’ of the Broad Sword, more commonly found in the south. It is capable of both S and P damage)
Longknife 30 GP (Same stats as a shortsword only damage type S)
Khopesh* A weapon unique to the elves. It can be wielded by druids.
Warclub (same stats as a footmans mace)
Whip

A Note on Swords: Swords in Normark are a mark of status. A proper sword is made using an extremely laborious process known as pattern welding that can only be accomplished by an exceptionally skilled smith (the entire town of Yiggsburg only has 2 smiths with the skill to create such weapons and no one in Normark is capable of the feat) and typically must be commissioned by an individual weeks or months in advance. As such, these swords are only available at character creation to Paladins and Fighters with the Noble Warrior kit, who can pay the PHB book price for such a weapon rather than the adjusted GP cost seen above, representing its heirloom status. Other characters can only start with a longknife. In exchange for the difficulty in finding swords, they do however offer a non magical +1 to hit and damage. They are also the most common weapon to find magically enchanted.

Despite the name, Longknives are swords by any reasonable definition of the word. They are between 30 and 35 inches long, and double edged, looking almost identical in form to the Long and Broadswords. The difference lies in the manufacturing technique. Rather than pattern welding, they are constructed by smiths of lesser skill using a more conventional quenching/tempering process. The reduced cost of these weapons has made them extremely popular on the battlefield outside of the noble class. The term ‘longknife’ is actually an insult to the weapon, meant to imply that it is little better than something one might use in the kitchen. Those who own longknives though are rightfully proud of them, and would not stoop to calling them such. Many longknives are even decorated with runes or designs etched into the fuller to make up for the lack of a pattern. Elvin Khopesh are another exception. They are typically unavailable for purchase, though druid characters may begin the game having already acquired one at the book price. should it be lost or destroyed however they had better hope they have a good relationship with an elvin clan to garner a replacement.

Armour:
Gambeson: 4GP AC8 (padded armour)
Leather Curiass: 6GP* AC8 (leather armour, typically only seen among goblin skermishers)
Ringmail: 25GP AC7 (Often a homemade enhancement to a Gambeson)
Studded Leather: 50GP AC7 (A more professional enhancement to a Gambeson)
Hide Armour: 15GP* AC6 (Common among Orcish tribes)
Scale: 150GP* AC6 (Common among elves. Druids can wear Scale)
Guards-Mail: 150GP AC5 (Very popular among household troops and successful mercenaries. The lightest ‘professional’ armour)
Segmented Armour: 120GP* AC5 (The armour of most hobgoblin infantry)
Lamellar Armour: 200GP* AC5 (Only constructed by elves. Druids can wear Lamellar)
Mail Halburk 400GP AC4
Double Mail 1000GP AC3

Misc notes about the armour:
Both Scale and Lamellar armour are unique in that they are actually constructed from wood that has been specially treated by the elves, a process that leaves the wood covered in a thin lacquer, rendering it almost as hard as steel. The elves are willing to trade their armour to humans, though they keep the secrets of its manufacture to themselves. Many humans call Lamellar armour “Elvin Mail” not realizing that the unique chainmail constructed by the elves (and their drow cousins) does indeed exist, though the art of its manufacture is completely lost amongst the tribes surrounding Yiggsburg and Normark. Only a few suits of actual Elvin Mail exist in the region, and they are considered precious family herlooms of a race whose generations last for centuries. The elves of the region do little to dispel these rumors since it allows them to inflate the price of their wooden armours. Elvin armours almost never come with helmets.

On Mail:
The different types of mail available in Yiggsburg represent the pinnacle of the technology but there are significant differences in construction technique between the various types. Mail construction is a time consuming and in certain locations of the body a highly skilled art form. The armpits for example are very difficult to construct so as to make the mail fit right, as are mail coifs and making the mail fit tightly to an individual’s torso.

Guards-Mail (also known as Common-Mail or Munitions Quality Mail) is the result of an attempt to simplify the manufacture of mail so that it could be mass produced for common soldiers. This was a direct response to the need for increased protection among household soldiers during the wars with Gral-Shirath where they were facing professionally equipped troops, often with little more than a shield and spear. It follows a traditional 4 in 1 construction method identical to higher quality mails but it is designed so that the front and back are not joined by mail except at the top of the shoulders but rather by a strip of leather to which the front and back are sewn. This makes the armour considerably easier to manufacture, as even the youngest apprentice can follow a template to link the rings together and the addition of the leather side pieces makes it much easier to re-size it to fit different individuals. These shirts vary in length from just below the hip, to just above the knee. Oftentimes the individual rings are not even rivited, simply butted together with riveting only done on the shoulders and around the collar bone. In exchange for the ease of manufacture however the armour offers considerably less protection than a mail halburk, particularly around the sides, and arms which are left uncovered baring a short tassle of chain that hangs over the shoulder. Many veteran soldiers who are equipped with this armour have taken to adding additional layers of chain to the shoulders since when fighting in a shield wall, the shoulder and collarbone is the most common target. Common mail typically comes with a simple iron kettle helmet or leather skullcap.

Mail Halburks are constructed entirely of riveted mail and will reach to just below the knee on an average human. The front and back of the ‘skirt’ are slit so that the wearer can more comfortably walk and ride. Each suit should be tailored to fit an individual since a tight fit about the chest and hips will better distribute the weight of the armour. Halburks offer good protection but their cost places them out of reach for most common soldiers and mercenaries. Unlike common mail, halburks also have full sleeves. This is the most common armour found on knights and poorer noblemen. It is generally paired with a kettle helmet or Spangenhelm.

Double Mail is very similar in appearance to mail halburks except that the skirt is typically shorter and the legs are instead protected by a separate pair of mail leggings. More significantly however double mail also has a more advanced manufacturing technique where the rings are linked together in a six in one pattern rather than four in one. This creates a much tighter weave resulting in increased protection. It is generally paired with a Spangenhelm or Nasal Helmet.
Shields:

Generally speaking there are only 3 shield options available in Normark. Round Shields (available in small and large varieties) and Body Shields. They can also be built to two different standards, either Common or Linden. Unlike other forms of armour shields do not lower the users AC. Instead, when struck by an attack, (but before damage is rolled) a shield user can opt to try and block the attack with his shield. This is accomplished by rolling a 4,5 or 6 on a D6. If successful then when the damage is rolled, it is instead applied to the shield rather than the user. Once a shield reaches 0 hitpoints it is rendered completely useless and must be replaced. Due to the disposable nature of shields professional warriors will often enter a battle carrying a large shield with a small one strapped to their back for use when their first shield is damaged beyond use. Once damaged (at all) it is almost impossible to repair a shield, being simpler to just discard the wooden planks and recycle the Boss

Generally speaking both Round and Body shields follow a similar pattern. They are made of two or three laminated planks of wood laid so the grain in each layer is perpendicular to the layer below around a central boss with a horizontal grip. The outermost layer is made of rawhide and often painted. Common shields are made of pine or oak while Linden shields are made of Lindenwood, a highly valuable wood for shield construction as it is both light and resistant to splitting. Lindenwood shields also often have an iron rim around the outside to make them further resistant to splitting. The construction of Linden shields is highly regulated with laws applying to the materials that may be used and how the shield itself must be constructed.

Small Common Round Shield 2GP 8HP 20-30inch diameter 5 lb
Large Common Round Shield 4GP 12HP 30-36inch diameter 10 lb
Common Body Shield 10GP 20HP approx 4 feet high 15 lb
Small Linden Shield 15GP 20HP 20-30inch diameter 4 lb
Large Linden Shield 20GP 28HP 30-36 inch diameter 8 lb
Linden Body Shield 30GP 36HP approx 4 feet high 10 lb

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
With regards to shields, I've read that it was common for some (Vikings and such) to continue using the boss as a buckler/handguard to deflect melee attacks after the wooden parts had been hacked away. So perhaps you could give the character a 1 in 6 chance to still deflect a blow after the shield's HP are gone. Perhaps with a roll of 1 rendering it useless even for that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads